The Pro's and Con's of Ayurveda....

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Well since I got called out @EnExitStageLeft:giggle:

*What are your personal Pro's and Con's when it comes to Ayurvedic treatments?
PRO's:
Cheap - dirt cheap
Strengthening - without giving me an protein overloaded feel
Cleansing - effective and cleansing gently
Colour impact - Henna colour is really lovely red, but I also feel that my hair is darker and shinier.
Smoothing - my hair lays even nicer consistently
Thickening - I have fine hair and is surely thickens my strands..the first few weeks after my relaxer I thought I'd have to relax sooner than planned but I've since learned to adjust.
Hand in Hair disease - applying treatments and regular oiling allows you do be playing in your hair in a regular basis and is good for your hair
Playful - you get to mix and blend and concoct brews...I think that's fun:look:

CONS:
Time consuming - when you are not in a mood to play it feels like a lot of work but you do it because you want the benefits
Smell - I'm really not about those scents...at least they smell natural as oppose to something from the factory, I guess.
*Which are your favorite?
Henna (9 herb Nupur)- I do a simple mix of adding a brew of hibiscus, rosehip and rooibos tea to my henna and grapeseed oil. I apply it on hair that I dampen with a tea of sage and whatever else and it goes on quickly and rinses well.
I love Bhringaraj, Tulsi, Triphala, Aritha, (Amla, but I have to be careful with that one), fenugreek.

*Have you seen a drastic change in your hair?
First observation was the increased thickness after henna. Increased smoothness of my strands. My dd exclaimed that my hair was red when she was looking at it in a particular light...we were both excited. I really like the red colour, those like, 2 grey hairs are a nice copper colour too:look:
Breakage and hair fall has also decreased, I didn't have much as I tea rinse and such but there was an observed difference. I honestly believe that my hair is at it's optimal state right now...I've been using ayurvedics since my last relaxer which was about 10 weeks ago.

ETA: I want to say that my hair grows faster BUT I have also been trying the inversion method so I'm not sure. Oiling my hair forces me to do scalp massages more often which I had gotten very lazy about.

I actually don't really find it that time consuming as it takes about 10 minutes to mix up henna (then it sits). It takes 15 minutes to apply it. (then it sits)
Tea brews take about 5 minutes to put together (then it sits)
Oil blends take about 3 mintues to put together (then it sits in a crock pot)

ETA 2: The most time consuming one is making fenugreek paste because although that one also sits, I have to blend it up and that takes a while.

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Nix08 why do you have to be careful with amla? My only experience with it is in Kalpi Tone, Nupur, and Vatika oil. So, I don't know how it behaves on it's lonesome.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Nix08 why do you have to be careful with amla? My only experience with it is in Kalpi Tone, Nupur, and Vatika oil. So, I don't know how it behaves on it's lonesome.

MileHighDiva
If I use it too often (on its own) it gives my hair a very straw like, dry feel:nono: But the right amount stops breakage if I'm experiencing increased breakage.
I guess for me it acts like a protein but it isn't affected by actual protein conditioners.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

Outside of fenugreek, I've only used infused oils. I've been mixing the oils in shampoos, conditioners and maybe for sealing on a twist out. I like them as they increase shine, my scalp feels much better, I've noticed more volume and the mixing does affect how conditioners work. My hair has been softer.

I won't say I noticed anything in the growth department, but I'm sure it's there.

I didn't like fenugreek. After that experience, I would just use a powder or try to make my own oil infusion.

So far amla and neem that lived up to their claims.

I've just noticed that I hold on to moisture better. For me, that's always a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Mahogony7

I tried shikakai powder once

Cons
-messy
-hair felt dry and brittle
-burn the hell out of my eyes 3 freaking times!!!!!

It was worse than when I got peppermint oil in my eyes. I like the idea of Ayurveda, but the curry smells and overall messiness are a turn off.

Jewell

Loving the wealth of info in this thread, EnExitStageLeft. Thanks for starting, chica. It will be very helpful to many ladies interested in Ayurvedic hair care. I would add my $0.02, but Im too lazy to type it out. Im bouta put this henna on and lay down and watch "Rick Steves' Europe." You know I wrote u a super long PM about Ayurveda b4. I's be back later :yep:

Jewell

Blairx0

As far as I kno, cassia will not change texture, but pure henna will. Cassia is neutral henna, depositing no color, but also not as strong/potent a conditioner/strengthener as henna either.

havilland good advice. Be careful during transitioning. I did a brahmi pack during transitioning, and it made my hair VERY strong and thick, but was like tryna wash sand outta my hair. I mix it with conditioner or do a tea or infusion now. Applying it like a mud mask was a no-no for my hair.

