What month post BC did your hair stop looking 'awkward'?

tapioca_pudding

And I use the term 'awkward' loosely.

Before when I was natural, around 6 months or so my hair wouldn't do anything but stick up on my head. I couldn't style it, it was too short to do much with, but too long to be a cute TWA again. So I wound up texlaxing. Now I'm transitioning again ( :rolleyes: ) and I'm trying to decide how long I'll transition for. I'd like to, ideally, be past that awkward stage so I'm thinking 8-12 months.

If you did the BC, at what point where you comfy with your hair?

(ETA _ I realize that some ppl are comfy with their hair from BC onward, with no awkward phases in between. I'm speaking to the ladies who did experience the awkwardness. :) )

I just BC December and Im currently wearing sewins and wigs. I would like to know the answer as well. Subbing to the post. :bump::bump::bump::bump:

For me, ummm...now. 8 whole months post BC, I'm finally happy with the styles I try. My hair "hangs" a lot better, and since I started my healthy hair journey at the same time as my BC, it looks so much better and healthier now too.

This is a great post! I always think about this. I BC'ed the end of March 2010, at about nine months post relaxer. I got my hair actually cut into a style though, so I think of it as being about five to six months of growth (so now, I have about 15-16 months of growth). I loved my hair at that length. I think the awkward stage for me was when my hair was CL-NL stretched (which, ironically, was the awkward length for my relaxed hair, as well). That was probably last summer, into the fall. Right around the months you're thinking of cutting.

I think the awkward stage is going to vary greatly, because it's not just the hair that makes it look "awkward". Face shape, face size, hair texture, I think all have something to do with it.

I think growing your hair out in general has its awkward phases regardless of natural/relaxed. Its that point where "IT'S TOO __________________ (insert your complaint here)"

I BC'd at 7 months, 3 weeks post relaxer. I didn't come out my awkward stage until about 1 yr, 7 months post BC (2 yrs & 2 months post relaxer).

I BC'd the first time down to 1/2" of hair.

My hair was most awkward during the 6-12 month stage (too long for a twa, too short to really style the way I wanted). During that time I wore fingercurls until it grew out.

And I use the term 'awkward' loosely.

Before when I was natural, around 6 months or so my hair wouldn't do anything but stick up on my head. I couldn't style it, it was too short to do much with, but too long to be a cute TWA again. So I wound up texlaxing. Now I'm transitioning again ( :rolleyes: ) and I'm trying to decide how long I'll transition for. I'd like to, ideally, be past that awkward stage so I'm thinking 8-12 months.

If you did the BC, at what point where you comfy with your hair?

(ETA _ I realize that some ppl are comfy with their hair from BC onward, with no awkward phases in between. I'm speaking to the ladies who did experience the awkwardness. :) )

It's funny (peculiar) you mention that time frame. My hair goes through an awkward stage about every 8 to 12 months. Getting through it the first time was rough.

This is a good idea, planning on the "now what?" phase before you get there.

I BC'd at 9 months post, It's been 6 weeks since my BC and I feel like my hair is totally awkward. I cant do much to it because it doesn't hang! I stick to just wash 'n go puffs and Twist out puffs. Thank goodness at 9 months I had enough length for a puff. Oh yeah even twisting seems like a challenge at this length, have to grab smaller sections.

For me I would say 1 year (which will be June 2011), but everyone else who has seen my hair says it looks good right now @ 7 months natural. I BC'd 9 months post relaxer June 2010.
Its looks nice right now, but I want more hair because I have a really big head.

8th or 9th month..but at my 16th month it started looking funny again, so its braided up for a while. Afterwards I plan on getting a deva cut..

NOW!!!! LOL, I am about 5 months post and my slow, awkward growing hair is looking raggedy; hence the twists (with extensions) I will be rocking for the next few months (self installed!) I am hoping at my 1-year nappiversary (September 2011) I won't be so awkward, but I am on 2011 HYH and so nobody is seeing my hair until December 31st 2011...

It depended on the hair cut. My first BC was the Hallie Cut and it took about a year. The second BC was a bob and that only took about 6 months.

:bump:

Thank you ladies for commenting!! I'm *thinking* that if I transition for 12 months then when I BC I'll have a bit of hang time and a decent amount of length. I can't see myself transitioning longer than that, especially since I'm already looking at my newgrowth and considering cutting a small section in the back so I can play with my curls. :rolleyes: :lachen:

This is a great thread! I'm about 10-11 months post relaxer (can't remember the exact date of my last relaxer), so I'm itching to BC. However, I have a round face and big head so I'm a little afraid of chopping to early. My plan is to stick it out until this time next year, but this is becoming difficult.

I'd have to say that my hair is not so awkward anymore. My definition of awkward for me is that I would try different styles (ie. two-strand twists, twist-outs, braid-outs) and it never really did what I wanted it to. Now it finally does and I have to say that I am really enamored now. Lol!
I am going on 18 months post-relaxer. Transitioned for 12 months.

I've cut my hair multiple times to about a half-inch. My awkward phase is about 6 months to a year. Right now, I'm 8 months past my last BC. I have enough hair to style but the length is too short to style quickly, if that makes sense. I love twist outs but I have to retwist my whole head each night because my hair is too short for larger sections, and twists just look like a hot mess on me right now. WNGs stop looking good on me at about 6 months, too; that's when my hair stops being easy to me and I get a strong urge to cut.

I'm 6 months post BC and angry at my hair because it's too short for styles but too long to be called a twa anymore. I just throw a hat on it and hide it until spring

I bc'd in November at 15 months post and my hair still looks awkward. Looks awkward in a bun, looks awkward in a 'fro, looks awkward in a braidout, looks awkward as I'm typing this and most probably will look awkward tomorrow.

Last edited:
Omg this is one of the best questions!!! I BC'd after an 11 month transition, I am 3 months post bc now. Thank God my hair is growing because I am slosh seeing the silver lining. It's still MADD awkward but at least I believe the craziness is nearing it's end. Like a few have said it's too short for any cute styles and too long to be a TWA. So I make sure it's presentable and K.I.M. As long as it's healthy I don't stress.

I bc'd in november at 15 months post and I'm hair still looks awkward. Looks awkward in a bun, looks awkward in a fro, looks awkward in a braidout, looks awkward as I'm typing this and most probably look awkward tommorrow.

Lmao well your hair must be my hair's long lost twin lol

Back