Tangle Teezer = Splitsville?

Arcadian

i didn't get any splits, but i only used it a couple of times. i had to go back to the deman. that tangle teezer was a big ole tease for my hair!

Wow seriously? Man and the denman duked it out today! My hair is getting crazy enough that even thats not enough. I had kept my eye on the TT but well... Imma leave that alone.

I need to find me a kcutter apparently.

-A

An_gell

I have been using my TT since Sept and I have not had any splits due to it. I am losing less hair when I do detangle with it which is about once a week if that. It is my main styling tool other than the denman which I use just to smoothe the top of hair back. Overall I think I have gained thickness and retained alot of hair since I completely stopped using combs and started using it exclusively. I love it and will continue to use it. IMO I think any tool can cause damage or splits be it comb, brush, TT if not used with care. Especially if you already have fine, thin and fragile strands.

Last edited:

virtuenow

I have been using my TT since Sept and I have not had any splits due to it. I am losing less hair when I do detangle with it which is about once a week if that. It is my main styling tool other than the denman which I use just to smoothe the top of hair back. Overall I think I have gained thickness and retained alot of hair since I completely stopped using combs and started using it exclusively. I love it and will continue to use it. IMO I think any tool can cause damage or splits be it comb, brush, TT if not used with care. Especially if you already have fine, thin and fragile strands.

Yes, I think due to the TT, my hair thriving. My rough hair practice days are over. It is filling its thickness back in and growing nicely. I used it everyday since last Wednesday I'm so in love w/this thing. I never thought I would be a daily comb person! My hair seems much more healthy :yep: now.

@virtuenow

So you detangle on dry hair??

I have an install that i'll be taking down in 4 weeks. Whenever i take down installs I usually detangle, but loose so much hair. And i'm SURE it's becuase i don't detangle properly. This will be my first time taking down an install since i've been natural so I want to make sure to keep ALL of my new hair and have the least amount of shedding possible!!! I'm so scurred :-(

Yes, I detangle on dry hair. When I wet my hair, it snaps back and shrinks up like nobodys business. I have nearly bsl hair, and my wet hair is twa length. In other words, my hair is not only more fragile when its wet (like everyone elses), its also alot more coiled and compact together-- i.e., tangled. So no matter what tool I use, I have to stretch a piece out w/my hands and create single strand knots and more tangles as Im combing trhough the wet hair. I have to rip through it to get the comb out and lose hair, stretch strands beyond belief (since wet hair is full of water and stretches to its brinking point), and lose more hair than I save.

Now that I use the tangle teezer, I feel weired calling it detangling since it just glides through my dry hair like butter. Its hard to explain, but I have a shine, sheeen and softness I never experienced w/any hair tool.

Last edited:

davisbr88

Yes, I detangle on dry hair. When I wet my hair, it snaps back and shrinks up like nobodys business. I have nearly bsl hair, and my wet hair is twa length. In other words, my hair is not only more fragile when its wet (like everyone elses), its also alot more coiled and compact together-- i.e., tangled. So no matter what tool I use, I have to stretch a piece out w/my hands and create single strand knots and more tangles as Im combing trhough the wet hair. I have to rip through it to get the comb out and lose hair, stretch strands beyond belief (since wet hair is full of water and stretches to its brinking point), and lose more hair than I save.

Now that I use the tangle teezer, I feel weired calling it detangling since it just glides through my dry hair like butter. Its hard to explain, but I have a shine, sheeen and softness I never experienced w/any hair tool.

This is really interesting. I never thought to detangle on dry hair. I'm confused, though... do you let it air dry and then detangle? I don't air dry with my hair loose because all my hair would coil on itself. How do you prevent this?

ChristmasCarol

I still love it! I use it on my transitioning hair (22) months, and my 3 DDs use it on their natural hair. None if us have experienced any adverse effects. We only use it on conditioner-laden hair. BTW, all of us have different hair lengths, types and textures.

virtuenow

This is really interesting. I never thought to detangle on dry hair. I'm confused, though... do you let it air dry and then detangle? I don't air dry with my hair loose because all my hair would coil on itself. How do you prevent this?

Over the course of using the TT for a few months, my hair is alot less tangled. I don't really have a detangle "stage" in my program anymore b/c I don't need it. I blowdry my hair after most washes...so I just glide the Tangle Teezer through each section after blowdry taht section. Sort of chasing the blowdry while that section is still warm--it makes each section so lush.

Or sometimes, I detangle before I wash. My hair is not really tangled anymore, and the shed hairs now just slide out...so the process is no production like it used to be. In other words, I detangle on stretched hair. It used to take me 4-6 hours to detangle plus 2 hours to wash/style (an 8-10 hour production), as recently as December (see the thread I started about my nightmare detanglings sessions)...Now it takes me a total of 2hours for everything.

Also, when I airdry, I wait until my hair is dry and stretched out to detangle.

Last edited:

An_gell

virtuenow,
I agree, alot of areas that had thinned out for me have grown in super thick and I have far less breakage and shedding. My thin hair has thicken up drastically, and I'm loving it.:grin:

biancaelyse

I forgot to add my detangling method. The night before wash day, I put a bunch of conditioner in my hair, pin it into a bun and wrap in plastic or a shower cap. I go to the gym in the morning (head wrapped in a bandana of course) and do cardio so my hair gets steamy.

I go home and detangle my hair in the shower while still full of conditioner. A breeze!!

AKA-Tude

I am still using mine
(took me forever to start with it).

My hair loves it!

I detangle on dry hair as well.

After I wash,
I add my BRBC and a little gel.
After drying, I take small sections to finger coil
add HBT Gel and the TT glides right thru my hair.
Then I coil (for bed).

I use the TT every nite for coiling.
It's cut coiling time down a bit as well.

I lose less hair with TT than anything else.

TT is still big as hayle though...:ohwell:

lovegymnasts

@lovegymnasts

Whats the k-cutter??? I so wanted to try the tangle teezer, but I can NOT afford any split ends lol.

I do not remember where I got it on the net but it was like $2.99.

The Tangle Teazer might work for you. I loved it except for the splits.

Honi

There is no board.
I still use mine. I slowly pass it thru in the shower during condish rinse outs and one last time while airdrying. Other than that I leave my hair alone til the following week. No splits. I'm fine haired relaxed. DD 4b hair can't do without. Her hair is less tangly after washing. I use it on damp not soaking wet hair. Seems to work better that way. No shredding of the ends.

Out of curiosity I emailed the company regarding this issue. The brush could be improved.

Sent from my LS670 using Long Hair Care Forum App

winterinatl

All natural!
I don't use the TT to detangle my hair but then I'm scared of brushes in general (thanks Cathy) but it is great to smooth my buns.

Any other fine haired relaxed ladies using the TT to detangle?

I use it and I love it because I go a long time between relaxers. I have splits but they were before the TT. Everytime I pick the denman back up I yank out a whole bunch of hair. Honestly I think I had less splits than before.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

iri9109

i dont use it on soaking wet hair...i mostly use it to dry detangle after spritzing the section lightly with AVJ/water and coating with and oil mix...occasionally i use it to refresh/smooth random curls but i like the TT much better on dry/almost dry hair...i havent really noticed an increase in splits, but i havent been looking for them either...

I was wary about it because it doesn't seem to be made very well, the bristles seemed a bit uneven at the tips but so far I haven't seen any ill effects. This may be because I barely use it and I don't use it for knots, more for ordinary brushing to neaten my hair. It gives a smoother look than a brush. I wish Mason Pearson would come out with one with perfectly smooth bristles lol.

Renewed1

I used it once a week on wash day, on hair loaded with conditioner, on very small sections, and was very gentle.

lovegymnasts I think this is key. It is still a BRUSH and you have to be careful while using it. You can't go raking a brush through natural DRY hair and not expect split ends. I learned that the hard way with my Denman.

But if I had to choose between the TT and my Denman.....TT wins hands down.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
I've been using my TT since August of last year (2010) and I have yet to see any negative results from using it. I typically wash and detangle my hair once a week with leave in only. So until I see anything different, it will remain my primary detangling tool.

lettieg27

Yeah I have fine strands so I decided to use the tangle teezer every other week versus every week, and I think applying it to damp-dry hair is better than soaking wet hair. My hair truly broke everytime I tried to use the denman and the tangle teezer gets out all the knots that I can go on without using it every week.

tnLOVELY

I have been using it to detangle on dry hair and haven't noticed anything yet, but I don't use it on my whole head right now since I'm in an install. I will definately closely watch for split ends.

Nasdaq_Diva

@ms-gg

Told my beloved Auntie about the TT and the risk of causing splits..she was NOT trying to hear it..girl I had to tell her to 'Simma down' :lachen:

eta: Here is the convo (FB) :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Me: Auntie:: Breaking news:: on LHCF there is a thread saying that the Tangle Teezer is causing midshaft splitting!! I know how much you love that thing!

Auntie:I can only comment on my hair...there has been NO splitting or breakage of my hair...at all. I don't use the TT as a daily tool...only when detangling, after shampooing and with a conditioner. This isn't the first time I've "heard" this.

Me:Ok Auntie..simma down..lol. I'm glad nothing is going on with your hair. Just keep a watchful eye.

Auntie: *heh* I'm cool, i'm cool. I take anything I read on online forums with a [small] grain of salt

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
So glad I found my box and receipt. I'm gonna clean this thing up and take it back, lol. I had mixed feelings about it anyway because it isn't seamless and I switched to all seamless combs awhile back to help prevent splits. My hair splits if I look at it too hard...I don't need anything to help it along.

I'd rather spend the money from this on another seamless comb anyway.

