What does fine hair look like long?

Kinikakes,
Same here for me. However, when I rollerset, I put oil on my ends to seal them and I do mean my ends (like the very last inch of my hair) for the very same reason you mentioned. And I literally have to put about 3 drops of WGO; any more than that will still be too heavy.

I was interested in the thickening poo/consish, but have the feeling that it actually doesn't contribute to NG coming in thick, just the illusion of thickness in a finished style. Does the castor oil do differently? How do you plan to use it?

TIA!:)

BB

KiniKakes said:
Well in the past, when I planned to wear my hair down, I just did NOT use any oils in it, period. That meant nothing on my scalp.... no oil sheen.... nothing. Once the stylist had taken the rollers out and blown my roots out, I wouldnt let her do the final step, which is to spray it with sheen. She always looked all confused and what not, but I know MY hair, and oils dont work for me. Either way, because I washed my hair once a week, it was fine with no oils..... my scalp naturally produced oils on its own, so by Day 3 or whatever it was no longer as bouncy and oil-free. By the time the week came to an end, it was looking slightly limp and oily anyway, which signified to me that it was time to get it washed. The only problem is that my ends would be rather dry, which couldnt have been good for them.

Fast-forwarding ahead...... this is moot since joining LHCF, and now that I wear protective styles nearly every day. Today I use a whole lot of oil (ie. MTG, essential oils, water-based moisturizers, etc.) But its fine, since I bun my hair most days. However, when I first leave the salon, I walk out with it down and I allow myself to enjoy wearing it down for the next few hours.... so I still refuse to let them put any oils in it when they're done. I prefer to put all my own oils in it..... and once Ive arrived home and am ready to bun it, I already know that I just wont be wearing my hair down at all for the rest of that week.

So my situation is kind of unique, in that its "all or none" for me. Im not saying that you should do the same. If you are one who enjoys wearing ure hair down.... and feels like its just too dry with nothing at all.... perhaps you can just find a REALLY light oil (ie, Kemi Oil or KeraCare Essential Oils) and just use it very sparingly. If you dont comb it thru your hair or wrap it, hopefully it wont travel through the length of your hair or weigh it down.

I know that explanation was a tad long and somewhat convoluted.... i hope some of it helped!

blackbarbie said:
Kinikakes,
Same here for me. However, when I rollerset, I put oil on my ends to seal them and I do mean my ends (like the very last inch of my hair) for the very same reason you mentioned. And I literally have to put about 3 drops of WGO; any more than that will still be too heavy.

I was interested in the thickening poo/consish, but have the feeling that it actually doesn't contribute to NG coming in thick, just the illusion of thickness in a finished style. Does the castor oil do differently? How do you plan to use it?

TIA!:)

BB

Well I personally havent tried the castor oil yet, but I recall Miss Fallon saying that the Jamaican Black Castor Oil had thickened up her hair considerably, and she has before/after pics in her Fokti. :)

I'll probably just massage it into my scalp several times a week, and bun.......

MissFallon said:
Just to let you ladies know, Jason's Natural Thin-To-Thick Shampoo helps alot with making your hair full and thick. I use it and my ng is growing in super thick and the ends and length are thickening up as well. I use the Shampoo and Conditioner.

Where did you get the shampoo from? I will be trying castol oil starting next week.

PS - MsFallon your hair looks gorgeous!

Fine hair woman right here!
I have fine strands and this is what convinced my hairstylist (who then conviced myself) to do a texturiser for the moisture, ad the volume it allows the hair to have. That is fine by me, really. But if I want to flat iron my hair , I don't want it to look limp.
Since it is layerd (a thing I'll take care of when my hair will be at APL or SL), I do outward flips.

Shine-On:
I definitely have fine hair. Don't believe me?? Just check out my fotki album. Don't let some of the pictures fool you. :lol: Just check out my album entitled: "The Awful Truth!" and you will see what I mean when I say that I have "fine hair". My hair has always been fine. My pssword is: hair pics

Currently, it's a little longer than shoulder length (I just got a trim a few weeks ago).

I need a BLUNT cut though because my hair is fine, so no layers for me. I made the mistake of getting layers one time. What was I thinking?? My hair always looked anorexic.

Good thread! :up: I was wondering how my hair would look at BSL since I have such fine hair.

My hair is fine also. My avator should be updated because I actually cut about 2 inches off recently. The ends were looking a little hurt, and I wanted a blunt cut, so now it's just hitting armpit again as opposed to btw armpit and BSL. I had alot of shedding last year that contributed to the thinness (due to changing BCP). You can check out my fotki also. PW in my siggy.

HighlyFavored1 said:
are any of you fine haired ladies using phyto index 1?

Yes, I use Phyto index 1. I have been texturizing for about 8 months. I started using Phto Index 2 and it made my hair too straight. My hair is a modest shoulder length with about 2 inches of relaxed hair on the end of my texturized hair. My texturized hair is thicker and healthier than the relaxed hair so I'm slowly trimming off the thinner ends as I go. By the end of the year I should be all good.

My hair is fine but the new growth is coarse, if you know what I mean--Phyto Index 1 did NOT work well for me; I never tried 2 cause I was so fed up but that might have produced better results.

My hair is approaching bra-strap and I have a few long layers cut in it. They've never bothered me, but I also deal with having fine hair with a ton of body, which isn't always the best combo. Surge broke a patch of my hair underneath in the back :mad: so I have a see-thru area I'm growing back. I find that length adds weight, which works better for fine hair. My body is better controlled when it's longer too.