Last edited:

Lita

Hi!

Cons-
*Henna,Texture change..Dry hair..
*Amla powder,Acts like protein on my hair..
*Brahmi powder,Drying..
*Fennugreek powder,mixing,letting it sit over night,smells like syrup..
*Mahabhringraj oil,stanks all the way to mars.
*Brenja oil,Lil sticky & stank.
*Neem oil,Stanks
*Hibiscus oil,smell like flowers all day..lol
*Sesame Seed oil,little thick,strong scent..

Pro's-
*Henna,Nice color,thicken hair

*Brahmi powder,help reduce shedding,hair becomes fuller..

*Amla Powder,makes your hair really curly..

*Mahabhringraj oil,stops shedding/thickens/aids in growth..See fast results.

*Sesame seed oil,the scent doesn't linger,detangles..Plays well with Dc's & leave-in's

*Hibicus oil,nice lite oil for spring/summer use..absorbs well in your scalp,keep roots healthy.

*Neem oil,keeps your scalp flake free & the smell doesnt linger...Best to use it at night.

*Goat Milk powder,helps with strengthen & body..

*Fennugreek Powder,Fuller healthier hair,aids in growth/retention/detangles..

*Coconut milk powder,very soft hair,adds great shine,nice scent..Mixes well with any product.

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I use henna for color and conditioning, and I make Ayurvedic oil from Amla, bringaraj, bhrami, fenugreek, and hibiscus powders infused in whatever hair friendly oil I have available.

Cons:
Henna can be drying, so deep conditioning is key.
Henna is a bit messy.
Oil infusion takes a couple of days to complete

Pros:
I get great color using Rajasthani henna
My hair and scalp feel so much better using my oil
By using oil, I avoid the mess of mixing pastes, and I can use my oil to make conditioners and leave-ins. I notice less shedding, as well.

Lita

havilland Anytime..Seems like the best stuff,happens to be the stanky stuff..lol..But, fragrant moisturizers/sealers helps with that..

Happy Hair Growing!

Dellas

Hi! Cons- *Henna,Texture change..Dry hair.. *Amla powder,Acts like protein on my hair.. *Brahmi powder,Drying.. *Fennugreek powder,mixing,letting it sit over night,smells like syrup.. *Mahabhringraj oil,stanks all the way to mars. *Brenja oil,Lil sticky & stank. *Neem oil,Stanks *Hibiscus oil,smell like flowers all day..lol *Sesame Seed oil,little thick,strong scent.. Pro's- *Henna,Nice color,thicken hair *Brahmi powder,help reduce shedding,hair becomes fuller.. *Amla Powder,makes your hair really curly.. *Mahabhringraj oil,stops shedding/thickens/aids in growth..See fast results. *Sesame seed oil,the scent doesn't linger,detangles..Plays well with Dc's & leave-in's *Hibicus oil,nice lite oil for spring/summer use..absorbs well in your scalp,keep roots healthy. *Neem oil,keeps your scalp flake free & the smell doesnt linger...Best to use it at night. *Goat Milk powder,helps with strengthen & body.. *Fennugreek Powder,Fuller healthier hair,aids in growth/retention/detangles.. *Coconut milk powder,very soft hair,adds great shine,nice scent..Mixes well with any product. Happy Hair Growing!

Thanks! I may jump back on this bandwagon

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

crazytrish75

@sharmeans

How do you mix in the powders?

Do you literally take the powder and mix it into you already prepared tea? or do you steep it along with the rest of you herbs?

I am a huge Ayurveda fan! My method is extremely easy. I buy brahmi, bhringraj, and amla powders from butters-n-bars or henna sooq.com. They come in 100 oz bags (I think that is the size). Anyway, I pour one bag of each into a gallon freezer bag and shake it real well to mix, then store in the freezer to keep it fresh (you don't really have to do this step, it will keep fine just in the freezer bag in a cool place by your bathroom).

