Thining Crown....How do I protect?

Ivonnovi

Ladies my crown is thining, and the hair in this area is "not showing much growth".

I have to bun & wear a wool cap regularly. (Uncle Sam)

Under these circumstances how do I protect this area. If you can include pics of protective styles that would be appreciated. Thanks.

JustKiya

Ladies my crown is thining, and the hair in this area is "not showing much growth".

I have to bun & wear a wool cap regularly. (Uncle Sam)

Under these circumstances how do I protect this area. If you can include pics of protective styles that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you line the wool cap with something (silk??) so that it's nut rubbing on top of your head?
Also, try making your buns as loose as possible, so that you aren't pulling on/stressing that area of your head.

caribgirl

I thought a thinning crown was hormonal.

True.

OP: are you saying that the wool cap has caused the thinness?
If so, ITA with JustKiya's advice.

My crown was thinning so much before starting my journey. I babied the area by moisturizing and sealing in a baggy for a few months and applying MN/BT. I wore a half-wig to cover my hair as well. Thankfully, the area is doing well which is amazing for me!

Ivonnovi

Can you line the wool cap with something (silk??) so that it's nut rubbing on top of your head?
Also, try making your buns as loose as possible, so that you aren't pulling on/stressing that area of your head.

Hmm, I'll have to see about putting something inside the cap to protect the ends that are in that area.

I thought a thinning crown was hormonal.

It may very well be, but I'd cut a bangs a few months ago. And thin short hair does nothing for me. I'd atleast like the length back.

Ivonnovi

I had a consultation for SistaLocs yesterday. The stylist really noticed how thin my hair was on top.

He begged me to stop using relaxers, and give my follicules a break.

NOW this took me by suprise because I've been stretching my perms to 6-8 weeks for the past year AND I've been underprocessing thereby avoiding leaving the product on my hair for a decent amount of time. :wallbash: Still with freshly permed and flatiorned hair, you can clearly see my scalp in awkward places.

THE UPSIDE IS that as a result of these changes I've been able to obtain growth. :ohwell:

With all that said I'm thinking my thinning (shedding) may be due to stress, but that comes with my job.

Bottom line: (to me) I'm not a candidate for SistaLocs anytime soon. IF I got them with my crown as thin as it is right now, I'd be showing a lot of scalp. ......

MisTatim

I have a lot of breakage on my crown and my dermatologist said it was from relaxers and that it's very common with black women.

Ivonnovi

Good to hear that someone else has heard this too. I guess there are some of us whose skin reacts that way to chemicals, obviously not everyone that relaxes has this problem.

Did the derm indicate that if it was possible to grow the hair back. Or should I look forward to doing a "comb over"? :lachen:

Last edited:

DivaD04

I had a consultation for SistaLocs yesterday. The stylist really noticed how thin my hair was on top.

He begged me to stop using relaxers, and give my follicules a break.

NOW this took me by suprise because I've been stretching my perms to 6-8 weeks for the past year AND I've been underprocessing thereby avoiding leaving the product on my hair for a decent amount of time. :wallbash: Still with freshly permed and flatiorned hair, you can clearly see my scalp in awkward places.

THE UPSIDE IS that as a result of these changes I've been able to obtain growth. :ohwell:

With all that said I'm thinking my thinning (shedding) may be due to stress, but that comes with my job.

Bottom line: (to me) I'm not a candidate for SistaLocs anytime soon. IF I got them with my crown as thin as it is right now, I'd be showing a lot of scalp. ......

I am so glad that you recognized sistalocs weren't for you at this point, b/c just a well as relaxers may be a contributing factor to hair thinning at the crown, sistalocs willllllll make it worse b/c like braids, they are just as heavy. I don't have pictures for protective styles, but maybe try switching up ur bunning to a loose braid or two, wraps/ and then cover your wrap b/4 tossing your hat on, and loose twist bantu knots. Anything loose and airy.

Nonie

I'm sorry you're having this problem. I second the baggying perhaps using the concoction I used to regrow my bald spot if you find what you're using not solving your problem.

You can read my story here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=39645

But do get a doctor to verify the cause of the hairloss. There's power in knowledge. :yep: Also there are a lot of people who've shared similarly distressing stories and what they did to get through it. So knowing the "why" will help you know in whose shoes you're walking and what might work for you.

Hugs,

Ivonnovi

:bump: Since this tread, I did get sisterlocks. My crown is still thin, but it's not getting worse. Sisterlocks has not aggrevated the problem, and no so far they are not heavy.