Spring/Summer '09 Cowashing Challenge

Co washing is awesome! I'm not in the challenge, but I co wash daily. I also think that is why my hair is growing so well. My hair just loves water.:yep:

Co washing is awesome! I'm not in the challenge, but I co wash daily. I also think that is why my hair is growing so well. My hair just loves water.:yep:

I agree, my hair loves water too. I wish I could co-wash daily but my hair takes too long to dry. My NG is so much stronger now since I gave up shampoo and added co-washing to my hair care regimen. LHCF has helped me to fall in love with my hair.

I have a quick question. I have hard water and I was wondering whether it was safe for me to cowash several times a week?

I have a quick question. I have hard water and I was wondering whether it was safe for me to cowash several times a week?

do a search on water filters...or filters you can clamp onto your shower head. Some people also use gallons of distilled water if they don't trust their own

i dc'ed with Banana Brulee' last night. i was too lazy to rinse it out so its still in my hair.

when i rinse it out i will use a little Millcreek Henna conditioner

i conditioned today with a mix of vo5 strawberries and cream, vo5 vanilla mint tea and ao white camellia.

covered it up with plastic while i showered
then rinsed

I cowashed with AOHSR last night. I see what the hype is about. The smell isn't all that and it's so thick I got a headache getting it out of the bottle but it is a BIG FAT HIT for me. I had just done a deep conditioning with a protein concoction. My hair felt strong but a little dry. I put the AOHSR and instantly my hair felt moist, silky, and it had slip. It's a keeper.

Thanks so much for this review. I just got mine, and I hope to have similar results. I'm going to DC with this tomorrow. Thanks again!

Ok so I took out my weave yesterday and washed with CON the old green lable and conditioned with silicon mix. Im gonna up my cowashes to 2-3 times a week. That weave really dried my hair out and it came out in clumps last night :wallbash:! Oh well its a lesson learned

I have hard water and haven't had any problems cowashing several times a week. Most often I do my final rinse w/distilled water, but if you use a chelating shampoo every once in a while, it will remove the mineral deposits from your hair. I prefer to chelate instead clarify simply because chelating works down to the cortex to remove build up while clarifiers only work over the surface of the hair strand. HTH!

Yesterday, was deep condition day. I shampooed with Designer Touch moisterizing shampoo. deep con with ORS replenshing. Giovanni Direct leave in and coconut butter with Shikaki oil and bunned.

Friday night I did my first co-wash with the Herbal Essences Hydralicious and another conditioner. I liked it....annnnd I made my first bun :D

Last edited:
Okay, so all I do is mostly co-wash. Can I join this challenge please? I'm addicted to challenges, but that's a good thing because they get me committing to doing good by my hair. What are the rules/requirements? Looked at the first post but no details as such.....

Okay, so all I do is mostly co-wash. Can I join this challenge please? I'm addicted to challenges, but that's a good thing because they get me committing to doing good by my hair. What are the rules/requirements? Looked at the first post but no details as such.....
There aren't a bunch of rules, that's why there isn't much in the first post :yep:. Simply cowash for 6 months consistently, however many times per week you deem appropriate for your hair and schedule and check in with what you used and how your hair responded. That's it!

Co-washed braids after my morning run with Trader Joe's NS - Did Elucence leave-in, sealed with Cocasta oil - used MT scalp treatment

forgot to say that i really liked this weeks condition.

like i said, i used vo5 strawberries & cream, vo5 vanilla mint tea and aubrey organics white camellia. went on smooth, rinsed out great...my hair felt really good.

i put some lustrasilk shea&mango on as a leave in, some avocado butter
and then i flexirodded my twists

Yesterday I co-washed with conditioner mixed with shikakai, aritha and amla powders along with oil. I used it after rinsing out a hendigo mix and before a moisturizing DC. Final rinsed with an ACV and tea mixture. Detangled with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship in my hair. Braided my hair to air dry. This morning it was still damp. I didn't like the way my edges felt but the rest of my hair was still soft. Wet my hands and smoothed the water onto my edges then applied Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream to edges and ends. Styled hair in a protective bun. Hair is now dry and soft. So far the Cetaphil beats the Herbal Essence. I have a lot of different conditioners which I plan on using and not buying any more. Trying to narrow down to staples.

Added salt to my Keracare Humecto and co-washed with that. It got super watery after I added the salt....freaky so the only thing I can do with it now is co-wash with it:yep:.

I have no clue what I am cowashing with because I put a bunch of cheapie conditioners in my gallon size container that has a large pump on it.

But I am cowashing! :) The days that I don't, I just place my head under the shower head real quick to get it moist.

For this challenge, my first co-wash will be tomorrow (Sunday). It's still cold outside so I plan to co-wash only 2x's per week (Wednesday/Sunday). As the weather warms, I will increase the co-washing as appropriate. Currently, I use LongHairDontCare's idea of mixing Ayurvedic herbs with a conditioner to co-wash. I finish each co-wash with an ACV rinse then apply Cetaphil Moisturizing Skin cream as my leave-in.

Which powders are you mixing with your condish?!?!?

Back