At what age was your hair first processed?

Too young!!! I was too young to appreciate my naturally curly hair. I just wanted bone staight hair.

I was 7 years old. The stylist took me from midback length thick natural hair to a relaxed bob at my chin and I was in tears. I still get on my mom about that today. >.< LOL

I was 12 years old. I remember that I didn't want a relaxer b/c I thought you couldn't scratch your head - EVER! lol The stylist applied the relaxer and I didn't feel a thing. Unfortunately, the relaxer didn't take and he had to re-relax me. My head felt like it was on fire. Sadly, I experienced that many times during my years of being relaxed.

hair was always a big deal in my house I used to get it pressed to death when I was a very little girl, then my mother couldn't handle it (plus I begged) her to let me get a jerri curl when I was about 8-10 yrs old. After the curl I begged her to get a perm at about 13yrs old. My last perm was May 2003 I bced Oct 2003 I was twenty-three years old.

Feels good to be free :0). Feels even better to be me.

9. Went to Belize with my grandmother and was swimming every day. Well my press and curl head couldn't take the water and neither could my grannie so she slapped a relaxer into my hair. 21 years later I'm still caught in its tangled web but maybe I'll find my way out.

I was 12 and my mom gave me an Optimum. I remember it like it was yesterday! She set it on brown paper bags w/ flat beer as a setting lotion. /images/graemlins/look.gif Apparently, that was the thing back her day. Anyways, I had a love/hate relationship w/ my relaxer from then until I was 26. I LOVED the way it made my hair feel, but I HATED the fact that my hair never grew as long as it was before it was relaxed! /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

I begged my Mother for a relaxer, she wouldn't let me get one until I guess I was old enough to start doing my own hair. Up to that point, I wore braids, cornrows, plaits, puffs and press n curls.

I can't remember if I was 12 or 13 but I know that I was in the 7th grade because we took school pictures a few days after. Boy was I cheesin in that picture! Every time I look at it, I know EXACTLY why I was so happy. I had been fried, dyed and laid to the side! /images/graemlins/cool.gif I do remember burning a little and it taking a very long time for my hair to process, I know that woman left it in my head for about 30-40 minutes. /images/graemlins/tongue.giferplexed: But I knew I was looking good after I left. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Around third grade (around 8 years old)... I was looking at my yearbooks from elementary school and I was still sporting my natural hair in two pigtails in third grade. In my fourth grade pic, my hair was relaxed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The first relaxer my mom ever used on my hair was Just-For-Me! Then Hawaiian Silky, then Motions and Elasta QP.

Wow..I can't believe how young some of you were when you got your first relaxer!

I got my first relaxer when I was 21 and my hair has been relaxed until I began attempting to transition months ago and am serious contemplating going back--but that's a whole 'nother thread. As a child, my hair was pressed every two weeks. It was always shoulder length, so keeping it straight made it easier for my mom to manage.

I got mine at 9, I begged and begged, and hated being the only one with nappy hair. I still remember it, that first relaxer turned my hair brown!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Connie said:
Wow..I can't believe how young some of you were when you got your first relaxer!

I got my first relaxer when I was 21 and my hair has been relaxed until I began attempting to transition months ago and am serious contemplating going back--but that's a whole 'nother thread. As a child, my hair was pressed every two weeks. It was always shoulder length, so keeping it straight made it easier for my mom to manage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised when my mom told me she got her first relaxer when she was 18 years old! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ya'll are bringing back memories!!!!!

Age 8-Vigorol---that was the liquid stuff that smelled like rotten eggs...It was a "relaxer" it never quite straightened your hair enough to stop you from sweatin it out!!!!! It made it easier to press your hair...

Age 9--Cream Perm----I was so happy to get the "permanent relaxer"......super straight and flowing hair that didn't sweat out!!!! only thing I hated was sitting under the dryer...and I still hate sitting under that dryer....

I was 8 or 9 years old.

I'll never forget a converation I had with my mom when I was a senior in high school or so- she told me my hair was always soft and never that difficult to handle so she's not exactly sure about why she ever pressed or permed my hair. That planted a seed that helped me go natural almost 10 years later.

I was about 6 or 7. My mom was tired of pressing. She still has the same philosophy. She told me to texturize my 7 year old's type 3a hair so the fluffy edges wouldn't stick out.

I think I was 10. I begged my mom because my cousins were getting relaxers. I didn't want to maintain the looks so I was natural by the time I hit 6th grade. I've relaxed my hair and went natural many times. So all together I was relaxed on and off for about 9 years.

Re: At what age was your hair first processed? *DELETED*

I want to say in 5th grade but /images/graemlins/sekret.gif it was a jheri curl which just didn't work.

Back