Setting to Success 2013

I rollerset last night. My siggy is what my hair looked like after I brushed the curls out and was about to wrap.

Since I set my hair on the new mesh rollers last week I decided to use magnetic rollers this week for comparison.

While I do get 20 min less time under the drier with the mesh rollers I still think I get a smoother set with magnetic. Also - a couple days after my set last week my hair seemed a little "rougher".

I will still use the mesh when I'm short on time, but for normal wash days I'll use magnetic.:yep:

This is a beautiful set! Di you comb them out?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Is anyone adding moisturizer to wet hair before setting? Any difference in moisture levels from using moisturizer on wet hair before u roll vs waiting til after the set dries? I usually use water and leave ins only but I would like to see how it comes out different adding a little bit of moisturizer before I roll.

Updating:
The first pic was my length check in Oct:
2nd & 3rd are curlformers from this morning. I used the extra wide and long to get more of rollerset look as oppose to the extra long and wide which gives me more of shirley temple look. I will take pics of the sides & back next time.

Attachments

• ps challenge-oct2.jpg
    ps challenge-oct2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 87
  • curlformers.JPG
    curlformers.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 103
I just drove myself crazy trying to rollerset my hair :-(. How do you ladies do it?? It's so frustrating, ugh! And I bet it'll turn out crappy and I'll have to flat iron it anyway.

Updating:
The first pic was my length check in Oct:
2nd & 3rd are curlformers from this morning. I used the extra wide and long to get more of rollerset look as oppose to the extra long and wide which gives me more of shirley temple look. I will take pics of the sides & back next time.

So did you use the fat ones? I have been curious about them but wouldn't find reviewsplease tell me.more.

@Blairx0 I used the extra wide ones (2 packs). I really like them! My hair took about 45 minutes to dry under my hooded dryer.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/16364222/24-extra-wide-21-curlformers-leverag-spiral?keywords=Curlformers

This time I used flaxseed gel and shea butter. But the first time I used KCCC it didn't last as long. The second time I used ecostyler gel (clear one). I got the best hold and a sleeker look with that one.

eta: I also have these but I only used them on my daughters hair and because they take a longer time to dry I won't use them often.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
You ladies roller sets look so pretty with coordinating roller colors! Mine look like I borrowed a few from Salvation Army and bought the others!! LOL. My hair feels so much better rollersetting. I'm must do it more often. Here is a sideways set. Love my hair to one side for some reason.

ForumRunner_20121208_131506.jpg

ForumRunner_20121208_131528.jpg

For some reason I threw in some bigger rollers and a few curls are just too loose. Will do same size tonight.

Last edited:
This pic shows the curls better.

KaramelDiva1978 your curls came out really pretty! I did a rollerset yesterday but had to leave the house an hour afterwards to pick up DD from school. I came home and rolled with the satin rollers and they came out beautifully!! Now that I know I can rollerset I'm joining this challenge. I'll be buying the Pibbs 514 Kwik Dry next week because I can't see sitting under a dryer for 1.5 hours or more as my hair gets longer.

@Blairx0 I used the extra wide ones (2 packs). I really like them! My hair took about 45 minutes to dry under my hooded dryer.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/16364222/24-extra-wide-21-curlformers-leverag-spiral?keywords=Curlformers

This time I used flaxseed gel and shea butter. But the first time I used KCCC it didn't last as long. The second time I used ecostyler gel (clear one). I got the best hold and a sleeker look with that one.

eta: I also have these but I only used them on my daughters hair and because they take a longer time to dry I won't use them often.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the snail type rollers toy use on your daughter. What type of curls do the give? I get what youre saying about dry time, but maybe my dryer could help with that.

I have the extra long extra wide curlformers, but the curl is too tight.for me at my length. I wonder if the extra wide ones will be a little.looser

Current hair length: SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices: I set my hair on flexirods after it has airdried so I don't have to sit under the dryer. The drawback is that my curls don't last as long, so I'm going to do more wet sets. I usually wear my curls for a couple days then protective style for the rest of the week.

Current Setting products: It varies, but right now I'm liking Dark n Lovely Moisture Leave-in and Kerapro Elixir.

One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I'm just hoping to retain more length by keeping my hair smooth.

How long do you plan to set? I plan to set weekly throughout the entire year.

Here are pics of last week's set.

ForumRunner_20121208_152939.jpg

ForumRunner_20121208_153026.jpg

Current hair length: SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices: I set my hair on flexirods after it has airdried so I don't have to sit under the dryer. The drawback is that my curls don't last as long, so I'm going to do more wet sets. I usually wear my curls for a couple days then protective style for the rest of the week.

