my ceramide questions

me-T

so from my understanding, ceramides act like a protein, but help to moisturize. so with me bein protein sensitive + always needing moisture, could i just replace protein with ceramide products?

will i have to be careful not to use a lot of ceramide in the same way i have to be careful with protein?

could i go in to ceramide overload?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Yes, ceramides to cause build up. But you can take care of that by clarifying regularly. (or whenever you feel the build up)

me-T

so they only cause build up when you use too much? doesnt' sound too bad. too much protein will have my hair like concrete, and some breakage definately follows

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
no, not necessarily excess use

In my experience I could not use a ceramide conditioner on two consecutive washes without clarifying between.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
What makes it different from other oils, fats and lipids? Why wouldn't coconut oil do the same thing?

Not trying to hijack your thread me-T! I have questions too, lol.

I believe that any EFA (essential fatty acid) would work the same as a ceramide product on the hair. I don't believe coconut oil is an EFA.

me-T

olive oil is an efa right? i would use flax seed oil, but i learned on another forum that using it while you're sheddin will make you shed more. i shed a lot already anyway.

as far as ceramides, i think i'm more confused:spinning:

Neith

olive oil is an efa right? i would use flax seed oil, but i learned on another forum that using it while you're sheddin will make you shed more. i shed a lot already anyway.

as far as ceramides, i think i'm more confused:spinning:

It is an efa. Many natural oils are.

I'm confused too. Why don't people report strengthening properties from all efa's?

Now I'm gonna have to experiment :lol:

anon123

It is an efa. Many natural oils are.

I'm confused too. Why don't people report strengthening properties from all efa's?

Now I'm gonna have to experiment :lol:

Actually there is some research to suggest that coconut oil strengthens hair.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094

ps: i found this page (lhcf, not the nih pag) while doing a google search for "ceramides conditioner" :lachen: why even stray from lhcf, it's all here anyway.

girlcherokee

i found this to be real interesting!

Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate and yield better results. In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss.

Artemis

Proteins are a part of the basic structure of the hair shaft, affecting and effecting the integrity of the hair from the inside out. Ceramides are simply supplemental and are meant to reinforce the cuticle layer, not penetrating the shaft, so there's no way that ceramides can compare to the importance of protein. Really, that would be like saying that your clothes can replace your stomach or heart or some other vital organ...Not saying that ceramides don't have any value but they just don't compare...

AtlantaJJ

I a natural and I plan to use ceramides when I use heat...sounds as if it would help create a protective coating for the cuticle as a barrier against heat...(Just a random thought from the peanut gallery)

jahzyira

Im addicted to ceramides! It seems like my hair didnt imporve until i incorporated them into my regimen. Now when i do use them i make a concoction of ceramide conditioners(redken,biolage,mizani) mixed with regular moisturizing conditioners(ntm daily deep, suave humectant), honey, oils, ect and deep condition once or twice a week and my hair has never been so healthy! I do agree as far as clarifying goes but my new staple shampoo is ors creamy aloe which i use once a month.

lovelexi

Im addicted to ceramides! It seems like my hair didnt imporve until i incorporated them into my regimen. Now when i do use them i make a concoction of ceramide conditioners(redken,biolage,mizani) mixed with regular moisturizing conditioners(ntm daily deep, suave humectant), honey, oils, ect and deep condition once or twice a week and my hair has never been so healthy! I do agree as far as clarifying goes but my new staple shampoo is ors creamy aloe which i use once a month.

bump...i know this is old but what kind of ceramide conditioners are you using?

southerncitygirl

i add wheat germ oil to my pre-poo mix, co-wash or poo + condish. no build-up and my hair is less frizzy and easier to detangle. i'm natural.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Biolage line of conditioner with ceramides, the biolage cera repair (on occasion) and wheat germ oil in my pre poo and DC.

jahzyira

bump...i know this is old but what kind of ceramide conditioners are you using?

Yea, my product arsenal has changed drastically.:grin: Now a days I just baggy with Kerastase Vita Ciment added to my leave-ins. Also, I have a large jar of Kerastase Resistance Age Recharge waiting for a special occasion as well as one lonely tube of Redken Rich defender... I really need to replenish my stash.:look: