How many sections do you wash your hair in?

What's your magic number

• I don't wash my hair in sections

Votes: 81 36.2%

Votes: 31 13.8%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 57 25.4%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 23 10.3%

Votes: 6 2.7%

Votes: 8 3.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10+

Votes: 11 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wash in 4 sections. I am 7 months post and if I don't wash in sections, what is left of my hair (from shedding/breaking) would be one big a$$ clump.

I totally understand your questions :yep:
I asked the exact same question in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=413796

And guess what...? I wash in sections now :lol: I've found that it reduces detangling time for me A LOT. The only detangling I have to do is when I apply my leave in and take down each section (6 braids).

I cowashed this morning @ the gym and it took me less than 10 minute to detangle and put my hair in 2 ponytails (and I'm 13 months post with maybe equal amounts of natural and relaxed hair)

I'm officially hooked!
oKay I am going in!!!!! Don't be mad at me for asking, I really just want to know....

I have a question, as to why do you ladies section your hair?

Yes it is effective because you have easier access to your scalp, especially as a natural or transitioner :yep:
:ohwell: I've never washed in sections. Although, after reading what all of you have to say on this thread, it sounds like something I should start doing.

So, you just detangle, part the hair, plait it and do your whole routine (wash, condition, moisturize, etc) with your hair like that? Sounds like a good idea to fight off tangles, but is it really effective in actually cleansing your scalp/hair?

I'm natural, mostly 4a, some 3c. When my hair was shorter (SL-collarbone), I could get away with 4 sections. Now that I'm APL, I need more sections. I chose 6. If I do any less, my shed hair will curl around the attached hair and cause too many tangles. I will probably have to increase to 8 when my hair is longer.

i wash in 4 sections 'cause i'll need them when i do my hair. less parting wet hair= less breakage for me

eta:transitioning w/ bkt. still mostly straight hair

this is my second time doin sections. this time, i did 8, so that i could detangle one section at a time, then go straight to bantu knots. i like sectioning because on my last wash, it made it really easy for me to clean my scalp. before then i had been washing my whole head at once, and getting to my scalp seemed near impossible since i haven't been relaxed in a year in feb. my scalp felt great last time. no more itchies.

eta: oh, it made detangling a little easier since i had no choice to work with the small sections instead of tryin to rip my comb through my whole head at once. :look:

I section mine into 4.

2 in the back and two in the front.

Makes detangling super fast and no hair loss, for me!

This is the exact thing that I do, and for the same reason. I use hair clips to hold each section until I'm ready to take a section down and wash it.

I section mine into 4.

2 in the back and two in the front.

Makes detangling super fast and no hair loss, for me!
EXACTLY... this is what i do and it makes life so much easier... i pre-section before washing into 4 sections... this also helps me focus on the scalp more and also when applying conditioner it helps me get the conditioner
"in between"

Does everyone find it as their hair gets longer that they need less sections or is it the other way around?

I could wash in four and may start but as of late 7 is the best two in front two in back on one left and one on right and one on center

I don't usually wash my hair in sections but I have tried it a few times.

When I did, I would braid it in 4 sections wet w/o any product then co-wash detangle. I stopped because I didn't notice any significantly less time or less shedding either way. Plus the braids wouldn't hold, making the other hair get in the way which I found v. frustrating!

I saw a tip from other posters who use sectioning clips to hold the hair and I mas try this next time. I think as my hair gets closer to BSL I will need to section to help detangle and retain length.:yep:

I am 3 months post relaxer. After witnessing the tangled mess that I was left with after I shampooed my hair last night I will definitely be washing my hair in sections the next go-around.

Today was my first time sectioning while washing my hair - I did 4 sections. Love that it made detangling easy and hardly any hair lost. I will do this again! I think the 4 sections work good for my SL hair.

my hair is pretty big once it's wet and curly but I don't feel the need to section my hair when I wish, I didn't realise people did that :)

Back