Natural Vs. Non-Natural Products.. Opinions??

Pretty1008

So Ladies...:spinning:

Since vowing to spoil my hair, I've become a huge PJ. I've tried everything from Miss Jessies to Curl Junkie.. I have to say that while there are some non-natural produuts that worked pretty well for me, my hair is truly thriving now that I use almost exclusively natural/organic products (Kinky Curly, Essential oils, Curl Junkie etc..) So I gotta ask... Ladies do you prefer natural or non-natural products? In your opinion, what do you see as the pro's & con's of each?

Let me know what you think!!!!...

tmhuggiebear

Well I am no expert on this. But I definitely love natural products. My hair definitely seems to thrive on them. My air just feels so much lighter when I use them. And i don't have to worry as much about things such as cones in the product make up.

msa

Well it depends on what you mean by natural. Most of the product lines touted as "natural" products have many ingredients that are clearly not natural or made in a lab (though they may be derived from a natural oil or something like that).

Personally, there was a period when I only used natural, edible products on my hair (water, castor oil, coconut oil, coconut milk, fruits, aloe vera, etc.) and my hair did fine. Now I've gotten back into "natural" products (Aubrey Organics, Oyin, Talia Waajid, etc.) and my hair is doing fine.

With the edible products I had more peace of mind about what I was putting on my head, but that was main difference. I would never go back to using things with parabens, formaldehyde, synthetic colors, and other ingredients that are linked to skin sensitivities, cancers, immunity problems, and other issues. So for my lifestyle, "natural" is better.

Aggie

I won't kid you, I like both natural and non-natural hair products but the truth of the matter is....natural products have been a thousand times kinder to my hair.

Since making a slow transition to more organic/natural products, I have noticed that my hair has less breakage, has more tensil strength and elasticity, and a softness that is undeniable.

I like henna and other ayurveda hair products as well and they have been really good to my hair. It is stronger and softer all at the same time as a result of using these wonderful herbs and oils.

I have drastically scaled back the amount of commercial and other non-natural products from my regimen and my hair is happier.

There are still some commercial products I really like and have a really hard time giving up like Roux Porosity Control Poo Shampoo and Conditioner, Joico products, Aussie Moist Conditioner, v05 conditioners for co-washing after my henna treatments, and some reconstructor conditioners I have.

These latter items are still kind to my hair and because it's not broken, I'm not trying to fix it:grin:.

Miss AJ

I would like to convert to more natural products but I can't afford a lot of that stuff, plus I'm slightly heavy handed with products.

CTBhair

I personally use "Natural" and Non-Natural Products. I think you need to know what your hair can handle and what helps it flourish. For example, there are a lot of people who are "cone" free, but for me several of my products with cones work wonders and have actually helped my hair.

I do use natural products such as henna, oils and then the manufactured stuff like Aubrey Organics, Oyin Handmade, etc. However, I would fight somebody if you tried to take away my Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Conditioner! :swordfigh

I think it is a personal choice as far as what products you use and that you cannot go wrong as long as you are maintaining healthy beautiful hair.

Tene

My hair loves both natural and non natural, and some of the non natural works better than the natural. So I use whatever product works for my hair.

Last edited:

shenitab

I would like to convert to more natural products but I can't afford a lot of that stuff, plus I'm slightly heavy handed with products.

Me too. With three heads to do, I can go bankrupt due to the cost of some of the natural products. I have decided to go slow, and maybe experiment with a new natural line every month or so. I am hoping I can get some good deals around black Friday and Christmas. I will probably end up using a mix of natural and non natural. :grin:

MonPetite

I walk the line. Natural add-ins give the non-natural an economical boost. Purely natural regimens leave my natural hair wanting.

Nonie

Since I'm not a PJ, I haven't experimented with a lot of products to really know the answer to this, so I continue to use both natural and non-natural products. I have found good in both.

DrC

I'm a transitioner and I get more benefits from natural products ( EVCO, Baking Soda, mayo, Eggs, Sunflower Oil, Honey, Apple Cider Vinegar, Ayurvedic Oils) My scalp is sensitive to most artificial chemicals ( especially in shampoos) and starts acting up. I have reduced my non natural products down to only V05 conditioner/ IP detangling conditioner and next time I will be using the Shakakai bar to cleanse my hair. Now if i ever decide to straighten my hair with a flat iron..( thats a different story)

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have quite a mixture of both Nat & Un-Nats and I enjoy using both.:grin:

I will admit, I do pay attention to the ingredients of Salon based products a little more than I use to.:look:

But I currently use, enjoy and have a variety of both.:yep:

Natural

A Pro: Alot of them have great ingredients

A Con: Most of the ones I love are from on-line "Sellers" and sometimes the Shipping charges and the wait can sometimes be a turn-off.

Also, the limited shelf-life especially if you buy alot of products like I do.:sad:

Kurlee

I have quite a mixture of both Nat & Un-Nats and I enjoy using both.:grin:

I will admit, I do pay attention to the ingredients of Salon based products a little more than I use to.:look:

But I currently use, enjoy and have a variety of both.:yep:

Natural

A Pro: Alot of them have great ingredients

A Con: Most of the ones I love are from on-line "Sellers" and sometimes the Shipping charges and the wait can sometimes be a turn-off.

Also, the limited shelf-life especially if you buy alot of products like I do.:sad:
:yep::yep:

Vashti

Well if you mean natural products as in commercial products with natural ingredients I don't use those - so many of them cost way too much. I do use a mix of natural (as in stuff I can find in my kitchen) and commercial products. I think I've struck the right balance between the two and my hair is doing fine.

tdc1978

I'm a PJ too and I am trying to use more natural products, but I still have a lot of other products to use up.

MissMusic

I only use natural products (Bee Mine, Aubrey Organics, Nature's Gate, and Taaliah Wajid) and my hair is thriving!!!!!! I must say that since making the switch to only natural products, I use less product and my hair holds moisture longer.

If you are looking for a product line that is cheaper, but natural go with Taaliah Wajid. Most products run between $5-$8, a little goes a long way and can be found in target. I have not tried all of them, but there are plenty of youtube reviews if you are interested.