Bubblingbrownshuga

I can't say for sure that the TT gave/is giving me splits, but I believe it may be. My hair is fine and nappy and as such gets knotted very easily. The TT was the first and only thing that has TOTALLY detangled my hair. I started to notice splits in my hair about a month after I started using it. Didn't attribute it to the TT because I hadn't had a trim in about eight months (but I was watching my hair very closely those eight months, and I didn't have splits, or at least didn't have any noticeable splits). I went to the salon and got my hair dyed and trimmed,so I started with fresh ends. It's about a month after and I am again noticing splits. Unfortunately I can't say that it's because of the dye or the TT. I am going to lay off the TT for the next few washes and see if the splits get worse or not.

I love your hair color in your siggy.

~~HoneyComb~~

The tangle teezer has been a life saver in detangling my and hair my DDs hair--it cut the time of detangling time down in half and then some.

I haven't noticed any difference in my hair in the past couple months of using it, but then again, I don't know if I have splits or if I've gained splits because I don't examine the ends of my hair--I'm one of those that as long as my hair looks healthy and is growing, then I'm good.

Mandy4610

I am trying to love...or even like the TT but so far nothing!

I tried it on wet/damp hair and it was ok, but not better than my denman.

Then I made the mother of All Mistakes......I used it on dry hair!!! Lawd have mercy!!! Breakage galore......Needless to say I will never bring that thing anywhere near my dry hair ever again! Stupid I know!

I have the feeling that I would be one of those unfortunate people that this doesn't work for! I just can't get down with it!

It seems ok on wet/damp hair, but one thing I find most annoying is the so called ergonomical shape of this brush....I hate it! I wish it had a handle. I never know how to hold this thing, its so awkward to be. maybe because I have short/small hands.

I will hold on to it and see if I find a different technique with it, but for now I believe my Denman is still the best.

Last edited:

mischka

shrinkage.
oh is that what that thing is... last time i went to the salon the shampoo girl ran that thing through my hair like a million times... im like do you see how curly my hair is. it is not ever going to be able to comb straight through, stop raking that f8cking comb over my head.

Honi

There is no board.
I got a response from a Tangle Teezer rep. Read below and decide for yourselves. I will continue to use mine. I have no problems with it and will keep a watch out if anything changes.

Hi *******

Sorry for the late response we have been so busy here in London.
I don’t wish to sound defensive in any way at all as that is not how we wish to come across. I am a hairdresser of 30 years so I feel qualified to advise you.

I have cut and pasted some points from a website for you to look at regarding split ends and then I’ll give you my advice if I may.

1. Excessive use of hot styling tools (irons, hot curlers, blow dryers, hot combs).
2. Overuse of chemical treatments (relaxers, perms, hair color).
3. Use of inferior styling tools that rip or snag hair (cheap synthetic brushes or combs, brush rollers, etc.,).
4. Environmental damage from heat, cold, wind and other climate issues.
5. Lack of routine maintenance such as regular trimming.
6. Improper detangling techniques.
7. Over washing.
8. Use of inferior hair care products.
9. Excessive use of styling products such as gels, waxes and sprays.
10. Trimming ends with inferior or dull scissors.

Split ends are caused by many things. Regarding brushing of hair, Tangle Teezer was designed specifically for detangling wet hair ( it delivers on dry hair too). Tangle Teezer dramatically reduces stretch therefore we can’t really attribute split ends to this. In all my years of hairdressing I would say split ends are mainly caused by,

Lack of trimming,
Colour, perms, straightening, sun, air conditioning, central heating and last of all brushing.
Bad brushing can cause breakage and snapping but not split ends.

A point of interest, we have been available now for four years and this is the first time anyone has ever mentioned a split end. In fact we get emails and testimonials from ladies and little girls who have said they have actually managed to grow their hair as Tangle Teezer stops breakage.

I hope that helps you without sounding too over protective of the brand.
I have attached some of our British awards for you to see. Tangle Teezer really is amazing at detangling wet hair it really is, we have sold over 1.5 Million in 3 years and that was before we entered the US market. It’s also fab for kids. Please feel free to contact us at any time if you need further help or advice.

Best regards,
Sheena.

WINNER - Your Hair Magazine - Best de-tangling brush 2011
WINNER - Cosmoplitan Magazine - Best Hairbrush 2010
WINNER - Hair Tools - LookFantastic Experts' Award 2009
WINNER - GRAZIA - Best in Beauty
WINNER - Professional Hairdresser - Top Product Award 2008
WINNER - Hairdressers Journal - Product Innovation Award 2008
WINNER - Frizz Magazine - Product Innovation Award 2007

prettyinpurple

oh is that what that thing is... last time i went to the salon the shampoo girl ran that thing through my hair like a million times... im like do you see how curly my hair is. it is not ever going to be able to comb straight through, stop raking that f8cking comb over my head.

That was probably a shampoo brush, which is similar but smaller than the TT.

MISSBOSSY

I used the TT once, but something about it didn't sit well with me. I haven't used it since, thankfully. I don't need any more help getting splits :(