Wash in Sections&Rollerset=Least hair loss in 18 months

Queen_Earth

Sorry so long!

Sooo I have been struggling the past year and a half to move from SL to BSL--I got to APL but BSL has been a challenge-I was protective styling but I couldn't figure out what was going wrong until I started to actually take pics of my hair and pay attention to hair loss on wash days. The past year I have been noticing that when I was getting washed and cornrowed for my protective styles I was losing a massive amount of hair not to mention between hair loss and "trims" I kept getting back to my starting point:wallbash:-I know for sure my hair was growing but I wasn't retaining anything due to breakage So I vowed to try these four things:
- no more salons
- moisturizing scalp and ends
- wash, detangle and "dry" my hair in sections
- more frequent quality checks

So this weekend I came out of my 6 week stretch-I had my hair out for about 4 weeks then I had it under my wig for two weeks-taking the wig off every day and dealing with my scalp and ends

I washed my hair (I didn't do it in sections because it was still pressed and I didn't think twist would stay in-since my hair is now not straight next wash will be in sections)

Then I 2 minute aphogheed

Then I detangled in sections, and DCed under my steamer (I used AO HRS and GBP as well as jojoba oil, coconut oil and olive oil)

Rinse in sections (after I was done rinsing I pulled shea butter and joboba oil through each section and retwisted)

Then roller set in sections (I used eco styler, Smooth Redkin, and Water)

Then when it was all done I sat under my hooded dryer And I got this

This is important because if you look at the picture on the left that is how much hair I lost this weekend...if you look at the hair on the right that is 1/3 of the hair I lost 6 weeks ago (I lost two more big balls like that once the hair stylist detangled, washed, and blow dried my hair)

THANK YOU LHCF...I am NO WHERE near where I need to be BUT I think I am on my way to BSL pressed and APL unstretched--in the future I am going to try to:
-- dust, search&destroy my own hair
-- think about porosity control and if it's something I need
-- rethink the protein--Next time I will not 2 minute Aphogee
-- continue in my wig challenge (This is my break/pass)
-- Continue in Castor Oil and Sulfur Challenges
-- Continue in low manipulation challenges

I am not sure how can I make any part better or if I did anything completely wrong but I am pleased that I was able to do it without going to salon and without losing so much hair! And I am pretty sure that I detangled properly...

I think it is ok to leave my hair like this for about three weeks...let's hope so

sharifeh

wow that's a dramatic difference in hair loss...good for you! :congrats:
your hair looks great too!

ceecy29

"So this weekend I came out of my 6 week stretch"

By stretching, do you mean wearing your hair pressed?

I'm glad you've found a way to minimize hair loss. I rarely detangle and that has helped me greatly.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Are you twisting and then roller setting? Your hair looks so gorgeous! Hair loss or not.:yep:

tada1

if i lost as much hair as you used to (the big ball on the right) i'll probably be bald by now! :lachen: im glad you figured out what works best for you. better late than never :yep:

Precious_P

It's always a good feeling when you can pinpoint your issue and then make the corrections that yield good results as yours. Now that you have figured out how to lose less hair keep us updated on your progress and any changes that you notice.

Queen_Earth

Thank y'all so much!! I really thought losing that much hair before was normal! When I asked my stylist about it she always said "well with hair like yours that's what happens...or it's been awhile so what do you expect"...thanks to LHCF I know better....

"So this weekend I came out of my 6 week stretch"

By stretching, do you mean wearing your hair pressed?
YES! I didn't know how else to call it; but I had my hair pressed 6 weeks ago and didn't put any more heat in it til I washed it yesterday...

Are you twisting and then roller setting? Your hair looks so gorgeous! Hair loss or not.

No twisting! I just set it with the flexirods

Bettina

Wow! Your hair is awesome and I'm very happy you found a method that works for you and reduces breakage--- I'm pretty sure you will reach your goals soon enough.