Petroleum, Mineral Oil, pro's and cons

sdumasw

Hello ladies,

Since visiting this site I have learned a lot from this site, one of them was regarding mineral oil and petroleum. Are they drying to the hair? if anyone knows can you inform of any pro's and cons regarding these ingredients that are in so many black products.

Thank you,
s.d. :)

lovechic

The molecules of these oils are to big to penetrate the hair. But a good thing about it is that they can lubricate the hair when using heat, and help keep it from breaking. Another con is that mineral/petroleum builds up easily. It's hard to find too many products that don't contain one or the other!!! HAPPY HAIR GROWING TO YA!!! WELCOME TO LHCF!!!

Koffie

msportugal said:
i dont care what anyone says this stuff is good for my ends
I agree. What works for some may not work for others. Well, I grew up in the south and grease was a staple in most hair regimes down here, and I boy I tell ya', when I look back at child hood pictures and memories of me and my lil' friends, that grease must have done some kinda good because we all had longer than bra-strap hair when pressed.

I understand its not good for some of our hair, and by no-means will I try to push it on people so do what you do.

But on the other hand, some hair thrives with grease (i.e. mine's) & check this out, my little 4 year old cousin who's grandmother raises her, has a good old fashion hair regime of Vaseline and water; this lil' girl has butt length hair that grown women get jealous of. I don't know how many times I've been out with this little girl and people think she's my daughter and ask what I do to her hair.

simcha

I avoid these products like the plague. My hair just doesn't respond well to them. It's like they just coat my hair and weigh it down... My hair seems to respond better to olive oil. I do olive oil pre-shampoo treatments and I discovered (by accident) a moisturizer called Egyptian Magic. I originally bought it to use on my skin.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I used to avoid petro/mo products. I still hate them in leave-in products because they are oily and hard to shampoo out. But I don't mind them in rinse out conditioners.

simcha

I wanted to add. I guess the only way to find out what works and doesn't work is to try them out. I have a bag full of products that through trial and error didn't work on my hair. Which can not only be frustrating but expensive. But it is truly gratifying when you hit upon something that works.

Welcome to the board and Happy New Year!

Nay

I believe I read somewhere that these two can clog your pores and also be drying to your hair.

But I loves me some petroleum and mineral oil, and my hair seems to do great with these products. So I ain't given 'em up.

I've tried expensive and I've tried cheapo, and my ghetto hair loves the cheapo :lol:

MelsWifey

Hair Fanatic
I use petroleum products on my ends to seal the moisture if I'm wearing a tucked in braid or phony pony and it works great. I don't however put them on my scalp unless I'm basing for a relaxer because my pores seem to clogg fairly easy and it makes my scalp itch. I treat my scalp just like I do my face...I wouldn't use any products on it that will clog the pores on my face, so I keep that rule of thumb for my scalp as well ;).