What do you like about growing your hair out?

ichephren

Hello ladies, It seems like we are always ragging on how slowly our hair grows(which is true) and all the other ills of hair growing, but for many, it's the first time that we have actually put a concerted effort into hair growing. For me,it's my second time. The first time I was natural, so my hair grew to BSL effortlessly even when I hardly had a regimen. This time, I am relaxed and my journey is harder. But I have to say that I love growing hair. I love being in braids and taking them out after x number of months and revealing another x amount of inches. I almost get a thrill out of seeing how long it has gotten. I love shopping for products and trying them out. I love getting to new lengths with my relaxed hair. It really gives me a hobby that I otherwsie wouldn't have. So, ladies, what do you like about growing your hair out. Is it the toys, the length, the personal growth, the "fill in the blank."

SignatureBeauty

I personally just like to watch my hair grow, I too had grew my hair long when I was natural and I still had the same routine as Relaxed hair.

But I like to prove some people wrong because they say that you can't grow relaxed hair long and that your hair is damaged the minute you apply a relaxer which I know it breaks down the hair bonds, But My hair grows either way as long as I give my hair TLC.

Plus I love to do my own hair!
I feel like my hair is a beautiful Plant that will florish as long as you take care of it and get rid of dead ends and keep it moisturized and let it breathe.

Candy_C

I like having something other than college and LIFE to focus on. my hair is like my little "thing" that nobody can tell me what to do with it.

I love seeing the progress when i get a retouch.

i think it keeps me stable. i mean if i didn't focus on myself i would be careless about my appearance. the only sad thing is i cant focus on hair and nails at the same time.

ravenmerlita

I like seeing my hair at each of its stages -- it's gone from cute, frizzy and chin-length, to spirally and midneck, to now where its crinkly-wavy and not-quite shoulder-length. I can't wait to get up in the morning, wash my hair and see how it's going to turn out today. Not to be overly-sentimental, but it's like watching a flower go from bud to bloom. While I keep wondering what the end result will be, I'll enjoy each day until I get there. :Rose:

SweetAKA

For me, I think its because when I had longer hair...I took care of it but not in the way I should have. Once I got sick and lost ALOT of my hair I was determined to find a way to get it to grow back. Then I found this website and seen that it can be fun. Makes me feel great when I'm doing something that helps me look good, and it makes me feel all girlie (as my mom would say). Now I can watch it grow back even stronger and healthier than before, and once I get my hair back to the length that I want I will know how to take care of it so that it will stay that way.

Not to mention buying things for my hair and doing it myself. Gives me some alone time to think and just know how much good I'm doing for my hair. :)

Isis

What I love is that when I learned how to put together a good regimen that works, it's fun! I too enjoy seeing more length whenever I do a touchup, getting hair compliments from strangers, learning new tips from the ladies on LHCF, watching my hair get healthier.

Mainly, I enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get when caring for my hair and assisting others with their hair whenever I can.:)

blueabyss333

...Just like the site says...I like having long hair. It's a sense of acheivement, feminity. For black woman, I think having long hair is a commodity. There might be a lot of us on the forum with long hair, but think about the women you see in your daily life (at least for the east coast). Most women have short hair, that "doesn't move" :lol: (yes, I know better ladies).

morehairplease

Isis said:
What I love is that when I learned how to put together a good regimen that works, it's fun! I too enjoy seeing more length whenever I do a touchup, getting hair compliments from strangers, learning new tips from the ladies on LHCF, watching my hair get healthier.

Mainly, I enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get when caring for my hair and assisting others with their hair whenever I can.:)

this is exactly how I feel. Today I almost fell in the bathroom b/c my sides have filled in(they were completely gone when I got my BC in Dec.) but now they are filled in.......I am SO SO happy about that.

loonatick

ravenmerlita said:
I like seeing my hair at each of its stages -- it's gone from cute, frizzy and chin-length, to spirally and midneck, to now where its crinkly-wavy and not-quite shoulder-length. I can't wait to get up in the morning, wash my hair and see how it's going to turn out today. Not to be overly-sentimental, but it's like watching a flower go from bud to bloom. While I keep wondering what the end result will be, I'll enjoy each day until I get there. :Rose:

I agree girl, all my life i have never had more than 3 inches of hair due to lack of, and improper knowledge of how to look after my hair. Now believe me when i say, this is the longest my hair has ever been and i know it hasn't even started yet :grin:
I do enjoy being in this Short Stage, because most importantly it has been fun :) and i'll just continue to watch my hair progress to LONG!!! for the very first time!!!

Its just a matter of going through the stages...........

Isis said:

I love the fact that I have set goals and have met them. Also, I am developing my assessment and problem solving skills... kind of funny, but true. Breakage? Dryness? Figure out the problem, reevaluate your curent plan, start on a new better suited course of action.

Plus, I like swangin' it :grin:

Sistaslick

Isis said:

Same here. I love the hair care "light bulbs" that go off when I've finally figured out what brings total effectiveness and synergy to a hair regimen . . . or when I've mastered a new technique.

I love the progress that comes from the hard work and diligence I've put in, and seeing the looks in the eyes of those who said I would never have this. :yep: I enjoy helping others reach their goals even more because I grow personally from each experience.:D

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
For me I like seeing my own progress. I remember when I was in high school I had a friend whose french braid was almost waist length. I remember wishing I could get half her length but not knowing where to begin. Now here I am (years later) on my way to achieving something I have wanted since I was old enough to do my own hair. So I guess in some ways I get a sense of accomplishment.

~Nigeria~

I love pampering my hair w/ moisturizing treatments

I love watching my hair get healthier day by day

I love seeing how much further I can stretch my next relaxer each time I get one

I love finally getting a relaxer and seeing the growth progress I 've made

alexstin

I love the fullness as I slowly trim away thin ends. I love the length. I love the versatility(is that a word??). I love being able to "control" my hair. I love being a hair role model for my daughters and others. I love to see the new length when I get a touchup. I just love my hair.:)

SweetCaramel1

ichephren said:
So, ladies, what do you like about growing your hair out. Is it the toys, the length, the personal growth, the "fill in the blank."

i'm enjoying the time saved by wearing buns/ponytails, trying different products and trying to come up with different hairstyles. . my hair is enjoying a break from heat. :)

sky_blu

Lets see what do I like about growing my hair out?? Umh probaly wearing it in styles that I couldnt have before. MY hair was breaking in so many spots that even when I wore braids I would have some that would fall out. My main goal right now is achieving healthy length so I can wear my hair in different hairstyles without a weave.

so1913

I get satisfaction out of seeing what my hair looked like at one point in the past and seeing the difference in the present. Like when I look at pics of my hair when it was in a short cropped style, shaved in the back that I got back in 2001, it amazes me how totally different my hair is today! It's "cool" to me...how our hair grows and the things we can do with it.

Ambitious1013

*I love seeing my progress each month when I look at my pictures.
*I enjoy giving my hair the TLC that it needs to accomplish my hair goals.
*I realize that I am able to grow healthy hair and not get stuck in a "I am going to just keep my hair in a short pixie cut" rut. :)

czyfaith77

Since I have decided to transition, one of my favorite things about growing my hair out is discovering what my new growth feels and looks like. I have actually grown to love my natural hair. If someone would have asked me years ago to stop relaxing I would have looked at them as if they said Bush was their favorite president and that he knew exactly what he was doing in the White House.:lol:

I also like seeing the length. Also, I like the fact that caring for my hair has also caused for be to better care of my overall health (vitamins, eating better, etc) Last, I like the idea of knowing I can wear my own hair out when I want to. That I am not weave or wig dependent totally like most people where I live. Soem one asked in another post what makes you look at someone else's hair. My thoughts are if it is healthy and real. I really didn't realize how bad it was. Anyhow enough said...

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I like seeing my hair getting more and more beautiful with more knowledge and growth. I also like setting goals and accomplishing them.

gradygirl

I love the whole experience of growing my hair long. I never thought I could have long, healthy relaxed hair but finding this hair site and a lot of trial and error has made all the difference. I'm even loving stretching which is something that I have never done until now. I love feeling the new growth under my rollerset and wondering how much it has grown.

Eiano

I like flicking my hair in all the black girls' faces who say black folk can only grow hair to their shoulders..:mad:

I like being an inspiration.

I like seeing how long it can get!!!

MizaniMami

Candy_C said:
I like having something other than college and LIFE to focus on. my hair is like my little "thing" that nobody can tell me what to do with it.

I love seeing the progress when i get a retouch.

i think it keeps me stable. i mean if i didn't focus on myself i would be careless about my appearance. the only sad thing is i cant focus on hair and nails at the same time.

I like the way you said this. i feel the same way 100%

Starian

1. Taking care of my hair makes me more concious of my appearance. I'm just an average looking girl. I can't be average looking and picky headed, too. :lachen:

2.I look better with long hair. It suits my face better than most short cuts.

3.I loooove dispelling myths that black people can't have long hair. The only reason I wear my hair down is to show these Mexicans at my church that hey! I'm black and have hair past my ears! They are so ignorant. :ohwell: