Tangle Teezer = Splitsville?

DirtyJerzeyGirly

Got several from Sally's, love them, does not have a british flag.

Never knew some was coming with a british flag on them

I should have said the british flag is shown on one of the little direction/about the product papers enclosed with the TT. It's not on the TT itself.

JerriBlank

Well the tt had a lukewarm review at http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2011/02/lukewarm-final-word-on-tangle-teezer.html#links

Apparently, Jc had to delete a couple of rough comments that were placed in response to her review. I've only been on hair boards 5 months. Have people been heated over other products like this?
Oh wow.:perplexed
See that mess right there. Yeah some people don't like it when you don't have the same experience that they have with a product they love. I would say they are the minority though. This thread is pretty civil,but I have read some reviews in the past where someone sounds like they are about to shove some dc down someone's throat until they like it.:lol::look:

reeko43

Oh wow.:perplexed
See that mess right there. Yeah some people don't like it when you don't have the same experience that they have with a product they love. I would say they are the minority though. This thread is pretty civil,but I have read some reviews in the past where someone sounds like they are about to shove some dc down someone's throat until they like it.:lol::look:

:lachen::lol::lachen::lol::lachen:

Iluvsmuhgrass

:look: It's a full moon and people are crazy as hell. :look:

I would never cut someone over product or items for hair... unless they were trying to dip into my personal stash. :giggle:

Nayna

Unbothered
I didn't quote because I'm on my phone but on the tangle teezer website they listed authorized retailers. She ordered from one of them because she was buying wholesale. Hopefully most other places are doing that as well; buying wholesale from authorized retailers and reselling them. She says I'm paranoid lol. Aside from the flag thing. Maybe they just have different types of decorated instructions? Idk.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I should have said the british flag is shown on one of the little direction/about the product papers enclosed with the TT. It's not on the TT itself.
Ah-ok. I checked mine and they must have changed product packaging. I have a total of 3 TTs. I mispoke....2 of the TTs does not have a british flag anywhere on the product package. The 3rd one, the most recent one purchased (about a week ago) has the flag on the instructions. The instructions are the same for all 3 TTs. The 3 TTs even look the same.

Last edited:

carameldelight87

I don't have any problems with mine. I swear y'all got me feelin like a crackhead cuz I just can't fathom giving up this AWESOME detangled feeling! :covereyes And separating twist outs and braid outs has never been so easy!!

I wonder though if the women who have noticed splits have considered whether it was possibly a protein overload or deficiency that caused their hair to split? Idk, just throwing out ideas. :)

reeko43

I wonder though if the women who have noticed splits have considered whether it was possibly a protein overload or deficiency that caused their hair to split? Idk, just throwing out ideas. :)

Nah, I am sure the TT is working just fine for some with those hair issues. There doesn't have to be anything "wrong" with a person's hair, I just think that there is no hair tool known to man that works on every single head of hair it has ever been used on. Also, there is no comb/brush that causes zero damage to the hair. I believe that a tool is doing just great if it works on a good majority. "One size fits all" just does not exist. "One size fits most", sure.

Last edited:

loshed

Yeah, I had to give it up. After about a month or two I started noticing mid-shaft splits. I have never, ever had any sort of noticeable splitting before. I wondered if it was the TT and then I come here and this thread was sitting on the front page. So I haven't used it for like 2 weeks and I haven't notice any new ones so I think the TT was the problem.

Wah. I don't want to hear this because I'm in love with my tangle teezer, but as I was applying my dc..... I noticed some interesting shorter hairs... On another note, the modified denman is the truth! I'll have to ethier be more careful or put it down altogether because since falling in love with my TT, I notice that I am alot less vigilant about going slow and working in smaller sections. I knida breeze right through and that might be the cause of those hairs...

divachyk

I'm of the few that's claimed no problems, yet. However, I'm curious though, how did you locate mid-shaft splits? Were you combing and just glimpsed them? Did you inspect your hair thoroughly and found them that way? I say I don't have mid-shaft splits but I am unable to see all parts of my hair without doing acrobatic moves. Not meaning to ramble, just trying to figure out how did you all uncover your mid-shaft splits?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I'm of the few that's claimed no problems, yet. However, I'm curious though, how did you locate mid-shaft splits? Were you combing and just glimpsed them? Did you inspect your hair thoroughly and found them that way? I say I don't have mid-shaft splits but I am unable to see all parts of my hair without doing acrobatic moves. Not meaning to ramble, just trying to figure out how did you all uncover your mid-shaft splits?

I know that I check my shed hairs regularly. Occasionally I find ONE that is split or mangled. However, I also have to keep in mind, there are lots of reasons that a hair may split. Basic manipulation being one of the top reasons for it.

I also enlist the use of my stylist (hence the most recent visit) to check the back of head thoroughly.

carameldelight87

I've been checking my shed hairs for the past few days and haven't seen one mid-shaft split yet. I'm SO relieved because the Tangle Teezer has been amazing for me. Sorry that it's not working for others. :/

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
I think the Tangle Teezer finally got me ya'll. I'm 2 months in and I'm seeing mid-shaft splits and a ridiculous amount of single strand nots. Whereas I rarely found either prior to usage. I'm sad and mad, but you live and learn. I really liked how it made my hair so smooth, but now I have to let it go :sad:.

I have coarse strands and used it on wet hair with conditioner in small sections.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I think the Tangle Teezer finally got me ya'll. I'm 2 months in and I'm seeing mid-shaft splits and a ridiculous amount of single strand nots. Whereas I rarely found either prior to usage. I'm sad and mad, but you live and learn. I really liked how it made my hair so smooth, but now I have to let it go :sad:.

I have coarse strands and used it on wet hair with conditioner in small sections.
i chose to sit back on my fingers & rev back on my thumb every since curlynik stated she had splits:look::look: ..... naaaw I don't quite know what that means, but in the deep south the mom's & grandmom said it all whilst I was growing up:lachen::lachen: so yeah i throw it out there every now and then.....:look: will update u when i figure it out
i feel nikk is one of those who truly knows her hair:yep:

so when i heard the rumble in the crowd, i said maybe... but when she stated she found splits = no thanks i wish i had Nonie's camera

b/c i can clearly see (ON MINE) FLATTENED & sharp ends from very very little usage

Last edited:

MeowMix

OP, I just KNEW it had to be something else, not the TT:( In fact I sent thanks to ladies defending it in this thread. Well, long story short, I'm doing a trim. I'm seing all kind of short hairs. Thanks for looking out. Wish my hair was as hard as my head....sigh

Diva_Esq

UPDATE ON MY TT EXPERIENCE:

Ok, so as I said earlier in the thread, I have been using TT during my daily cowash sessions. I cowash and while condish is in my wet hair, I use TT to brush the condish through so it coats all strands evenly and detangles. :drool: It's way more thorough than the Denman or a wide-tooth comb! Love it! ANYWHO... I went for a trim last week. My last trim was December 30. My stylist barely had to dust my ends and said they looked "great!" He did not notice a lot of splits and no mid-shaft splits. My hair was flat ironed at the time.

TT is a hit for me! No damage, but then again, my use is limited to wet hair, in the shower with super slippy condish and a few brushes with the TT for condish distribution.

JJamiah

Passes around a tray (bucket) for the tangle teezers not wanted :grin: (will glady take care of them :look:)

As this woman right here sleeps with her tangle teezer by her bed :look: :giggle:

AlliCat

I don't use the TT to detangle my hair but then I'm scared of brushes in general (thanks Cathy) but it is great to smooth my buns.

Any other fine haired relaxed ladies using the TT to detangle?

I just got one yesterday...It did a pretty thorough job of detangling but I'm still using my wide tooth comb for breaking in main tangles. It also gives my hair lots of volume

mshoney2u

now i'm a little alarmed.... imo CurlyNikki KNOWS her hair very well

I just thought this maybe helpful to someone.I wanna co-sign to what CurlyNikki said. The tangle teaser detangled my hair so good. But......... it set me back at least 6 months. I didn't notice too many strands in the TT but I have major breakage and I KNOW it was the TT. I brought my tangle teaser 2 months ago and everything was good until about two weeks ago I noticed curls were shorter. No more TT for me!

divachyk

Still holding on to mine although I'm no longer actively using. I find that I can detangle nicely while in a stretch if I spritz my ng with diluted Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier and use my wide tooth comb.

anon123

Well, I think I'm going to have to agree here. I've been using the TT for 4 months now. My split ends have been increasing in number and severity each month. I wasn't sure what it was at first, didn't want to say, but now I'm pretty sure it's the TT. I've never seen this many split ends on my hair before. And I saw one that was feathered! I had never seen such a thing on my hair before. I think all those bristles going through my hair over and over is just too much manipulation.

It's really disheartening. It's like, any other detangling methods I use don't fully detangle even though I spend hours combing. And that leaves me with knotty hair and lots of SSKs. Since TT, I've had far fewer SSKs (until I tried a wash and go again, bad girl!) and way less tangling and can detangle my hair faster, but the manipulation necessary to get my hair in this less tangled state gives me splits. :(

anon123

1. Excessive use of hot styling tools (irons, hot curlers, blow dryers, hot combs).
2. Overuse of chemical treatments (relaxers, perms, hair color).
3. Use of inferior styling tools that rip or snag hair (cheap synthetic brushes or combs, brush rollers, etc.,).
4. Environmental damage from heat, cold, wind and other climate issues.
5. Lack of routine maintenance such as regular trimming.
6. Improper detangling techniques.
7. Over washing.
8. Use of inferior hair care products.
9. Excessive use of styling products such as gels, waxes and sprays.
10. Trimming ends with inferior or dull scissors.

She is right in that all these things can cause split ends. But my use or non-use of these things haven't changed. The one thing that has changed is the TT, so I think that is the culprit. I thought maybe it was getting my hair straightened at first, but that seems unlikely. That was 4 months ago now, and I didn't see any splits then. Or even shortly thereafter. But with the use of TT, every month my splits are getting worse I know it's just the manipulation, plain and simple. scores of bristles running through my hair. Detangling with a wide tooth comb doesn't have scores of teeth running through the hair each time. But it's all the little teeth/bristles of the TT that get my hair detangled. I mean, I wish it weren't so, because it just makes me so sad. It's like every time I think I might have found something to help with my hair, I get let down. And that's been the case for years now. Whoever said (long, loose) natural hair is not rocket science, well, must not be dealing with this hair. :sad: