Upgrade your products…upgrade your hair?

Do you get what you pay for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought VO5, Suave, lots of other under $5.00 products when I began my hair journey-worked well for co-washes; moved 'up' to Alter Ego, WEN, seamless combs. My hair likes the expensive products, does OK with them but now I'm moving onto simpler methods which are truly organic and natural. I use flax seed gel, AZTEC clay, olive oil and Fair Trade Shea butter-all 'cheap, cheap, cheap and my hair is loving the rotation as I wean myself to the homemades. I agree with those who say "Don't really think it is the cost but the contents which matter most":yep:.

I voted other. I think higher-end lines (Joico, Redken etc) do better for deep conditioning treatments. But a cheap Suave conditioner will suffice for co-washes.

when i was younger my mom used keracare&mizani products exclusively on me and my hair was always long shiny&healthy...no breakage or dryness...so i think its true to some extent, she keeps telling me that all the cheap products i use wont do anything for my hair and she almost had a heart attack when she saw me using Vo5 the other day lollol

My hair was long as a kid too....But my mom used some cheap shampoo called Flex (I don't know if they make it anymore), no conditioner whatsoever, and grease. I think it really depends on the individual's hair.

In general, I get better results from salon brands like Joico, Kenra, and PM. But there are some good, cheap BSS/drugstore products too.

My hair was long as a kid too....But my mom used some cheap shampoo called Flex (I don't know if they make it anymore), no conditioner whatsoever, and grease. I think it really depends on the individual's hair.

blackdiamond My mom use to wash my hair with flex too & use iindian oils that came in a tube...Brought back members ...I had super Thick Hair..But,I didnt have perms,radiation or other issues...

Happy Hair Growing!

i picked other cause it really depends on your hair.

like i 1st started with brands you get a walmart, but they were the wrong things and my hair didnt like it. then i switched to a brand specifically for "my type" of hair, and it was a total fail, waste of time and money. then i went back to store brands but with better knowledge on what my hair needed and my hair did wonderful!!!! i had zero complaints.... then i tried i higher end product again made for "my type" of hair and because i knew what to look for the new higher end product does EVEN BETTER!!!!

so i think its less about price but knowing your hair and knowing whats your limit you want to spend on you hair

ive tried expensive things but i found that i can get similar results with cheaper things.i think the quality of the product is the key, not necessarily price.

i am biased because i am also cheap:look:

Exactly. I like some expensive stuff but right now cheapy products seem to be working for me.

Most stylists are heavily biased against Pantene - probably because they (Pantene) sells direct to consumers rather than through salons or stylists. Stylists have plenty of incentive to recommend brands where the manufacturer markets through salons and no incentive at all to recommend drugstore products. Because of that fact the answer the stylist gave OP is not surprising. This doesn't mean she's not a good stylist, or a nice person, or her recs don't work - but just a reality about the politics of being a licensed cosmetologist. My go to products are upmarket, boutique but that's purely a personal preference it doesn't mean that drugstore brands are bad, and I have nothing against Pantene. Some people have very nice hair using only Pantene. I never buy beauty products just coz the label says "organic".

Funny, I saw a bottle of Derm Organic shampoo today and didn't buy it; and today the brand is all over this board.

Even if the product is high end, I'm still reading the ingredients list to see if I think it will work well with my hair. I like a lot of high-end, pricey stuff. I don't care if the label says natural or organic. I like drugstore products, too. I read those lists, too. For me, it's about what's in it. I'm not surprised by the stylists response, for her to say that a certain product is crap! How does she know it's crap for YOUR hair? If I'm using a product and I like the results I'm getting, it's not crap, I don't care how much it cost.

I don't have a problem paying $70 for a liter of Aveda, but I don't have a problem paying $2 for Suave Almond and Shea, either. I love my hair after using each one.

I marked 'other'. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you just get ripped off. There are too many ladies with beautiful hair on this board that don't use really expensive products for me to believe that you need them to transform your hair. The ingredients in the product and how you use the product matter a lot more than the price tag.

i have never met a better detangler than suave almond & shea (i don't feel it penetrates the shaft however) but it leaves my hair softer than ever!

however i have $50 dollar conditioners that don't detangle and leave a dry feel...... do idk

Last edited:
I don't think price has anything to do with it - it's more a mixture of personal preference and your hair's reaction to a product. I'm not a chemist so I won't comment on the ingredients since a "bad ingredient" can actually serve a good purpose in the product depending on its chemical makeup e.g. lye acts as a ph balancer in some products and silicones help to smooth the hair shaft. In many cases companies sell the same product in different packaging and charge more money for the "high end brand" and less for the "low end brand". Is the price different because one product is so much better than the other? No - it's different because they are aimed at different target audiences and the packaging and marketing costs also drive the cost of the high end product up.

In my case, I've found that the best products for me are the products that make the least claims - i.e. if its a shampoo, it only claims to clean your hair and doesn't also claim to rebuild and fortify the strands and all the other bs advertisers dream up. This is mainly because I have allergies and I've found that the more great things a product claims to do, the more likely I am to be allergic to it.

SN: Good to see you, you were one of my first hairspirations when I bc'd almost 5 years ago :yep:

YUP, same here! You gave me some EXCELLENT advice over on Np when I first started to color my hair! If only I had CONTINUED to listen to that advice instead of being a bone head! But ANYWAY, good to see you and your hair looks BEAUTIFUL as always!!!!:yep:

I actually selected yes. In my experience, products that cost more money have better formulations. This isn't an absolute thing though. As others have mentioned, products-such as those in Miss Jessie's line-contain cheap fillers that do not justify the price.

There are inexpensive products that has excellent formulations-this being a good example IMO. But I prefer the ones that cost more because I've had a far better experience with them than the cheap ones. I just think it's important to read the label and make a decision.

But yes. I do believe you get what you pay for.

I chose other. For me I havent upgraded to expensive products per say but I have begun to pay more attention to ingredients.In doing so, my hair does look and feel much better and has had some good growth.

for the majority of high priced products you are paying for the brand name is all. there is no good reason why most suave products that are knock offs of high end brands work the same at literally a fraction of the price. good hair practices are what grew my hair, not 200% markup and a false sense of exclusivity.

ITA.
These days, my hair loves when I buy cheap Suave Tropical Coconut or V05 and mix in oils and ayurveda powders.

My hair looked soooo much better after I went out and bought the mizani line... I now get salon results at home... I'm only going back to the salon for relaxers. My hair looks the healthiest its ever been. I think it pays to buy salon quality products. We don't get our hair done in drugstores.... Anyway its working much better for me!

Other:

I have figured out that the NTM line works best on my hair. It is a drugstore line; however, when you consider how small those bottles are, it is on the more expensive end of drugstore lines.

Back