Tangle Teezer = Splitsville?

andromeda

This is alarming. I think I've used the TT on 3 or 4 occasions now. I don't why I didn't think of this before, but I should have designated a section of my hair on which to use it. That way it would be easier to monitor and isolate any potential splits and compare how that section of my hair was faring with the TT vs, the rest of my hair with my normal Jilbere. Oh well! Maybe someone can try this going forward.

NubianPrize

I had the opposite experience. I have a Denman I modified & another supposed to be for afro hair (4a/b like mine) and both rip my fine hair. On the other hand . My TT takes out very little & so far my ends are fine

gigi2011

Gave up my TT as well. I was using it for 2-3 mons. on conditioner coated hair, I would even use my shower comb first then the TT. When I first heard it was causing problems I didn't want to hear it but payed closer attention to my strands. Now I don't think my ends took a big hit but the last couple times I twisted my hair, I've noticed short hairs sticking out up and down the twist strand which I've never had before. It's like my hair has been shredded :nono: Still have a brand new un-used TT (bought 2) and just purchased the Denman D31 and tried it out for the first time. It worked pretty well, got rid of shed hair but unlike the TT the detangling session went from 20mins to an hour. Oh well tis life...

coilsgonewild

I ran across this video the other day. Tangle Teezer definitely gave me split ends out of this world which lead to a crazy amount of ssk(although I still love the ease of detangling with the TT it just wasn't worth the crazy splitting). I went and bought the shampoo brush that the youtuber talks about and it does work similar to the tangle teezer for my hair. Also because the ends are fat no split ends plus it is about 1/10 the price! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhkIEB9JEDo

sugarwater

I'm actually trimming my splits now :sad:
I'm not ready to give up on the tt though.
It's too convenient!

I'm going to have to find a way to modify it!

Tene

Yeah I think the tangle teezer shredded my hair. I see hairs sticking out all over and broken hairs in my crown section. No matter what styling product or moisturizer I use in my hair, it looks very frizzy from all the short hairs sticking out. My ends also feel very fuzzy. My hair just looks and feels fuzzy all over. The only time it looks decent is when I use gel. I threw my TT out a month or two ago. I now use the Mason Pearson rake Comb to detangle my hair.

Last edited:

JJamiah

I am still loving my Tangle Teezer 5 months Deep and not losing sleep love this thing. So Sorry to all the ladies that this isn't working for. :(

Karmin

♡♥ღ
I don't notice any decreased shedding. I still lose the same amount of hair. But I do like how it works and how smooth it makes my hair.I haven't noticed any increase in splits though. Hopefully that continues.

fluffyforever

I have been using my TT 1-2 times a week since I bought it in December. Mine is completely seamless. It is still the only thing that actually detangles my hair once and for all.

I haven't experienced any splits or chewed up ends. My hair still feels smoother after I use it. My sheading is about the same, but I am breaking less hairs for sure using the TT than any comb, pick, or brush.

growth2come

OMG I havent really been in the hair forum for a while and have been meaning to start a thread on the TT for a while now. Three weeks ago I had to cant off 3 inches of hair because of major splits both on the ends and mid hair shaft. I can only attribute the damage to that little thing because I hadly ever use any another comb to detangle. Its now going straight to the bin!

iri9109

i'm putting my TT away...lately i've been noticing more SSKs and split ends, plus the white splits that are in the middle of the strand (which i know i never had before), and slight breakage...my hair is definitely growing because i can tell from the roots, but i dont think i'm retaining like i could be...i'm not totally blaming it on the TT b/c i wasn't really looking for split ends and knots before i started using it, but i cant help but notice them now...so i'm going back to using my fingers and wide tooth comb and occasionally my denman paddle brush which does as good of a job, and it has a handle.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Stuck between a crossroads. Prefer not to use the TT but nothing smooths the strands like than the TT. I just purchased the Ouidad detangling comb and it works wonderfully for detangling but doesn't smooth my strands so I'm still left with having to use a smaller comb to smooth the strands. ETA: I'm not actively using the TT because the negative reviews started to concern me although I don't see any issues with my hair at the present time. Plus, there were times when I would have pieces of hair in the TT and I didn't quite like that. I will reserve the TT usage for pre-TU detangling only.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I just used my TT for the first time last night. I used it only on the front half of my head and that part was smoother and easier to manage. The back section was ok, but I feel like shed hair and tangles slip through the teeth of my wide combs. TT gets it all!

Next wash day I will try it on my whole head.