I think the longer my hair gets, the better it looks and behaves.

I used Phyto index 1 after going without a relaxer for a year. It made my hair very straight, with no body, and kind of dry. My hair is so fine that it's already straight after leaving a relaxer in for less than 10 minutes. So I didn't even leave it in as long as the directions called for and it was still too straight. The milky reconstructor didn't do anything for my hair. the relaxer lasted a long time though, I didn't relax again for another 5 months.

BTW- my hair is close to BSL but in loose layers. I'm thinking about cutting off about 2 inches because I'm tired of my thin ends.

Last edited:
I have 3c/4a(mostly 4a) hair. It is fine as well. I have a head full of hair which makes my hair appear thick. I have a pic that I will attempt to post showing my hair wet and dried with curls. Wish me luck :lachen:

Attachments

• close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 30
  • added curls.jpg
    added curls.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 33
Fine haired lady checking in. I have always favored layers but never minded the roller setting since that was the only way I styled my hair after washing. Now that Im transitioning I would LOVE a blunt cut just so my braid/twist outs would come out better and I wouldn't have to worry about the pieces of hair in my face. I dont believe in thickening shampoos but I do believe in change of product (i.e. castor oil) or diet. I cant use too much oil or else my hair just hangs there. It seems as though some stylist dont recognize that because they insist on heavy creams/oils for my scalp or hair.
Im glad to see so many thin haired ladies.

Fine hair is the story of my life. This year has been tragic for me. I've cut my hair like ten times.

I've always had fine hair, but in the past it's been full. This year it's been fine, sparse and anorexic.

I did a blunt cut about six weeks ago and I will try to make shoulder length by the end of the year.

I have thin hair also. and I have tried everything to make my hair appear thicker. When It's down you can see right through it at the ends. I hate it. When I learned to do the braid it was on and poppin. I can't do it all the time because my hair tangles and knots a lot. When I flat iron it looks nice but my ends are thin. Roller setting is good to. But if you have thin hair you have to get regular trims to keep the ends blunt and healthy. layer are evil. I don't like to trim but I have found that it is the only thing that works. I also found that all those things that make my hair light and fluffy, feel nice but thin hair needs alittle weight to swing. If it's to light its all over the place when the wind blows and tangles. at least mine does.

I have fine strands with a lot of hair. So it has the illusion of being thick, but all you have to do to touch it to see how light it is. It has been a challenge finding the right mix of product and process for my hair. I currently use almost no oil on my hair unless I am putting it up. (Hollywood carrot oil is a favorite)

Putting hair up (at least pulling it back) has been another challenge. I have had so much breakage in the front of my hair from buns. So I had to reduce buns greatly and find other alternatives. I wear my hair down probably more than most on here. I don't think this is ideal, but since the biggest problem for me right now is growth in the front and crown area, I avoid styles pulling my hair back as much as possible.

Product wise, I am still finding my staples. But I have found that clarifying is my friend. I think I need to do that more often than I used to. I think I am going to try Elucence's clarifying shampoo.

Another fine-haired lady checking in!! My hair always been fine/medium textured. Like KiniKakes, I avoid putting oil on my scalp and hair when it's dry. I do use oils when I'm deep conditioning, then I wash it out. I find that this is really working for me. I wear my hair up daily and I don't like wearing it down because it looks thin on the ends, but removing my thin ends did improve alot. I have thin edges, and I find that stretching my relaxers is helping and using peppermint oil for the tingle :lol: . I hope my edges will start thickening up soon.

peacelove said:
Putting hair up (at least pulling it back) has been another challenge. I have had so much breakage in the front of my hair from buns. So I had to reduce buns greatly and find other alternatives.

How were you getting breakage from buns? What alternative are you now using?

Hey, Peacelove, try the Good Days Hair Pins for a loose updo - doesn't look as polished as a slicked back bun, but they do the job.

Another fine haired lady checking in...

I have my hair cut in layers. Maybe I'm weird but when my hair is in a blunt cut it looks thinner (um...... wet cat thin... ok not really thin but really top heavy.....unless it's cut short then I have semi-big helmet hair... isn't that odd?) I decided to get longer layers to give it some body and lift. It's pretty healthy now and I like it... but i'm tempted to get some highlights in... then I remember how drying it is and say no.:ohwell: :look:

Another fine hair sister checking in. Since learning this site i've learned that my hair needs no-lye relaxers only and adding my oils with my conditioners seem to give my fine hair some weight but dosen't make it so heavy that it's just lifeless. Grapeseed oil has been a godsend. Castor oil is too thick for my hair. I've been trying to do the baggie/bun method, that's tough but i'm liking it during the summer months.

My hair is fine and is currently the length shown in my avatar after having trimmed off about 3". Layering is not pretty on fine hair in my opinion unless it is in a short cut, which I have done many times over my adult life. I agree a blunt cut is necessary if you want your hair long and it is a fine texture so that it does not look thin.

Another FHL Checking In.I Really Wish My Hair Wasn't So Fine.It Causes A Lot Of Tangles Which Makes Me Have To Drop One Of My Challenges Again.:( I Think I May Have To Try Humecto Or Go Back To NTM To See If It Will Help With The Tangles.I'm Tired Of Switching Products!!!!!!!!!!!:whyme: I Want Something That'll Let Me Stretch Until Who Knows When.I :love: Paul Mitchell But I May Have To Abandon Him.

Back