What age did you get your first relaxer?

Nixx22jam

I was 12, living with my dad and he couldnt deal with my hair anymore. However after having my hair relaxed and breaking for 7 years I decided no more and now im bk to the length before I was relaxed. Onwards and upwards from here. What about you?

Janet'

I was 6 or 7...I can't really remember...But, I kept a relaxer for the next 20 years...

hopeful

I was 13. I just had to have a relaxer:(. My mom didn't really want me to but finally gave in. It was downhill from there...

JJamiah

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but:

:blush: Omg, scary! What were your results? What was your dad's reaction???

He never noticed really because I still kept it up in a pony tail. It came out very straight.

the part before the bolita was similar to how my hair looked the ends were just relaxed looking he never said anything.

UNTIL he saw the box in my room like 2 years later, and was like :blush: :nono: :perplexed :ohwell: asked me what that was, I was like :busted: a relaxer box, and he just was like :nono::nono::nono: :nono::nono::nono::nono: :nono::nono::nono::nono: :nono::nono::nono::nono: :nono::nono::nono:

SingBrina

When I was 6!!! However at age 22 I overdid chemicals and dying for three months and my hair suffered so I was scared n stopped relaxing in 2009. Then in 2010 I couldn't take that new natural and relaxed. My hair was always healthy until I overdid it so I couldn't blame the relaxer. Just too many chemicals (jet black dye, relaxer then bleach)

13StepsAhead

about 6 or 7; I actually spoke to my mom about this recently and she admitted to not knowing what to to do with natural hair and how proud she is of my sister and I for deciding to go natural. She actually did her BC in march, but she wears sew-ins because she doesn't want to deal with her co-workers reactions (I'm trying to convince her to get a nice wig)

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I was nine the first time.... I bothered my mom for it because I wanted easy to do hair like my cousin who was white. She did it that one time.... she didn't leave it in long so it came out like a texlax.

I have my hair fully relaxed at 12. I remember it was APL....then....it went all down hill from there... it broke off....I maintained SL hair from about age 14 till 25.

I transitioned to natural in 2007 then I relaxed after 11 months being natural.... now I'm natural again.

LittleLuxe

Probably 5 or so but my mom did a little bit of everything with my hair when it was younger, it wasn't a big deal for myself or my culture (Nigerian) and my hair was always healthy and long.

Frankly my hair didn't start to suffer until I wore weaves and I realized just how smitty some hairstylists are, now I'm back to taking care of my hair and being in tune with it's needs and am pleased with the results so far :grin:

JaszyFaye

I was a baby, like 4 years old. My mom was a teen mom so she treated me like a "doll' (her words, not mines) and my grandma was at work and my grandpa was sleep. Once he woke up he was soooooo super pissed. My hair went from being a curly bush to pin bone straight. :nono: I got my last relaxer when I was 15.

libertysince05

11, after years of badgering my mom and a failed jheri curl at 10.
I was the flower girl for a wedding and begged my mum for a relaxer when we were getting our hair done, the stylist concurred and my mum caved under pressure ( i wish she hadnt now).
Only lasted until i was 19 decided to bleach and then shave it off, been natural ever since...
I wanted a relaxer because i was a 'big girl' and didnt want to wear braids anymore...

Last edited:

SLOGRO

I was 10 and on vacation visiting my dad, his wife said my hair was too coarse and was cutting her hands so she relaxed my hair without my mother's approval.

Ladybelle

13 and I had to beg & beg my dad to let me get one then. He felt it would mess up my long, thick hair and he was right. by the time I was 17, I started to experience chemical damage.

Truth

I believe somewhere between 9-13.. It's all a gray area for me as far as what was going on with my hair when I was younger, but I know it was around this time.

Yoshi3329

Four year ****** old! SHDM. :nono::wallbash:

My mamma didn't give a crap about my hair. At all. No protein treatments, no moisturizing, just that funky pink oil. Bleh.:nono:

Now that I'm going natural she all up in my hair business, "are you treating your hair regularly?" "Are you washing your hair?" "Are you doing this?" Ma, you didn't care then, why are you caring now?

Sorry for ranting...:ohwell:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I was 18 the first time, and was under-processed...didn't relax again until I was 20. Was relaxed for 16 years, transitioned for 8 months, and then BC'd June, 2010.

Poopiedo

I was either 11 or 12. My first relaxer was Pressing Comb in a Jar. Do they still make that perm?

NikkiGirl

The summer before high school. My mom was totally against me relaxing my hair, but she gave in and let me do it for high school. I think I was thirteen.