On my wash/cowash days, I heat up 8 oz water in the microwave and add one bag of nettle tea (I just use warm water if I'm out of tea). I take a squirt bottle, add 2 tablespoons of my mixture and the tea, shake/stir well. Hop in the shower, squirt it on my head, cover with a plastic cap, do my shower business, cowash out. It literally just takes a couple of minutes this way.

These powders are what turned my hair around when I first started my HHJ, that and protein + stretching. It thickened my hair up a lot. Also, the nettle tea makes it soooo soft and shiny. I got lazy for about 4 months and didn't use it and seriously noticed the difference. I haven't gotten lazy since. I only do it twice a week. Sometimes just once if I'm pressed for time.

I also henna every 6-8 weeks. HTH!!

Lita

EnExitStageLeft Yes,I have notice positive changes in length retention/thickening...2010..I did Ayurvedic powders oil's & Ayurvedic vitamins for the entire year & I had the best/healthiest/thickening EVER! I stopped,got lazy & the pj kick back in..lol..Ayurvedic does make a great difference.

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

crazytrish75

Pros:
Darkens hair
Thickens hair
Increases the growth rate
Strengthens hair
Inexpensive
Some powders are good for the skin as well (neem)
A mix of a couple powders can act as shampoo, protein, growth aide, and dye in one step :yep:

Cons:
Hair can become dry and stiff if you don't follow up with an ultra moisturizing conditioner (powders/rinses)
Can be time consuming

Kalpi Tone powder

My hair grows a lot faster and thicker. I love that my hair stays dark for awhile, even if I only use it periodically.

cosign with all the bolded :yep:

Lita

Adel10 Hi! Keep us posted...Just make sure to have a heavy duty moisturizing Dc on hand & moisturizing leave-in's/hair creams...

*If you want,buy Lace Naturals,Afroveda,HairVeda or KeraVada..Already mixed for you.

Happy Hair Growing!

I use henna. I love it because it gives my hair some volume, acts like a protein, and I love the red that I get. However, it can be drying, so you have to keep your hair moisturized. Also, make sure you rinse it completely out of your hair or your scalp will itch like mad.

trclemons

Cons = The oil I bought from the Indian store had a horrible smell & contained mineral oil.

Pros = Stopped breakage, retained length and darker, curlier, thicker and in some places straighter hair.

*Which are your favorite? All of the Keravada oils because they are light and smell wonderful, while still providing me the benefits of ayurvedics.

*Have you seen a drastic change in your hair? Yeeesss Lord!!! I have been transitioning for 11 months and my hair was severely damaged from overlapping perms. Needless to say, I was experiencing breakage that I couldn't get under control and read some posts on here about ayurvedics. I researched the various methods of application and the easiest, most appealing to me was adding it to a conditioner. So every week, I add ~ 1/2 tablespoon of 2 different powders (amla, bhringraj, tulsi, brahmi, kapur, fenugreek) to my pre-poo mix of DC, oil & honey. I apply the pre-poo mix like a perm and either GHE for ~ 1 hour or GHE for 1/2 hour & 1/2 hour under a heat cap.

Thanks for this post because it reminded me that Kalpi Tone was on my list and I need to see if they have restocked it.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I am lazy and my fiance made it clear he did not want my hair color to change
(he says my hair is the darkest shade of hair he has ever seen he thinks it is very unique)...so here is the extent of my experimentation with henna:

I used Millcreek Henna conditioner, it has henna as well as keratin very high on the ingredient list.

These were my observations on that:

Pro: much easier than mixing and applying the powder mix

Pro: no need to let it sit long for the conditioning

Pro: the color change was subtle at best. I have only ever seen it in florescent light or ample sunlight it went from extremely subtle copper/chocolate highlights to extremely subtle "cherry cola" highlights. Most of my hair is still a deep sheeny black though.

Pro: the hair in the days following the treatment was incredibly manageable,
this could have been the henna, the keratin, or both.

Pro: No loosening of the curl from what I could tell but there seemed to be less frizz and a subtle easing of shrinkage.

I thought this was going to be my boo; my HG, until I met the cons:

Con: It was drying to the hair, especially my ends even though I would follow with a moisturizing DC ( to be fair my "moisturizing DC's" had oat protein at the bottom of the list and I didn't realize this till later)

Con: Increased tangling after 2 weeks using it back to back. It was the type of tangling I normally experience due to protein sensitivity- so that could have been due to the keratin in the conditioner.