Current Setting products: It varies, but right now I'm liking Dark n Lovely Moisture Leave-in and Kerapro Elixir.

One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I'm just hoping to retain more length by keeping my hair smooth.

How long do you plan to set? I plan to set weekly throughout the entire year.

Here are pics of last week's set.

Love it Toya! I remember when you were natural! Pretty!

KaramelDiva1978 your curls came out really pretty! I did a rollerset yesterday but had to leave the house an hour afterwards to pick up DD from school. I came home and rolled with the satin rollers and they came out beautifully!! Now that I know I can rollerset I'm joining this challenge. I'll be buying the Pibbs 514 Kwik Dry next week because I can't see sitting under a dryer for 1.5 hours or more as my hair gets longer.

Thank you girlie! I wanna see how your set came out! And satin rollers? Where have I been I must check them out. I air dry mostly. I'm only under the bonnet dryer to condition.

My weekly rollerset regi:

Chelate when needed (2x a month)
Poo or Co-wash (it depends on my hair)
Aphogee 2Min every other week
DC Always!
Leave-in
Thermal Spray
Roll/Dryer

On my takedown, I usually re-pin with bobby pins until it completely cools. Apply a very tiny amount of a light serum or a light butter to each section when I take it down. Then, if necessary, flat iron the roots on extremely low. I'll wear it like that that day, then wrap it for the rest of the duration. I love straight styles and rollersetting helps me achieve them without direct heat.

Y'all are motivating me to set. Just brought some more clips and some motions setting foam...bout to wash my hair right now :)

My results...

image-2853659134.jpg

That Curly Kinks Polished is a delicious ceramide oil blend. Came free with my BF order. Not sure if it sells on its own. But if it doesn't that Curlycue Renew DC and Satin Roots Leave-in that I used before setting will get me a few of these oil sprays because I'm definitely going to reorder when needed.

Ok ladies so I just completed my set. Disclaimer....this is the very first set I've done on my own....needless to say I have a lot to learn. (you will notice wine in one of the pics cause this was super stressful and my arms hurt lol) I took pictures so that I can learn from my mistakes. Can't wait to see what the finished product look like.

Attachments

• image-1526199111.jpg
    image-1526199111.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2446788640.jpg
    image-2446788640.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2658723593.jpg
    image-2658723593.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2326367774.jpg
    image-2326367774.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 100
Couple things I learned...
Need to make sections smaller
Need to buy more clips
Need more practice
This setting lotion is serious business

Here are the results...I brushed it out and wrapped it up....practice, practice, practice.

Attachments

• image-3487882111.jpg
    image-3487882111.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1389766882.jpg
    image-1389766882.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2521890943.jpg
    image-2521890943.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Awe you lafies are looking good! I still have to get the right things to set with *sigh* maybe in a couple of weeks I will get the stuff and give it a go.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the snail type rollers toy use on your daughter. What type of curls do the give? I get what youre saying about dry time, but maybe my dryer could help with that.

I have the extra long extra wide curlformers, but the curl is too tight.for me at my length. I wonder if the extra wide ones will be a little.looser

My daughter didn't feel like sitting under the dryer until they dried so the curls were still damp with the snail type rollers (thanks Blairx0 for letting me know the name of those lol).

The extra wide are wide similar to rollerset imo. I will take pics next time as soon as I take them out...hopefully soon.

Nice rollersets ladies! I am so afraid to try rollers with my natural hair...I don't want it to turn out looking like a poodle! Lol maybe one day I will try the ponytail rollerset.

KaramelDiva1978 this is my two day old set on the satin rollers! I just re-roll every night. I love my curls. No more flat hair all the time, YAY!!

Some of the curls are tighter than others. I had them in overnight but if you want them looser then you can just leave them in for a few hours before you leave the house. That's what I did for my Friday night outing.

I love it!! Satin rollers sound way more comfortable than my magnetic. So here is a Tamera inspired 'do from the show for her shower. I loved the front and though they didn't show the back this how I envisioned it. I rolled my hair all over and used a big goody headband and my fingers.

ForumRunner_20121209_172839.jpg

ForumRunner_20121209_172852.jpg

ForumRunner_20121209_172906.jpg

Going to watch that episode again to see if I came close. Love Tamera's hairstyles on that show.

I love it!! Satin rollers sound way more comfortable than my magnetic. So here is a Tamera inspired 'do from the show for her shower. I loved the front and though they didn't show the back this how I envisioned it. I rolled my hair all over and used a big goody headband and my fingers.

Going to watch that episode again to see if I came close. Love Tamera's hairstyles on that show.

Oh, that's too cute! Great for a holiday gathering!!

Back