Any Long Fine Hair Naturals?

FlawedBeauty

Hey yall. So recently ive been getting back into my hair care routine. I mainly wear my hair straightened (once every three weeks) because I don't like the length yet of my hair when curly and also because I don't have to manipulate it as much once straight. I'm a little past bsl straightened and my hair is very fine, like zero density.

Anyways are there any long FINE haired naturals here or on YT? I love watching natural hair vids but all of the ladies seems to have thick lush heads of hair. My hair has always been fine like my mom's and can only take so much manipulation so I'm at a loss for how to handle my natural hair if it's not in a straightened state because my hair can't handle much without getting damaged.

I have fine hair as well. It’s also not very thick. It’s definitely hard to find long fine hair natural on youtube as well as on here.

A few I can think of right now are Finally Amber (aka Hair Mary), Kolana Kurls, What Lies Beneath the Weave (I believe she has high density with fine strands), BeautiFro Hair (one of my faves, she only posts once in a blue moon, but I still watch her older videos for inspiration.)

I have fine hair as well. It’s also not very thick. It’s definitely hard to find long fine hair natural on youtube as well as on here.

A few I can think of right now are Finally Amber (aka Hair Mary), Kolana Kurls, What Lies Beneath the Weave (I believe she has high density with fine strands), BeautiFro Hair (one of my faves, she only posts once in a blue moon, but I still watch her older videos for inspiration.)

Thanks for these.

I'm going to check out What Lies Beneath the Weave right now. I didn't realize it until this thread, but I could REALLY use some inspiration from someone with long, fine, yet high density hair. This hair appears "thick" due to the density, but it must be dealt with very gently due to its fineness.

Thanks, @FlawedBeauty, for creating this thread.

Thanks for these.

I'm going to check out What Lies Beneath the Weave right now. I didn't realize it until this thread, but I could REALLY use some inspiration from someone with long, fine, yet high density hair. This hair appears "thick" due to the density, but it must be dealt with very gently due to its fineness.

I found one fine haired natural and I can't remember who it was bit she said something crazy and I just gave up lol. Something to the effect of it was normal for our ends to be see through....and this was after straightening...and I was just like no ma'am because my ends are definitely not see through when straight lol.

I found one fine haired natural and I can't remember who it was bit she said something crazy and I just gave up lol. Something to the effect of it was normal for our ends to be see through....and this was after straightening...and I was just like no ma'am because my ends are definitely not see through when straight lol.

Was it this girl? She claims her hair is healthy but idk......

Thanks for these.

My hair is similar, too. It’s short, cottony and fine but dense, so it appears thick. I noticed on YouTube people use fine/thin interchangeably when they are not the same. I was going to recommended PowerInYourCurl myself. Daye La Soul is another fine-haired dense natural.

My hair is similar, too. It’s short, cottony and fine but dense, so it appears thick. I noticed on YouTube people use fine/thin interchangeably when they are not the same. I was going to recommended PowerInYourCurl myself. Daye La Soul is another fine-haired dense natural.

Yes, it drives me CRAZY how people interchange fineness (thinness of the individual strand) with low density (small number of strands per square inch of the scalp). I've had people tell me that my hair isn't fine. My avatar photo may make it SEEM like I have THICK (in other words, COARSE) individual strands, but I definitely, definitely do not. I just have tons of very fine strands.

Many thanks for sharing! I'll check out Daye La Soul. I don't think I've ever seen her.

Yes, it drives me CRAZY how people interchange fineness (thinness of the individual strand) with low density (small number of strands per square inch of the scalp). I've had people tell me that my hair isn't fine. My avatar photo may make it SEEM like I have THICK (in other words, COARSE) individual strands, but I definitely, definitely do not. I just have tons of very fine strands.

Many thanks for sharing! I'll check out Daye La Soul. I don't think I've ever seen her.

Yep! Daye mentions in the video that she needs lighter products but a ton of it to cover all of her hair, and that’s basically how mine behaves. Heavy oils and butters leave a coating that I can feel, but I have to be really heavy handed when I apply lighter products. My hair also tangles easily, both when natural and relaxed.

Now that I’ve re-read the OP, it seems like she wants low density & fine Youtubers, though? I’ll have to think of some....

Yep! Daye mentions in the video that she needs lighter products but a ton of it to cover all of her hair, and that’s basically how mine behaves. Heavy oils and butters leave a coating that I can feel, but I have to be really heavy handed when I apply lighter products. My hair also tangles easily, both when natural and relaxed.

Now that I’ve re-read the OP, it seems like she wants low density & fine Youtubers, though? I’ll have to think of some....

:yep:

Yes, exactly! Mine, too!

Having dense hair made me think that leave-in SPRAYS were silly for my hair. But once I learned about the density versus strand size thing, I gave liquid leave-in sprays a chance. They work BEAUTIFULLY. The trick is, because my hair is so dense, I have to spray it on in sections. And because my hair is natural, I have to squeeze the liquid into and down my strands.

