STEAM TREATMENT Challenge!!! COME ON IN!!!!

I'm not sure when I can get pics up...working on it.
I think this is catching on. SJ you've started a revolution.:grin:

1. Name - Samanthajones67
  2. Natural or relaxed? - natural 3c/4a I think
  3. Bi-Weekly or monthly??? - bi -wwekly
  4. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! :orders:
Here is my first pic - 4 days after steam....

http://public.fotki.com/samanthajon...march-2008---coconu/samshairendofmarch16.html

5. Talk to us about how your hair feels in b/t - Fabulously soft

You may steam with DC's - Hot oils, etc... Let us know! - With DC only - so far

6. Next Treatment - April 11, 2008

Hi Samantha, is it too late for me to get in where I fit in? You see, I was a lurker but I did my homework! I just got on board LHCF and got a steamer about 2 days ago. Just tell me and I am on it girl! Let's get it done.:gorgeous:

Welcome little mama!!!!!

Ok, did steam treatment today and here are the details:

1. Filled water tank with purified water. I have a table-top steamer that I purchased from ebay for about $79-this is my first use.

2. Applied Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator (used this for the first time) on dry hair using a generous amount to cover ends.

3. Sat under steamer for 45 mins while watching "There Will Be Blood"...strange movie! I did not use a shower cap or anything.

4. Massaged hair and noticed hair was "extra curly". New growth felt soft and babyfied, like it was just born....however, existing hair did not feel any different. It was soft but I am able to achieve the same type of softness after co-washing.

5. Sprayed on leave in conditioner-Elasta QP H20 I think it is called. Applied Doo-Gro Growth oil as a sealant along with coconut oil.

6. Massaged all products into hair shaft and tied up hair in a satin wrap.

7. After so long, removed the wrap...out of curiousity and found that my hair looked 2 or 3 shades darker and appeared to have a wool like softness to it. Touched the hair and found that it was soft but again, no softer than after co-washing.

My conclusions: I am really pleased with the dark appearance of my hair, my hair is generally dark brown but it looked like newborn black! I think that I probably need more treatments to see a difference as this was my first one. My hair is chronically dry I think I have 4B but I don't really know for sure. I will keep you all posted and let me know if you have any suggestions on how I can make my future steam treatments more effective!

OMG!!! This steam stuff is da 'ish!!!!!!!

I tried the turbie, plastic cap, turbie, plastic cap method and wooooow.....it really worked!!! STEAM!!! My hair felt incredibly soft, full of volume, and the shine was waaaay cool. I posted a pic...sorry so small.

I am NOT purchasing a steamer; this much cheaper method works great!!!!

I am officially a "bootleg" steamer....lol!!!!

Thanks SamanthaJ!!

Attachments

• steam.jpg
    steam.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 47
OMG!!! This steam stuff is da 'ish!!!!!!!

I tried the turbie, plastic cap, turbie, plastic cap method and wooooow.....it really worked!!! STEAM!!! My hair felt incredibly soft, full of volume, and the shine was waaaay cool. I posted a pic...sorry so small.

I am NOT purchasing a steamer; this much cheaper method works great!!!!

I am officially a "bootleg" steamer....lol!!!!

Thanks SamanthaJ!!

You Go Girl!!!!!

Saving Steam heads......!
I am under my treat right now.
Can't wait to see my hair.
:yawn:

I'm all over this challenge, I hope you don't mind a new ADDITION.

My first treatment will take place May 1st and I will come and update
eveyone on my initial treat. So hoping this will add in thickening up my
strands and helping to retain length.

oooh this coincides a lot with my dc challenge SJ. I will incorporate this and commit to once per month to avoid over-moisturizing as I am relaxed.

Okay, I steamed today, I steam weekly, at least until I find something that I am able to seal the moisture in my hair with. This time I did it for an hour because I had done a henna treatment this past Sunday. I used Kenra MC instead of Aubrey Organics, and the Kenra works better. Finally found my HG conditioner.

I love steaming! My hair gets more moisture than DC on dry hair, easier to detangle, and a lot less knots.

The results!!!!!

Oh so soft hair. In fact, I have never really let my hair dry without running to the leave -in...........Well - once I took down one twist - WHOA!!! natural bling and zero tangles.... nice waves and no scary wild hair!

Ok, can I do this w/o the wet towel (just the plastic cap)? Something about the turbie raises all the cuticles on my hair and leaves it feeling really rough! It seems like a great treatment, but I don't like the turbie directly on my hair. :wallbash:

Maybe if I did the bag on sopping wet hair, then wrapped the towel on top, then another bag??? :perplexed

Ok, can I do this w/o the wet towel (just the plastic cap)? Something about the turbie raises all the cuticles on my hair and leaves it feeling really rough! It seems like a great treatment, but I don't like the turbie directly on my hair. :wallbash:

Maybe if I did the bag on sopping wet hair, then wrapped the towel on top, then another bag??? :perplexed

Don't know honey bun.... Sorry - Hey - Try it! YOu could also try the CurlyGirl towel - or an old T-shirt!

Don't know honey bun.... Sorry - Hey - Try it! YOu could also try the CurlyGirl towel - or an old T-shirt!

Hey SJ, I'm currently participating in the DC challenge, but I also would like to partake in this challenge as well. I just have a few questions:

What are the comparisons and contrasts between a DC and a Steam Treatment/ or is it the same thing?

and

Can I do a steam treatment after DCing or should these two be done on completely different wash days?

Hey SJ, I'm currently participating in the DC challenge, but I also would like to partake in this challenge as well. I just have a few questions:

What are the comparisons and contrasts between a DC and a Steam Treatment/ or is it the same thing?

and

Can I do a steam treatment after DCing or should these two be done on completely different wash days?

I guess it would be in conjuction with your DC challenge - done the same day....... and read the info on steam in first couple pages....To be sure not to over do it. You will fall in love with your hair with steam!:kiss:

Take care and Good luck!
sj:yep:

is it too late to join? i think i will order the minute curl steam cap anyways. Since I already have a steam flat iron i will be a steaming fool lol

If it's not to late I'd like to join. Like a few others that have joined this challenge I too am also taking part in the DC challenge so this will go hand-n-hand with it hat

I've done the homegrown treatment 3 times since the technique was first posted by SJ, and I admit I've been reaping some really good benefits from it. Lately my hair has been having a mind of it's own, and it due largely to the pjism. But after what I went through tonight I'm sticking to the reg that works for me, with KeraCare

I wanted to join when I first saw the challenge posted, but I've been looking for a larger size heating cap but can't seem to find one at any of the BSS near me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on one that I can look for. This is the one I have

cap.jpg

As far as my spec go

I'm relaxed, and will plan on doing the treatments monthly. I'll monitor how it goes and may decide to up it to bi weekly.

I'm in.

This will go along with the DC challenge I'm also partaking in.

1. I have a Pibbs 514 for the meantime as my steamer.
  2. seraphim712
  3. Natural
  4. Bi-Weekly
  5. Will have pics on Friday
  6. Will let you know the results on Friday
  7. I will be using my coconut oil/ tea tree oil/ rosemary EO mix

4b/a relaxed
Will start with bi-weekly, then possibly monthly
Not sure what products yet, but just ordered my steamer!!
Will update when steamer arrives and treatment is done.

1. Name - 4mia
  2. Natural or relaxed? - relaxed/ have no idea what hair type
  4. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! will update with fotki on a regular basis
  5. tools- ordered minute curl steam cap in meaning will use the plastic cap and turban method
  6. first tx- will be not sure friday??
can anyone tell me how soon after a relaxer can you steam????
i relaxed monday and plan to wash friday

1. Name - 4mia
  2. Natural or relaxed? - relaxed/ have no idea what hair type
  4. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! will update with fotki on a regular basis
  5. tools- ordered minute curl steam cap in meaning will use the plastic cap and turban method
  6. first tx- will be not sure friday??
can anyone tell me how soon after a relaxer can you steam????
i relaxed monday and plan to wash friday

I have no Idea. I don't relax. But - I bet - it couldn't HURT!!!!

1. Name - sweetpea99
  2. Natural or relaxed? - natural 4a
  3. Bi-Weekly or monthly??? - monthly
  4. CHECKING in With PICS!!!!! will post
  5. tools- Steamer/MOP Extreme Moisture with plastic cap
  6. first tx- softer and stayed moisturized longer

1. Name - AquariusDaisy
2. Natural or relaxed? - Natural 4b @ the crown/ 3c @ the rear
3. Bi-Weekly or monthly??? - Bi -weekly
4. CHECKING IN WITH PICTURES!!! - Yes monthly
5. Talk to us about how your hair feels in b/t - Really soft after first S.T.
6. Next Treatment - May 10

Click the link below for a before picture of my hair taken May 1st right before my first S.T., my next check-in and photo is scheduled for posting on May 10.

Before Initial S.T.

HAPPY STEAMING LADIES!!!

SJ thankkkkkkkkk you!

i just steamed for the first time and i when rinsing the condish out it was almost better than sex lol.
i had my shower comb to detangle but i didnt need it
this is definetly a keeper.

I used southertease's method, until my steam cap comes in, since i didnt want to buy another turban, but i may buy another one anyways.

i first cowashed with denvers ayur mix, rinsed and applied rosmary and peppermint condish mixed with some oil, i just reheated the towel and reapplied when it felt cooled. i did this 3x, so i steamed about 30min.

i love it

im airdrying now and cleaning ill post a pic later

i wonder if i can do this with a protein condish???

and i wonder if you can do this on dry hair when you just want a boost, like a saran wrap???/

Back