• When my scalp is Tingling all the time

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • When I can’t ignore my newgrowth anymore

Votes: 142 45.8%
  • When others compliment me that my hair is getting longer

Votes: 94 30.3%
  • When I run out of products quicker

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • When hair starts seeming “bigger” (because of newgrowth)

Votes: 139 44.8%
  • other

Votes: 55 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AwesomelyNappy

How do YOU know your hair is growing?

for me, its when my hair in the back starts feeling like a sponge is growing out of my scalp (my newgrowth is really thick and...spongy)

Also, when my hair is constantly itchy... even after i wash it.

Since I'm natural, I can only tell if my hair is growing when either my scalp is itchy, I flat iron the hair, or other people notice. Sometimes I can tell if it's growing by stretching the shrinkage too. But that's not always accurate.

im natural so aside from taking pictures, the only way i know its growing is to stretch my hair to show its true length.

The way for me to know my hair is growing is when I can't go any longer doing my stretches. The longest I can go so far is 10 weeks! Another way is through my progress pics..

Last edited:
ohh, i forgot to add "thru progress pics" on my poll!

Thats one way i know too... cause sometimes you really cant tell it IS growing until you see a side by side comparison shot.

I know when my hair gets bigger. I've been using topical growth aids along with my multivitamin for about a month and my hair is huge.

Definitely when my hair (and my head:lachen:) seems "bigger". I know it's growing then.

I know my hair is growing because:
-Progress pics
-When I can’t ignore my newgrowth anymore
-When hair starts seeming “bigger” (because of newgrowth)

which leads to
-others compliment me that my hair is getting longer

I normally wear a ponytail practically everyday...but from time to time I wear my hair down...and when i wear it down....I notice WOW my hair has really grown. :yep:

I'm relaxed so it's pretty easy to tell but, I tend to really know when I can't ignore it anymore (i.e. breaking combs and such!:lachen:)

I am transitioning so I can tell by the
amount of new growth.

I can also tell in the shower, I feel it
starting to creep down my back.

I can really tell when I do rollersets & flat iron
my roots every 3 months.

I know my hair is growing because my roots are becoming thicker. Also when i wear my hair down (once every 3months) people are always complimenting me how long it's gotten. I take progress pics every touch up also.

I would select them all...lol. My scalp gets a little itchy. My hair gets 'bigger' and it's already kind of thick to begin with. I feel the need to wash more frequently to maintain my ng. People tell me that my hair is getting longer (my husband has stated this to me several times. He even stated once that he thought I had put the 'weave back in' after my last wash (I used a weave to grow my hair out last year)....LOL:grin:. He's such a sweetie....lol. He's even pointed out the ng in my part. It gets pretty thick..pretty fast I have to keep it moisturized and sealed (with castor oil..castor oil has made a world of difference for my ng)--- (I don't do heat..so no flat ironing or blowing out..only rollersets for me).

I haven't taken any progress pictures yet but I will at the end of this month or beginning of October when I get my retouch done.

ohh, i forgot to add "thru progress pics" on my poll!

Thats one way i know too... cause sometimes you really cant tell it IS growing until you see a side by side comparison shot.

yeah new growth is the obvious sign but pictures are the only way i can really "believe" my hair is growing :)

progress help alot and comments from other folks. sometimes you just don't notice:spinning:...

also i wear ponytails alot and the thickness of the my hair when i put it up is a huge sign for me

i notice my hair is getting longer when I have to use bigger rollers to rollerset my hair: there are 6 levels: i use to use 1 (small) alot: now i'm using more 4's now and some 3's

A combination of things...It starts with the itching..then my hair gets bigger and bigger until I can't take the new growth any more. After stretching for 10-12 weeks my new growth is ridiculous and I get a touch up. People tell me how long my hair has gotten, and I take comparison pics.

I know it is growing because of my relaxer touchup times. Obviously it is growing when I have my NG.

I have proof that I am retaining the growth because others comment on it and tell me that my hair has grown.

I'm natural so it's a little more difficult. I know it's growing when it falls to lower places on my body while it's wet in the shower. I also know when I straighten it, but it's difficult b/c I don't do hard presses so it can get big when straight and still need to be pulled to show lenght. I also know from progress pics. I suppose I could measure, but I haven't done that.

How can I tell

* Comparison pics
* People tell me my hair is "long now"...:)
* When I feel my hair on my shoulders & back
* When I start "swanging" it & it hits me in the face like a commercial...:p

I voted "other". I usually first notice my hair has gotten longer when it takes longer to style.

I'm natural and hiding my hair so its

a) when my cornrows get loose because of the new growth

and/or

b) when I smack myself hard on the back to kill the bug crawling on me only to find it was the end of a braid - yes this happened today! :grin:

When I can actually pull my hair longer without a comb. As a natural, it's sometimes hard to tell.:rolleyes:

I can tell my hair is growing when:

1. Takes longer to style
2. When I do my pincurls I count how many times I have to roll the hair around my finger...I started out rolling it 3 times around my finger...NOW on most of my head I roll the hair 4 times around my finger :D
3. I get the creepy crawlies on my scalp
4. My hair looks *bigger*
5. When other people compliment me
6. Comparison shots

I'm currently working on RETAINING what I grow. :wallbash:

Last edited:
Back