I never knew it, but using a cream leave-in under my gel for my wash and go's and twist outs was jacking EVERYTHING up, no matter how thin the cream. That was because my strands are fine. Cream and then gel? Too much product for my fine hair. But liquid plus gel? PERFECTION!

:yep:

Yes, exactly! Mine, too!

Having dense hair made me think that leave-in SPRAYS were silly for my hair. But once I learned about the density versus strand size thing, I gave liquid leave-in sprays a chance. They work BEAUTIFULLY. The trick is, because my hair is so dense, I have to spray it on in sections. And because my hair is natural, I have to squeeze the liquid into and down my strands.

I never knew it, but using a cream leave-in under my gel for my wash and go's and twist outs was jacking EVERYTHING up, no matter how thin the cream. That was because my strands are fine. Cream and then gel? Too much product for my fine hair. But liquid plus gel? PERFECTION!

Yep, you’re my hair twin. :lachen: I discovered the joys of leave in sprays recently, just made a thread on it. I bought a sample of NG’s Vanilla Fig spray, and I liked it for moisture but I have to keep spraying and spraying to coat my hair. That 2 oz bottle didn’t last long.

When I do wash & go’s, I don’t actually use a leave in. They never seemed to make a difference other than adding extra buildup. I always thought I was weird lol. CRN Curl Maker has humectants that keep my hair soft so I use that alone. I just spritz with water daily to refresh then cowash midweek and restyle. I tried a light NG leave in last week (feels like a lotion) under the gel and that was good, but for example, CRN’s buttery products are a no-go. My hair also frizzes like crazy. I need products with good definition.

Yep, you’re my hair twin. :lachen: I discovered the joys of leave in sprays recently, just made a thread on it. I bought a sample of NG’s Vanilla Fig spray, and I liked it for moisture but I have to keep spraying and spraying to coat my hair. That 2 oz bottle didn’t last long.

When I do wash & go’s, I don’t actually use a leave in. They never seemed to make a difference other than adding extra buildup. I always thought I was weird lol. CRN Curl Maker has humectants that keep my hair soft so I use that alone. I just spritz with water daily to refresh then cowash midweek and restyle. I tried a light NG leave in last week (feels like a lotion) under the gel and that was good, but for example, CRN’s buttery products are a no-go. My hair also frizzes like crazy. I need products with good definition.

Yesssss! To almost all of this.

That CurlMaker is excellent on my hair, but not for hold. It's GREAT for shine and definition and moisture.

And yes, my hair frizzes like crazy. It's because my hair is fine, I believe. The thin strands just lift. I'm accepting it.

Soon I will try a sample packet of the Shea Moisture Almond and Argan deep conditioner. Supposedly, it's amazing for fine hair to tame frizz. I'll see. :smile:

That CurlMaker is excellent on my hair, but not for hold. It's GREAT for shine and definition and moisture.

And yes, my hair frizzes like crazy. It's because my hair is fine, I believe. The thin strands just lift. I'm accepting it.

Soon I will try a sample packet of the Shea Moisture Almond and Argan deep conditioner. Supposedly, it's amazing for fine hair to tame frizz. I'll see. :smile:

Yea that is why I cowash mid-week, because the CRN won’t hold my hair all week long. Also, by then my hair gets dry. I don’t mind it b/c my hair is short anyway. I tried to use CurlMaker with a rod set and it didn’t even last a day lol. When my hair is longer, I’m not sure how I’ll be styling it. I’ve sort of accepted that my hair is frizzy and styles won’t be lasting long. :laugh:

That video was great info!! Thank you!!

What's everyone using for a leave in. Everything I try just seems so heavy. I currently have tgin supermoist, blueberry bliss, and sheamoisture raw shea (way too heavy) leave ins.

What's everyone using for a leave in. Everything I try just seems so heavy. I currently have tgin supermoist, blueberry bliss, and sheamoisture raw shea (way too heavy) leave ins.

I juuuuuuust made the discovery that liquid leave-ins work best for me. So I haven't had the chance to trial to many of them. Right now I'm using a do-it-yourself (DIY) ayurvedic leave-in. It's super simple and great on my high porosity hair.

Before that I used Oyin Hair Dew with great success for long-lasting moisture, even though it's a thick product. It just worked somehow. I DETEST the smell of it so . . . to the point that I was unable to purchase a second bottle. But my hair was chronically dry before I used it. Dryness solved. I wasn't doing wng's I don't believe at the time. I was just washing and moisturizing and puffing my hair. That to say, I don't know how Oyin Hair Dew plays with gels. It's available in Target, the line's website, and other places. It's typically raved about for many, many heads.

I have also used Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Lotion, the TGIN leave in, Kinky Curly Knot Today, Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream, Soultanicals Frizz Whizz, a creamy Soultanicals leave-in that I no longer see on their site (Fluffalicious or something or other), and many more. the Curl Junkie is ah-maaaaaaaaaaazing for detangling. I have not experienced a more slippery product YET, and I've tried a LOT of stuff.

