Upgrade your products…upgrade your hair?

Do you get what you pay for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AFashionSlave

Do you get what you pay for?

Here is the backstory:
I ran into a beautician and her daughter at my job. The beautician had beautiful hair. Her daughter had shiny, bouncy, waist-length, relaxed, color treated hair. I told her that I was growing out my hair. I told her that I was using Pantene, dove, herbal essences, ya know the usual drugstore crap. Then the beautician said, “Pantene is nothing. It does nothing. You get what you pay for.” I paid her salon a visit and she gave me a list of products to buy. IT’S BEEN YEARS since I’ve listened to a beautician. I bought the stuff that she told me to buy and my hair has been transformed!

I walked past a big mirror today and was amazed at the size of my huge bun.
Here's a pic:
bun-vi.jpg

Over the past 2 months I’ve had NO breakage, NO dryness, NO tangles, and very little shedding and fewer flakes. I’m glad that I spent the money.

I NOW believe that you do get what you pay for.
What do you ladies think?
Do you get what you pay for when it comes to hair products?

(BTW, Im not trying to promote product junkieism)

I noticed that expensive, organic/nautral or close to being organic/nautral products works best for my hair.

I voted other. I don't necessarily think high-end products are better, nor do I necessarily think cheap, drug store products are better. Right now the cheaper stuff is working for me. I'm less likely to try something expensive because if I don't like a product, I won't finish it, I will throw it in the trash. With the cheaper stuff I try a little of everything. I don't like the dirt cheap conditioners like V05 and Suave. But I will use Pantene, Mane N Tail, Yes to Carrots, Giovanni, etc.

When I was relaxed I used to only use Mizani and Keracare. I'm not really sure why because they weren't anything spectacular. I don't know if they are considered high-end though. Now I will only buy Keracare shampoo if it's buy 1, get 1 for 88 cents at JCPenney.

I don't think expensive is better because there are many reasons for the variation in price points. Companies can often raise a price in order to give us the perception that their product must be better because it cost more.

Some of the cheaper brands such as Suave are not really my favorite because they are so watered down-that's why they are so cheap. They probably use 90% water and 10% of the actual conditioning ingredients and preservatives....

With all that said, I use curl activator and FOTE aloe gel and Aubrey organics on the regular and my hair is doing okay...

SN: Good to see you, you were one of my first hairspirations when I bc'd almost 5 years ago :yep:

Price does not matter. Ingredients and formulation matter. If you use an expensive product full of crap, your hair will look like crap, even if you pay $100 for it. On the other hand, for instance, to date, the best deep conditioner I have ever used is honey and EVOO (and I have used a lot of them since I am a PJ), and a bottle of honey is like $4 and EVOO is like $6. I tend to use more expensive pre-made products though, because the ingredients are usually better, but this is certainly not always the case. However, there are some cheap products that secretly have good ingredients, and there are some that I can use sporadically but would not use them everyday because I think my hair would suffer.

ingredients matter!!!!! i can charge you $2 or $20 and put a pretty label on it but it can still be the same crap.

ive tried expensive things but i found that i can get similar results with cheaper things.i think the quality of the product is the key, not necessarily price.

i am biased because i am also cheap:look:

I believe products work in terms of the feel they give whether they are expensive or cheap but you really do get what you pay for in most cases if you buy blindly.

If you buy a cheap product from the drugstore that claims to moisturize or strengthen you're most likely going to get a cone filled product or something with a bunch of fillers that provides only a temporary feeling of whatever they claim to do. More expensive products have the proper ingredients to execute the promises they claim on the back of the bottle and it isn't just a gimmick.

ETA: I'm generalizing but it's the same idea that empressri and EllePixie are expressing. I'm just saying it through the point of view that common cheap drugstore brands would have crappy ingredients versus expensive products that are usually bought with the assumption that they are better because they're supposed to have more quality ingredients.

Last edited:
ingredients matter!!!!! i can charge you $2 or $20 and put a pretty label on it but it can still be the same crap.

Not to mention throwing the word "Organic" or "Natural" somewhere on it and some brown/copper-toned "ethnic" looking label, which so many products do now to jack up the price. They don't have to be telling the truth since there are ways they can define something that way just by one ingredient. And then they might have "with Biotin" on it or some other ingredient fad but then have it way down at the bottom of the list just to charge more.

Its the ingredients and their formulation that matter, not the price.

i am biased because i am also cheap:look:

:lol: Same here! But its always worked for my hair. Shoot, I'll even read the back of ingredients list and figure out if I can make it myself before I pay too much for a product (that goes for foods too).

Last edited:
there's a lot of pretty $50 dollar bottles in sephora that dont have one ingredient that justifies the price. plus, it's probably one drop of said ingredient in it.

for the majority of high priced products you are paying for the brand name is all. there is no good reason why most suave products that are knock offs of high end brands work the same at literally a fraction of the price. good hair practices are what grew my hair, not 200% markup and a false sense of exclusivity.

Kudos to one of my 1st hair inspirations and hair twins! I think the more natural products work the best. Those also tend to be more expensive products. But I like to make my own mixes and alternate w/products. To tell you the truth, I'm not impressed w/any commercial products at this time...not without doctoring them up. I'm going to look into those products you mentioned. I already use Nioxin off and on for years but never heard of the others.

I think there needs to be a balance. I've had good experiences with Pantene, Kenra and VO5 but the ingredients in commercial products can have side effects that are remedied by natural products. So from my experience there's a place for both. But buying expensive products won't upgrade your hair. The best things for my hair have been the cheapest.

Your hair looks sooo lush, I want it.

eta: I think you need to share your whole regimen

Last edited:
[USER=596 said:
AFashionSlave[/USER];12898355 ]Thanks.
She told me to buy DermOrganics shampoo and conditioner, Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, and Moroccan Oil.

I bought all of it.

have you noticed any improvements with your scalp on the Nioxin? also of the Derm & NIoxin which do you love more?

[USER=596 said:
AFashionSlave[/USER];12898355 ]Thanks.
She told me to buy DermOrganics shampoo and conditioner, Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, and Moroccan Oil.

I bought all of it.

have you noticed any improvements with your scalp on the Nioxin? also of the Derm & NIoxin which do you love more?

I vote..Other..For me its Ingredients..Ex-I use sulfate free shampoo's,yes to carrots moisturizing conditioner as a rinse & RedKen (real control mask) to Dc..Or use Darcy's pumpkin conditioner,TW leave-in,Nanatt Dc mask...

*Carols daughter...Did non-thing for me & other expensive products..Suave & some other cheap products did non-thing for me..So it can vary..

*Some-times I use a good old fashion mixes & they work just as well/even better...

Happy Hair Growing!

Yes, I have a lot less flaking and less shedding. I like them both equally. They both do different things. The nioxin tingles my scalp and makes my scalp feel very clean. The Dermorgancs is very moisturizing and a mild protein. I use them both because my beautician told me to alternate them.

I Co-sign OTE=melissa-bee;12898925]Your hair looks sooo lush, I want it.

eta: I think you need to share your whole regimen[/QUOTE]

[USER=596 said:
AFashionSlave[/USER];12902939
]Yes, I have a lot less flaking and less shedding. I like them both equally. They both do different things. The nioxin tingles my scalp and makes my scalp feel very clean. The Dermorgancs is very moisturizing and a mild protein. I use them both because my beautician told me to alternate them.

THANK YOU very much, with the exception of the sulphur i started trying on last nite.... I had just about given up on my (itching) scalp issues

I may take a peek at the Nioxin line (or both:look:) missed that sale at walgreens the other week tho' on this product

Back