Now that my hair has gotten longer I know why I never had any!!

BlkOnyx488

SPLIT ENDS!! and INNER SHAFT SPLITS!!

I think my hair must be more prone to splits than normal people. I trim, I seek and distroy and they never go away, I notice I have inner shaft splits as high as 3 inches away from my ends. I have several strands that will have multiply splits along the shaft.

i keep my hair in cornrow styles. I use heat maybe 4 times a year if not less. I only use a blow dyer 4 times a year. I use the split ender, I use sissors. My hair loves to split:nono:

I have decided to just live with it, I will keep trying now that I am finally getting to APL it only took 5 years, no wonder, I didn't realize how bad my hair splits so in the beginning of my hair journey I wouldn't always be good about PSing. and what would happen is let's say I kept my hair out all summer. I still baggied, only did finger combing but didn't braid it up. by the end of the summer 2 or three inches would just be missing.:ohwell:

So since Sept of 2010 I have been really really good about keeping my hair on lock down and that is the only reason I am finally approaching APL. And it's still taken me two years to get from just right at SL to APL.

Is there anything I can do to prevent split ends? constant trimming doesn't work for me I need a prevention remedy

For any newbies who have been neck length most of your life, like me. I bet split ends is to blame. my advice leave your hair braided and your ends deeply tucked away until you get to your goal length:yep:

Last edited:

CrueltyFree

I think excessive tension and manipulation cause those mid shaft splits. That and the obvious lack of protein and moisture balance. I cut my hair off and for a while I was not having a problem with them. But I started to notice them again and I narrowed it down to the above. I'm protective styling now until I get it under control again.

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

BlkOnyx488

I think excessive tension and manipulation cause those mid shaft splits. That and the obvious lack of protein and moisture balance. I cut my hair off and for a while I was not having a problem with them. But I started to notice them again and I narrowed it down to the above. I'm protective styling now until I get it under control again.
Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

CrueltyFree
When I cornrow my hair I leave it up for a month to 6 weeks at a time. I will redo the braids when the new growth makes them lose at the roots and I don't want breakage to occur, but I use fingers no combs. that's not too much manipulation is it?

I have been off my protein routine this summer. In fact tonight I am doing my first protein overnight DC since the beginning of July. Maybe that will save the last 10 strands that have not split:perplexed

I never have figured out how to balance the protein moisture. I have been afraid to use protien because once my hair suffered a protein to overload and I have to cut off 3 inches it was mess:nono: Now I am only use my protien DC once a month no more

virtuenow

Are you natural or relaxed? Do you keep your hair stretched? Have you ever tried a regular trim schedule?

ronie

Are you using Sharp shears for your trimming? Cause I was using scissors that were dull and rusty, and the more I trim the more my hair split. Upon research I found out that I needed better shears. I just bought a pair from Sally's kinda expensive, but hopefully worth it. I will trim next weekend and see if that helped. Cause my moisture protein balance is on point, I protective style 99% of the time do it has to be that. Good luck.

CurlyMoo

I have the same problem, yet my hair has still grown long. My saving grace is protective styling and low manipulation with includes infrequent combing.

Last edited:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I think fine hair is more prone to splits. I PS 98% of the time and hardly ever use heat and still, everytime I look there's a split. I can't obsess about them but gee whiz, they're annoying.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Do you seal the length of your hair with a heavy lubricant? How do you maintain your cornrows? Are you adding extension hair for the cornrows?

ajargon02

BlkOnyx488 said:
SPLIT ENDS!! and INNER SHAFT SPLITS!!

Is there anything I can do to prevent split ends?

..... my advice leave your hair braided and your ends deeply tucked away until you get to your goal length:yep:

A good hair cut & protein moisture balance. You might have protein overload that doesn't help already damaged hair. One can't stop all split ends (some are the cause of rough handling, coloring, dull scissors) but if the moisture content in ur hair is off (water =moisture, than seal w/ oil or butter based products, that don't have mineral, petroleum or lanlolin, that may help. If u can, get the "science of blk hair care". It has lots of product recommendations & reggie advice 2 trn ur situation around. Hth!

GeorginaSparks

Are you using Sharp shears for your trimming? Cause I was using scissors that were dull and rusty, and the more I trim the more my hair split. Upon research I found out that I needed better shears. I just bought a pair from Sally's kinda expensive, but hopefully worth it. I will trim next weekend and see if that helped. Cause my moisture protein balance is on point, I protective style 99% of the time do it has to be that. Good luck.

Yes OP you should invest in a pair of trimming shears.

ronie

NappyNelle or anyone that has experience with braids extension: would it help to use extension for the cornrows or is it better to leave it lone with your own hair so you get better access to moisturize and seal the ends? I have been thinking about adding extensions to my cornrows really so i can wear them out instead of under a wig cause the wig cap has taken a toll on my nape. Please recommend a brand of braids, cause the last time i had braid extensions i knew nothing about hair, and i let the hairdresser choose the hair and style, smh. Thanks in advance all.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
ronie It's been a very long time since I wore braids, but I think allowing your hair to breathe aside from the wigs will allow you to baby your nape. Are you sealing that area with a heavy cream or butter after moisturizing? You can even get away with sectioning off your nape and wearing a horizontal cornrow there...

karenjoe

Do you seal the length of your hair with a heavy lubricant? How do you maintain your cornrows? Are you adding extension hair for the cornrows?

I was thinking this. after 3 yrs of cornrows under my wigs I'm going to wash more frequently & moisturize the hair.
I oiled my scalp w the rows but the longer my hair get I feel it need more moisture on the shaft:yep:
I'm wearing 4 plaits now. I'm combing my hair every week I oil my scalp 3 times during that week, I rub coconut oil down the shaft once during the week & it help w the ends. ( sealing the ends):yep:
I'll start washing ever 2 weeks.....= moisture & conditioning.
which is good... change your routine a little,,,, and see

southerncitygirl

BlkOnyx488

moisturize and seal with a water based cream/lotion then oil 3-5 times a week i do not recommend using water by itself for moisture

consider getting a hair analysis from komaza there's a thread on here about ppl's experiences and they have been positive:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329

keep hair stretched

do low manipulation styles

do a hardcore protein treatment every 4-6 weeks followed by a moisturizing condish ( i love the komaza protein strengthener and aubreys j.a.y, gbp, hsr condtioners, hydroquench sysytems also makes nice dcs)

get your moisture/protein/ceramide levels in check

MzSwift

@NappyNelle or anyone that has experience with braids extension: would it help to use extension for the cornrows or is it better to leave it lone with your own hair so you get better access to moisturize and seal the ends? I have been thinking about adding extensions to my cornrows really so i can wear them out instead of under a wig cause the wig cap has taken a toll on my nape. Please recommend a brand of braids, cause the last time i had braid extensions i knew nothing about hair, and i let the hairdresser choose the hair and style, smh. Thanks in advance all.

ronie

I have used extension hair to do my cornrows only a couple of times. I have fine strands and I have to redo my cornrows weekly to keep matting down. When I used the added hair, I was able to keep the rows in longer and I was also able to do a mid-week water rinse or cowash. Whenever I use extension hair, it helps to keep my hair moisturized.

That is just my experience. I M&S twice per day and water rinse or cowash so that may help with moisture as well.

BlkOnyx488

Are you natural or relaxed? Do you keep your hair stretched? Have you ever tried a regular trim schedule?
I am 100% natural not color, no relaxer. I trim every 2 months and every 4 months when i flat iron I trim and use my split ender

I am always buying a new pair of sissors because my children take them out my comb draw and once they use them to cut paper I don't want them anymore for my hair:ohwell::drunk:

I have concoction I spray on my hair every night, it's s-curl mixed with leave-in condition, sulpher powder and olive oil and water to thin it out so it sprays evenly
A good hair cut & protein moisture balance. You might have protein overload that doesn't help already damaged hair. One can't stop all split ends (some are the cause of rough handling, coloring, dull scissors) but if the moisture content in ur hair is off (water =moisture, than seal w/ oil or butter based products, that don't have mineral, petroleum or lanlolin, that may help. If u can, get the "science of blk hair care". It has lots of product recommendations & reggie advice 2 trn ur situation around. Hth!

Idefinately stay away from Mineral oil, I mostly use coconut oil and olive oil,
Thanks I will check out the book you rec!:yep:

Sorry I have not responded all day. been busy doing last minute things to get my boys ready for school tomorrow, still not done yet agggggghhhh

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
A nutrition problem perhaps? A deficiency? Seems like your doing everything else right.

ETA: maybe meds you've taken for a while?

Last edited: