Tangle Teezer = Splitsville?

lovegymnasts

I got a response from a Tangle Teezer rep. Read below and decide for yourselves. I will continue to use mine. I have no problems with it and will keep a watch out if anything changes.

Hi *******

Sorry for the late response we have been so busy here in London.
I don’t wish to sound defensive in any way at all as that is not how we wish to come across. I am a hairdresser of 30 years so I feel qualified to advise you.

They do sound defensive
I have cut and pasted some points from a website for you to look at regarding split ends and then I’ll give you my advice if I may.

1. Excessive use of hot styling tools (irons, hot curlers, blow dryers, hot combs).
I don't use
2. Overuse of chemical treatments (relaxers, perms, hair color).
I don't use
3. Use of inferior styling tools that rip or snag hair (cheap synthetic brushes or combs, brush rollers, etc.,).
I don't use
4. Environmental damage from heat, cold, wind and other climate issues.
Not an issue. I live in temperate climate
5. Lack of routine maintenance such as regular trimming.
I don't regularly trim but that would not create mid-shaft splits
6. Improper detangling techniques.
I am very careful when I detangle. I've got kinky hair. I better be careful.
7. Over washing.
I wash once a week
8. Use of inferior hair care products.
My hair loves the products I use
9. Excessive use of styling products such as gels, waxes and sprays.
I don't use any of these things
10. Trimming ends with inferior or dull scissors.
I use the correct scissors but again that would have nothing to do with mid-shaft splits.
Split ends are caused by many things. Regarding brushing of hair, Tangle Teezer was designed specifically for detangling wet hair ( it delivers on dry hair too). Tangle Teezer dramatically reduces stretch therefore we can’t really attribute split ends to this.

My response in red. This person does sound very defensive.
As many people have said, nothing is going to work for everyone. I was in love with the TT until I noticed the mid-shaft splits. It works for many people but I have to give it up.

Honi

There is no board.
As many people have said, nothing is going to work for everyone. I was in love with the TT until I noticed the mid-shaft splits. It works for many people but I have to give it up.

That's fine :yep: I only wrote the company to find out if they had heard any complaints in London (or anywhere else) before it became so popular in the US.

The information provided as to other reasons why splits can occur was valuable but in the end you must do what is best for your hair.

PPGbubbles

I used it once and I knew it was a No-go!.... I lost about 3 times the amount of hair I do in a detangling session. and I inspected the hairs individually...They were not all shed hairs.

And I did all the "right" things. Did my normal DC, finger combed, used a wide tooth comb, and finally sealed the deal with the TT.

Never Again... it was a smooth operator of death! effortlessly gliding through my hair and non chalantly breaking off my fine strands :(

What works for some, does not work for all.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Ok...I have definite proof that my current use of the Tangle Teezer on wet or dry hair is NOT causing any splits.

I went for a dusting today. My stylist loves the fact that my shrunken hair looks soooo short but flat irons to between full SL and approaching APL. However, she meticulously checked my hair from back to front and said that my hair was in EXCELLENT shape with no splits at the ends or mid-shaft.

I am pleased since I LOVE my TT and would be disappointed if I had to return to using my wide tooth comb.

virtuenow

She didn't sound defensive-- but you do. I figured this was the first time they recieved a mention of it causing splits. I searched the net, and this thing has beeen out for years; and I found no mention or complaint anywhere until CurlyNikki recently--and right after that, some women here...So, perhaps they are perplexed as are those of us who have less splits and breakage like most of the reviews that I read before buying it that date back to 2007.

reeko43

She didn't sound defensive-- but you do. I figured this was the first time they recieved a mention of it causing splits. I searched the net, and this thing has beeen out for years; and I found no mention or complaint anywhere until CurlyNikki recently--and right after that, some women here...So, perhaps they are perplexed as are those of us who have less splits and breakage like most of the reviews that I read before buying it that date back to 2007.

It seems like a lot of women here just started using the tt about a couple of months ago? I had problems with breakage immediately so I stopped using the comb. Some problems may not surface until the tt hase been used for some time.

I finally gave my tt away because I don't like wasting money. A friend of mine uses it on her daughter's natural hair and loves it. The only thing she doesn't like, and I had problems with that too, is that water seeps into the middle of the comb and is hard to shake out.

I look at this comb like prescription medication. Most have little to no side effects, some have minor side effects and some experience serious side effects and have to stop using all together.

JKinkylocks

Do you guys think that possibly there are different versions of the TT? I've looked at mine, and it's doesn't have blunt, rough tips. It's seamless and doesn't rip my hair. Mine is light blue in color.

Honi

There is no board.
Do you guys think that possibly there are different versions of the TT? I've looked at mine, and it's doesn't have blunt, rough tips. It's seamless and doesn't rip my hair. Mine is light blue in color.

Really? Can you take a picture of it?

JKinkylocks

I am going to try to remember to do it when I get home. But you guys are making me doubt now. I totally remember it being seamless and not harsh feeling at all when I took it out of the package.

LaNecia

GODsflower...amazing hair progress!!!

I purchased one today, my denman (modified) is the source of MUCH breakage and a K-cutter rips my hair like no other.

Not found anything yet that's good for my tangles.

lovegymnasts

I'm sorry but where are you seeing defensiveness?

I'm simply saying that every excuse is being given except accepting that there is a possibility that it might be the item mentioned. In addition, none of the excuses apply to me, a person who has experienced issues with the product.

Also, I highly doubt that the tool was tested extensively on afro textured natural type 4 hair.

Just because something gets a negative review from one person does not mean it might not work for someone else.

Finally, I do not follow CurlyNikki. I do not follow anyone.
I'm simply sharing an experience that may be of value to others.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

i think you may be right

I KNOW FOR SURE I'VE SEEN DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF BOXES... and I've also never seen a light blue one except online

twatombl

Wow I just commented on a thread raving about the TT and was going to pick one up, I'm seeing split reviews which is enough to make me hesitate. As a newbie I'm afraid to do anything to curb my current progress so I think I'll pass and stick with my Jilbre comb for now.

winterinatl

All natural!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only one or two people are saying they are seeing splits ? No offense, but they could be from anything. I think if you like the TT as a tool for your hair you should continue to use it. All this sending emails to the company and what not is extra. The vast majority of ladies that use it, from what I can see, love it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nayna

Unbothered
I think some of these floating around are fakes. I bought one online from amazon and then my boss bought them wholesale from an authorized retailer. Ours look different and we both have them in hot pink. Mine is a tad smaller the teeth look different and the pink isn't the same brightness. Also hers came with the British flag in the package and mine didn't. I'm buying one from her to test it so just beware. I think the teeth are shaped differently as well and the spacing is off.

Make sure to buy from authorized retailers.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only one or two people are saying they are seeing splits ? No offense, but they could be from anything. I think if you like the TT as a tool for your hair you should continue to use it. All this sending emails to the company and what not is extra. The vast majority of ladies that use it, from what I can see, love it.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::drunk:

Last edited:

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I think some of these floating around are fakes. I bought one online from amazon and then my boss bought them wholesale from an authorized retailer. Ours look different and we both have them in hot pink. Mine is a tad smaller the teeth look different and the pink isn't the same brightness. Also hers came with the British flag in the package and mine didn't. I'm buying one from her to test it so just beware. I think the teeth are shaped differently as well and the spacing is off.

Make sure to buy from authorized retailers.

The tangle teezer I got I got it from amazon.com and it has the british flag on it, too.

Honi

There is no board.

Sending emails asking questions about a product you purchased and used is never extra and I have every right to do it. This brush has been around for awhile before coming to the states so hell yeah I'm going to question it.

I did the same thing when cream of nature, giovanni and infusium changed their formula and will continue to do so if i hear anyone on the board having problems with a product. Its all about getting info and sharing which is what I do and what everyone does so you miss me with that one.

I personally don't have a problem with and will continue to use it

Sent from my LS670 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:

JerriBlank

Lawd I hope folks don't start getting cussed out because that lil thingamajigger didn't work for them. :lol:.It doesn't have to. People may try to use it hundreds of different ways and it still wouldn't work for them because it just doesn't.
It's not that serious yall! Everyone just breathe and stop! :lachen:

reeko43

Lawd I hope folks don't start getting cussed out because that lil thingamajigger didn't work for them. :lol:.It doesn't have to. People may try to use it hundreds of different ways and it still wouldn't work for them because it just doesn't.

Well the tt had a lukewarm review at http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2011/02/lukewarm-final-word-on-tangle-teezer.html#links

Apparently, Jc had to delete a couple of rough comments that were placed in response to her review. I've only been on hair boards 5 months. Have people been heated over other products like this?

andromeda

Cuss? I'll CUT a heaux over the tangle teezer! :whip: "Say you like it! Say you like it, heifer!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BostonMaria

Cuss? I'll CUT a heaux over the tangle teezer! :whip: "Say you like it! Say you like it, heifer!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LMAO you kidding me? People around here don't play. They'll cut you over a conditioner or favorite product line. If you don't believe me create a thread titled I hate Hairveda (or KBB, or Afroveda, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF