Using Hair Butters as Moisturizers ?

bimtheduck

Im trying to go cone free and I've noticed a lot of ladies use hair buters as their moisturizer of choice. Specifically Qhemet Biologics (Burdock Root Butter Cream, Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm, Alma and Olive Heavy Cream), and Shescentit (Seyani Hair Butter).

So my question is are these products effective as moisturizers or are you all using them to nourish your hair and seal in moisture from a different product? Thank you for you help!

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I use 100% unrefined shea butter all day every day :yep: I don't "seal" or nothing! It's been working for me the past 2 years.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
The Olive Honey Hydrating Hair Balm is a 'sticky' feeling almost "gel" like substance. Hard to describe the feel, but it definitely keeps your hair moisturized (more so than the butters).

To Me, It almost feels like a mixture of a serum, a gel, and a light oil. Very Highly moisturizing.:lick: A little goes a long way.

The other 2 AOHC and BRBC are more of a Hair Cream than an actual butter. The BRBC is more lightweight than the AOHC(which works incredibly well for me at 8+ weeks post).

Unfortunately, I didn't care for the SSI Butters,:look: but:love2: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Deep Conditioners.:lick:

Toy

I use Qhemet Root Burdock Butter & the Olive & honey Balm for Moisture I have been using these 2 products for over a year.

bimtheduck

I took a look at the ingredigent lists and most of these have water as the first ingredient so im guessing it moisturizes and seals its self.

Sorry I'm being so simple.

So no need to seal with an oil then? Thats been working for you for 2 years lovenharmony? I might need to try this out and see how my hair reacts (I love my castor oil and coconut oil).

I think im going to order sample sizes next week!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I took a look at the ingredigent lists and most of these have water as the first ingredient so im guessing it moisturizes and seals its self.

So no need to seal with an oil then? Thats been working for you for 2 years lovenharmony? I might need to try this out and see how my hair reacts (I love my castor oil and coconut oil).

Very Smart Bim:yep: I also got the Qhemet Coco Tree Detangling Ghee which also moisturizes very well.:lick: (All in Sample Sizes).

They are nice sized samples and they last a while.:yep:

LovingLady

Very Smart Bim:yep: I also got the Qhemet Coco Tree Detangling Ghee which also moisturizes very well.:lick: (All in Sample Sizes).

They are nice sized samples and they last a while.:yep:

How are its detangling properties? Did it leave your hair feeling greasy?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
How are its detangling properties? Did it leave your hair feeling greasy?

I use it on dry hair to help me deep in my stretch. It is a mousse-y, whipped chocolate smelling product that resembles chocolate-mousse. I used it primarily on dry hair to keep my demarcation & NG moisturized. Would definitely repurchase. I've never tried it on damp hair.:ohwell:

It smells like coco-butter & chocolate.

sjones

I use Chi keratin spray mist and the honey balm as an every-other-day treatment for my hair--LOVE IT! My hair feels stronger and more moisturized, with a lotta shine from the honey balm. I haven't found anything more moisturizing than the AOHC for my girls natural hair (4a/b).

Snuckles

I use 100% unrefined shea butter all day every day :yep: I don't "seal" or nothing! It's been working for me the past 2 years.

I normally use all of the Qhemet's products you mentioned by themselves. I don't normally do anything to seal or provide extra moisture. Qhemet's products are complete on their own for me. Qhemet's products allowed me to airdry without worrying about repercussions. I LOVE Qhemet's products!

However just this week I decided to return to my roots which is shea butter. I've applied shea just about every day this week and loving it. My hair is soooo soft and fluffy!!

I have very tight, kinky hair where the term wash 'n go doesn't exist.

ryanshope

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but butter=OIL, and oils don't moisturize. They can seal in moisture(water) but they can't impart it(normally). So unless this is some special blend that has a humectant I don't know how well the butters will work as moisturizers.

Ms Lala

I think it depends on your hair. I've tried butters alone and my hair was just dry and greasy. I prefer them right after conditioning or after applying my moisturizer.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i use the BRBC as my moisturizer. its the bomb! long-lasting moisture, without it feeling tacky or making my hair hard. i had to go through whole containers of BRBC and AOHC to decide i liked BRBC better though. ♥

Nubenap22

I used the QB Amla cream and at first I didnt like it but as I started to transition longer My hair started to love it more and more...mmm I'm looking forward to buying some in the near future... I like their castor morning oil also...I have an extra one.....which I guess I can give it to someone or sell it....pls dont get me started...I just love the products ive tried from QB period!!!

hillytmj

I'm a big fan of the Burdock Root Butter Cream and I like to use it throughout my hair. In terms of my ends, when I use this product there, I still like to seal with a little oil. Otherwise, it builds up quickly and makes my ends stick together. A little oil helps give it a little slip that my ends need.

Pompous Blue

So the owner of Qhemet Biologics is a member here.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=396718&highlight=qhem

I'll be reading through the entire Qhemet thread tonight. Haven't tracked down the Shescentit owner yet.
shescentit.com is our member sweetcashew.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=4620

She makes wonderful products, is helpful and quick to responds to PMs and e-mails.

I'm natural and the butters I use to moisturize are shescentit.com's Seyani butter (favorite), followed closely by Qhemet Biologics' Amla and Olive Heavy Cream and Afroveda's cocolatte.

Last edited:

Creatividual

If the product has water (as the first ingredient) and oils in it, in theory, you may not have to. Go by the feel of your hair. If it still feels a lil dry then seal with an oil. My strands are fine so once I use a hair lotion, the one I use has and water and oils in it, I don't have to put anything else on top or I'll have greasy, weighed down hair.

Pompous Blue

What scent do you prefer in the Seyani butter?

I purchased the seyani in the following scents:
Coconut Lime Verbena
Strawberry
Citrus
Gardenia

The scents are not heavy but true to their name. I love flowery and fruity smells and these do not disappoint. Once applied to my hair, the scent dissipates and does not linger. I like that about her products.

I once applied a leave-in conditioner by another company and when my husband walked in the bathroom, he asked if I was baking a cake. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

bimtheduck

Okay ladies, I took the plunge and purchased Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream. I didnt want to wait forever for it to ship so I went to a store in my city and got it there. I LOVE IT! It smells great, it dosnt leave my hair hard, my hair feel soft and looks shiny and strong. I'm definitely going to go back and slowly purchse the heavy cream, the hydrating balm, and the detangling ghee.:yep:

They all contain MSM so now I just have to figure out want I'm going to use as a moisturizer the week leading up to my relaxer touch up.:ohwell:

Last edited: