Splits, Splits and more splits!! HELP!!!

s_terry

I am texulaxed. I often just wash, deep condition, seal with a shea butter and oils and then bun it while wet. I DC every wash with Salerm Wheat germ and Alter Ego products ( mix-o-logist). I probably maxi-glided a total of 5-6 times last year due to special occasions. I have decided not to iuse the steam on the glide cause I just cringe when my hair sizzles. The last couple of times I have glided, I have had to seek and destroy and have done at least one small trim once straight. It could explain why I have not seen more progress I am clipping the ends and seeking and destroying!:( I have recently relaxed the NG ( still texulaxed), rollerset, air dryed and maxed on a level of 3. WHY DO I HAVE SPLITS!!??? I have used several heat protectants trying to protect but get shine also. I've tried IC, Nexus, and Chi Silk (IC and silk together are the bomb). I have used expensive products, and not so cheap products and still have some major splits!!

It's not just your graden variety split, but it is some of those tree splits too
--/--\--/ where more than one split is coming off a strand.

What am I doing wrong? What products are you ladies doing to prevent splits? How often do you have to seek and destroy? What is normal for splits?

TIA

The only thing I can think of is possibly the way you are combing and/or brushing your hair is causing problems. A lot of splits are caused by mechanical damage. Also, the bun. How do you pin up your bun?

s_terry said:
Hmmm, that's interesting. Bunning while wet can cause splits?

Yes. Anything can cause split ends. It depends on your hair's elasticity. How hard you pull it or how rough you handle your wet hair. That is how breakage occurs. (through split ends)

I will occasionally see those monster tree splits too, they freak me out and I seek and destroy them also. I wish I knew how to prevent them...protein? moisture?

I see those kinds of splits occassionally in my hair too. I cut the strand above where I see the last split, and just try to stay on top of S&D's.

Good luck and many hugs. I'd be freaking out too.

-A

I S&D pretty often about every 2 weeks to once a month. I noticed that you deep conditioner faithfully every week, but do you use some kind of leave in or daily moisturizer on your hair or ends in between? For me, the use of moisturizers have helped me to keep the splits to a minimum.

mochamadness said:
I S&D pretty often about every 2 weeks to once a month. I noticed that you deep conditioner faithfully every week, but do you use some kind of leave in or daily moisturizer on your hair or ends in between? For me, the use of moisturizers have helped me to keep the splits to a minimum.

I agree. You may want to consider a creamy specifically designed for your ends. Constant Care, Profective Healthy Ends & Redken Clear Moisture all come to mind.

thanks so much ladies for responding! I use Salerm as my leave in and then seal with my ends with oils. Ladies you S&D every couple of weeks. Do you always find something to snip? How Much? I do deep condition faithfully every week, every wash! That's why I just don't get it. I sure would like for it to stop. I wanna keep every strand! (Whoa is me :p :( )

CAPlush said:
The only thing I can think of is possibly the way you are combing and/or brushing your hair is causing problems. A lot of splits are caused by mechanical damage. Also, the bun. How do you pin up your bun?

I only comb once a week, in the shower, with my jilbere comb.:( It has to be something I am doing. During the week I just take it down spritz with what is in my spray bottle, braid it in a lose braid, flip the ends under and tuck, and use a goody scrunchy with the slick material to secure.

I would try castor oil it definetly improved my split ends!! I don't know what it did but it worked wonders....I don't have nearly as much split ends and hair is soft as ever!!!

i had been bunning but i stopped about a month ago. i had been seeing those types of splits. i wonder now if the bun and all that goes with bunning had something to do with it. i was just wondering what that was about, the strands i find that have 3 splits in them.
interesting.....:perplexed

So do you ladies think I should give up bunning or just let it dry before I bun? Bunning dry is going to be a challange since I am not bone straight. It might put more stress on my hair cause I will stretch the tight curls after dry to pull into a bun. I am going to have think about this one. If anyone has any suggestions please share.

what i started to do was instead of bunning while wet, i keep my hair braided(i usually braid my hair for the poo & dc process) and air dry or sit under the dryer. sometimes i even blow dry each braid with my chi blow dryer. this is working out waaaaaaaaaay better than bunning while wet!:)

Consider if your shears/ scissor are sharp enough. Make sure that they are sharp and not used for anything else except your hair. Sounds like you are doing everything else that would protect the hair.

Back