Another commercial gloss I used was the Carol's Daughter Monoi Conditioner.
It makes the claim that it decreases breakage by 92 percent and this claim is based on the fact that they include cassia as one of the main ingredients in the conditioner.

Pros: Again there was no loosening of the curl, but a subtle easing of shrinkage.

Pros: My hair was incredibly defined and frizz free the next day. I could literally see my pen spring coils from at least 1 foot away in the mirror after my hair had dried with no defining techniques used. That is almost unheard of for my hair.

Pros: There was NO frizz. Not happening. The incredible lack of frizz on my barely styled hair- I had never seen anything like it on my head.

Pros: There was a distinct lack of breakage and my hair was easier to manage in it's dry state. I didn't have to oil it just to touch it.

Pro: This is not related to the cassia but, that conditioner smelled amazing. I would buy the perfume if they sold it.

The cons though...well you'll see:

Con: Split ends. I rarely see those in my hair. However, I saw quite a few after using the conditioner.

Con: The application was horrendous. I though it was one of those conditioners you could detangle with. Not so. This conditioner and my wet hair were NOT friends. MY hair was getting matted- it was a very bad scene. I didn't dare use that conditioner again in spite of the next day results.

I have powder Jamila henna I cant bring myself to use because I am afraid it will tangle and dry out my hair as well as give me a brassy orange color that I won't care for.

I also found a henna conditioner that only has soy protein in it but I am scared of it too.

For background I have low porosity medium-coarse hair, I have heard that henna may not be for heads of hair like mine due to our sensitivity to anything that acts like protein and the amount of moisture we need to prevent having brittle or stiff hair.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful even though I haven't used the powders themselves.

Last edited:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Lita

IDK how I missed out on coconut milk or goat milk powder but now I've gotta look for it! Lol

Sent using LHCF app

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Pros:

-low to non-allergenic: I'm allergic to many things even in natural Western products like castor oil, and aloe
-CHEAP: most powders are $2.50 on the ground
-thicker strands
-less breakage
-^^^due to loosening of my super-tight coil pattern
-increase in moisture retention
-major boost to sheen on my natural 4c

CONS
-requires detective work: sure, it's natural but not everything agrees with my hair. So it's trying one powder at a time for extended periods and watching my hair/scalp reactions

FAVES:
-indigo
-henna
-amla
-tulsi
-shikakai

TIME CONSUMING? I've combatted that by premixing large amounts of powders and storing in a tupperware. One tupperware of pre-mixed powders lasts a month and took only 2 minutes to mix, put the lid on, and pop in the pantry.

Same with the teas. I do a quart to a gallon at a time. Lasts 3 weeks in the fridge.

Last edited:

Jewell

Pros:

-cheap.

-natural.

-darkens hair without having to dye or use chemical semi-permanent rinses.

-thickens and strengthens hair, increases growth and scalp health.

-gentle on hair and scalp when used properly (amla and shikakai can be drying if used in large amounts and not mixed with balancing herbs and powders).

-less shedding, combats heat in the scalp and body--cooling (too much heat in the body and scalp leads to hair loss and other issues, according to Ayurvedic teaching).

-easy to use, easy to mix.

---------------------------------------------

Cons:

-sometimes very messy to apply, but once u get used to applying, you get faster and neater (I have over the years, at least).

-some powders and herbs are difficult to find locally, and must be ordered online.

-some people dont like the smell of the herbs, but they dont bother me. I prefer an herbal, woodsy scent to an overly fruity/perfumey scent.

-can be time-consuming, but there are easy ways around this like DarkJoy mentioned. I find making large batches of teas, rinses, and powders in advance cuts out a lot of time on application or wash day, and IMO, it's fun to come up with new recipes depending on my needs and what my hair requires.

** I make batches of henna in advance, let the dye release, then freeze it. On or before application day, I unthaw it at room temp, add my honey and other ingredients that I usually add at the very last moment before applying, and put it in my hair.

It works just as well for my hair having been frozen as it does if it is freshly made and never frozen. I've frozen henna up to one year before using it, and the henna cones I use for skin art I keep refrigerated at all times since it's premixed when purchased.

**Personally, Ayurveda is the best thing to ever happen to my hair and scalp. Im actually gradually phasing out and finishing up products in favor of having a 95% natural and Ayurvedic hair care regimen. The more Ayurveda I incorporate, the more my hair thrives. It has been a real blessing for me, and has forced me to improve my entire lifestyle, as well as diet. Im healthier due to Ayurveda.

Last edited:

Jewell

DoDo

If your hair is dark sheeny black, Jamila henna is NOT gonna color your hair orange. Your hair would have to be blonde or gray for it to turn reddish orange from henna. Henna does not lift color, it only deposits, so on very dark hair you get shine, not a big color change. I have natural #4 light to medium brown hair and henna doesnt turn my hair orange. I use henna + indigo to get it black to blue-black. Henna alone doesnt yield black hair.

HTH:drunk:

jbwphoto1

Pros:

-cheap.

-natural.

-darkens hair without having to dye or use chemical semi-permanent rinses.

-thickens and strengthens hair, increases growth and scalp health.

-gentle on hair and scalp when used properly (amla and shikakai can be drying if used in large amounts and not mixed with balancing herbs and powders).

-less shedding, combats heat in the scalp and body--cooling (too much heat in the body and scalp leads to hair loss and other issues, according to Ayurvedic teaching).

-easy to use, easy to mix.

---------------------------------------------

Cons:

-sometimes very messy to apply, but once u get used to applying, you get faster and neater (I have over the years, at least).

-some powders and herbs are difficult to find locally, and must be ordered online.

-some people dont like the smell of the herbs, but they dont bother me. I prefer an herbal, woodsy scent to an overly fruity/perfumey scent.

-can be time-consuming, but there are easy ways around this like @DarkJoy mentioned. I find making large batches of teas, rinses, and powders in advance cuts out a lot of time on application or wash day, and IMO, it's fun to come up with new recipes depending on my needs and what my hair requires.

** I make batches of henna in advance, let the dye release, then freeze it. On or before application day, I unthaw it at room temp, add my honey and other ingredients that I usually add at the very last moment before applying, and put it in my hair.

It works just as well for my hair having been frozen as it does if it is freshly made and never frozen. I've frozen henna up to one year before using it, and the henna cones I use for skin art I keep refrigerated at all times since it's premixed when purchased.

**Personally, Ayurveda is the best thing to ever happen to my hair and scalp. Im actually gradually phasing out and finishing up products in favor of having a 95% natural and Ayurvedic hair care regimen. The more Ayurveda I incorporate, the more my hair thrives. It has been a real blessing for me, and has forced me to improve my entire lifestyle, as well as diet. Im healthier due to Ayurveda.

This answers my question about saving the henna. I didn't know how to thaw it and didn't want it to turn bad in the process. I always toss those cones because I mix as needed. I have two boxes under the sink now, so I think I'll go ahead and do this. I"ll go ahead and order some indigo from www.hennasooq.com to have on hand with it. Thanks Jewell!

jbwphoto1

Also eyeing hennasooq's Ayurvedic Cleansing Hair Kit. The description says: This ayurvedic hair kit contains 100 grams organic cassia obovata, and 100 grams of shikakai powder.

Okay. I think I'll try this in between the times I do my henna/indigo. Let's see what happens.

mshoneyfly

Also eyeing hennasooq's Ayurvedic Cleansing Hair Kit. The description says: This ayurvedic hair kit contains 100 grams organic cassia obovata, and 100 grams of shikakai powder. Okay. I think I'll try this in between the times I do my henna/indigo. Let's see what happens.

jbwphoto1
I have that kit but have never used the cassia and shikakai together. Please let us know how you like the treatment. Both herbs are really nice to my hair seperately so Im sure they will be great together!!

I LOVE this HHJ!!

EnExitStageLeft

crazytrish75

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I plan to use this this method this weekend for my tea rinse. I am going to add Fenugeek powder to my BASE tea mixture using your method and see how it goes.

jewel

The herbs do stank, but I'll keep using them if my hair will look half as good as yours :lachen:.

Babygrowth

I love this thread! I've had wonderful henna gloss sessions and now I'm ready to venture out but like Ms. T I will have to buy the premixed stuff.