None besides the Oyin have done much for me moisture-wise, which is crazy. They are great products and many people use them with GREAT success at getting moisture.

How I Make the DIY CurlyProverbz Ayurvedic Hair Tea

Please open the spoiler if interested in the DIY ayurvedic leave-in I use at the moment.

NOTE: You can leave the tea in, rinse it out, etc., and I use it as a leave-in. The video I base my recipe upon is linked below at the end of this post. In the future, I will probably add ROSE POWDER.​
  • Get a typical tea cup.
  • Fill it about 3/4 full of distilled water. You can fill it a little more. There just needs to be space for adding powders.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of Napur 9 Henna.
  • Add 1/2 a teaspoon of aloe Vera powder.
  • Add 1/2 a teaspoon of amla powder.
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of of brahmi powder.
  • Add .125 mL of Mango & Lime Vitamin A, D, and E Castor Oil from Sally's, because I love the smell of it
  • Let sit for 4 hours.
  • Pour off the liquid into a spray bottle (leave the sludge behind; can use it for something else DIY if desired)
To use: Spray onto hair section by section, squeezing it into the hair. It's a little messy (can get brown liquid onto your sink). Refrigerate when not in use. What I do is put a small amount in a tiny, tiny spray bottle that I leave in the bathroom and do not refrigerate, and I leave the rest in a bottle in the refrigerator. I refill the tiny spray bottle as needed.

Subscribing .....I needed this thread ! I've wasted a lot of time and money trying to find products that give me moisture and curl definition . My hair is fine/low density and low porosity.

I use Oyin Hair Dew, Carol's Daughter Curl Hair Milk Lite, and if I'm doing a WnG, Uncle Funky's Daughter Good Hair or Camille Rose Coconut Water Leave-In. I have a ton more, but those are my go-to's.

I put my leave-ins on my hair while soaking wet and then use a microfiber towel to soak up extra moisture before using my styling product, unless I'm doing a WnG. I put all products on soaking wet hair when I'm WnGing.

I use Oyin Hair Dew, Carol's Daughter Curl Hair Milk Lite, and if I'm doing a WnG, Uncle Funky's Daughter Good Hair or Camille Rose Coconut Water Leave-In. I have a ton more, but those are my go-to's.

I put my leave-ins on my hair while soaking wet and then use a microfiber towel to soak up extra moisture before using my styling product, unless I'm doing a WnG. I put all products on soaking wet hair when I'm WnGing.

I have to try putting product in wet hair another try. I hate putting creamy product in soaking wet hair. It makes my hair feel like crap when it dries. Maybe I was just using the wrong products idk

Mielle Organics White Peony leave-in, it's thin but packs a punch. I also like Alikay Natural Lemongrass leave-in.

Oyin hair Dew works well because the PH is 4.5 but it flakes.

As a fine haired natural dusting your ends frequently is also very important.

I have to try putting product in wet hair another try. I hate putting creamy product in soaking wet hair. It makes my hair feel like crap when it dries. Maybe I was just using the wrong products idk

Putting it in wet hair and then using a microfiber towel is the only way it works for me. It seemed counterintuitive to me at first, but I guess it works because the only stuff left on my hair is what has absorbed into it, if that makes sense?

I use creamy leave ins like The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian Leave in lotion, Hydrathermal Naturals Protein Leave In or It’s a 10 leave in spray. Just be sure not to use a heavy handed application while trying to get an even distribution.

I use creamy leave ins like The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian Leave in lotion, Hydrathermal Naturals Protein Leave In or It’s a 10 leave in spray. Just be sure not to use a heavy handed application while trying to get an even distribution.
Yea, I think being heavy handed is part of my problem. Since I usually section in six twists I am probably using more than I need to for each section. I don't use a ridiculous amount but I'm thinking even a nickel size amount may be too much for my strands.

It seems like everything I use as a leave in makes my new growth feel rough. When I say new growth I'm referring to that first like inch of hair that doesn't twist when doing twists. It's like the entire twist will feel pillow soft but that first inch is like nah lol. Maybe I have heat damage? I've never done a wash n go so idk but my hair curls up nicely when detangled, but to be honest idk if that's my true curl pattern because I've never gone longer than a month without straightening since being natural.

The SM Argan Almond Milk Masque is ahhhmazing, out of all their Derp conditioners this by far the best, I gave a mix of fine to course strands but lots and lots of density :afro:
Unfortunately this is one that doesn’t come in the jar just the sample packs but I get 2 treatments from it.
Purchased at Ulta
ETA : fine and course strands

Last edited:
The SM Argan Almond Milk Masque is ahhhmazing, out of all their Derp conditioners this by far the best, I gave a mix of fine to thin strands but lots and lots of density :afro:
Unfortunately this is one that doesn’t come in the jar just the sample packs but I get 2 treatments from it.
Purchased at Ulta

Yay, baby! Thanks for sharing this. I'm so hype. :D

Back