Um.. Why do I have splits further up my hair shaft??!

BonBon

I have never really suffered from splits before. I took my hair out of extensions about a month back and have been flat ironing it maybe weekly. I have some split ends now:perplexed

Even worse I see a some that have started peeling maybe 1+ inches up from the end or more.:ohwell: Is this bad? How do I prevent splits? Something has changed and I dont want to end up losing my progress:crying3:

I wanted to use the split ender but now Im scared it may cut off hairs that are splitting higher up.

Additional info: I texlaxed last August and haven't touched up. I tend to relax my hair every couple of years and then don't do it again. I don't know if this is somthing to do with it.
* I always have a lot of breakage when my hair is straightened, but not much when coiled and combing. I did the heavy aphogee treatment recently and it reduced breakage, but the splits are already here!
*I haven't trimmed for maybe 2 years:blush:

Sometimes I think using heat or relaxing isn't for everyone. My hair thrives more when its still got the coil or stretched without heat.

Last edited:

Nonie

I see several reason:

• Flat ironing. Heat not only robs your hair of moisture leaving it dry and therefore vulnerable but it can also damage the cuticle leading to split ends;
  • Chemicals. When you texlax your hair, you weaken it some and if you don't neutralize properly, the cuticle can be left open and therefore susceptible to being torn off during styling;
  • Friction from clothes or styling can cause your cuticle to tear away and thus lead to split ends (I think brushing your hair can really be harsh on strands);
  • Not moisturizing and sealing your hair to shield it from the elements; and
  • Normal wear and tear as your hair grows older which is why it is good to dust regularly to get rid of the oldest sections of your hair so that you nip splitting in the bud before it moves up the strand or tears away leaving a weak end.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
What are your nails like?

If they're rough at the ends, they can catch and split your hair, especially when it's wet.
I was getting mid-shaft splits alot, until I started making sure to file down my nails before I started washing.

nymane

I'd get a good trim, cut out the heat (or at least reduce it) and start M&S your ends daily...also get your moisture/protein balance together because being 8 months post makes your hair even more vulnerable to breakage if you don't take care of it.

BonBon

What are your nails like?

If they're rough at the ends, they can catch and split your hair, especially when it's wet.
I was getting mid-shaft splits alot, until I started making sure to file down my nails before I started washing.

Thank you! I haven't filed my nails smooth on a regular basis for a long while:look:.

^^ Good point. Also do you use seamless combs?

Ah Nonie, no. I seem to be using whatever comb I can find:perplexed Thank you for all your advice. I started trimming my hair last night and maybe there were 2 splits in every 10-15 strands. I'll get a proper cut and try to cut the heat down

I'd get a good trim, cut out the heat (or at least reduce it) and start M&S your ends daily...also get your moisture/protein balance together because being 8 months post makes your hair even more vulnerable to breakage if you don't take care of it.

Thank you, I was thinking maybe I need to start treating it more carefully. I did an aphogee then and a DC overnight last week and my hair looks visibly different