Setting to Success 2013

Blairx0 said:
Did you like your results? I am waiting until my new flat iron gets here Saturday to set, so I can flat iron the roots! Maybe I will try some bantu knots

Love this set! Definition and movement. Really love Miss Jessie's Pillowsoft Curls too! Would recommend to everyone. Plus they are having their BOGO sale right now :)

Been smelling like fabric softener all day!

Blairx0 that was an awesome video! Now can I can do that??? Idk lol but I'm willing to try. I always fudge up the placement of the rollers...

I want to get better with flexi rods and get down on this. I have to leave weekly direct heat alone, it's killing any progress that I make (I hate admitting that LOL). Anywho:

Current hair length: SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

Current Setting method and styling choices: Flexi rods, curlformers, regular rollersets

Current Setting products: Still experimenting but on hand I have Lacio Lacio as a creamy leave in and some random serums lol - Sabino, Aveda etc

One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Just retention. I've been growing my hair too damn long to just be SL. And frequent blowdrying has caused so much damage to my hair. I know better.

How long do you plan to set? To get my hair back on track I'll prolly do it 3 out of 4 weeks each month, with one week a regular rollerset and flat iron the roots.

I got a big *** Pibbs514 in my closet and have been too lazy to use it smh.... let me get myself together lol.

tapioca_pudding said:
I want to get better with flexi rods and get down on this. I have to leave weekly direct heat alone, it's killing any progress that I make (I hate admitting that LOL). Anywho:

Current hair length: SL

Current Setting method and styling choices: Flexi rods, curlformers, regular rollersets

Current Setting products: Still experimenting but on hand I have Lacio Lacio as a creamy leave in and some random serums lol - Sabino, Aveda etc

One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Just retention. I've been growing my hair too damn long to just be SL. And frequent blowdrying has caused so much damage to my hair. I know better.

How long do you plan to set? To get my hair back on track I'll prolly do it 3 out of 4 weeks each month, with one week a regular rollerset and flat iron the roots.

I got a big *** Pibbs514 in my closet and have been too lazy to use it smh.... let me get myself together lol.

I had to admit the same thing love :)

Lol at that last part. I'm in a bun awaiting my new flat iron as if I
1 needed another flat iron
2 need to be flat ironing my hair at all ....I need to get myself together.

Blairx0 that was an awesome video! Now can I can do that??? Idk lol but I'm willing to try. I always fudge up the placement of the rollers...

I know. I mess up placement too. I need to slow down and make clearer parts and tie up my lose hair because my pattern,if you can call.it that, is all over the place when I rush

I'm in! I'll post stats soon.

Eta: to add stats

Current hair length: layers...longest layer MBLish
Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers...various stretched styles
Current Setting products: Not sure yet. I'm still playing around with different combos. So far ecostyler and oils give me the best hold.
One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Better retention and longer healthier hair especially my ends.
How long do you plan to set?: For at least 6 months but if all goes well I will do the whole year.
Post a beginning picture: Will post at the end of Dec

Just updated my original post!

So I set my hair on a different type of mesh rollers this week.

Not happy with the results but I wanted to share why.. deep sigh... So I tried 2 things new
1) The rollers (not the hard red mesh rollers, but the plastic mesh - firmer than those mesh bouffant rollers)
2) I used end papers for the first time in AGES

I'm mad at both things!

The end papers had pieces of hair in them when I took them off!! _ I don't mean 1 or 2 had hair - I mean like 20 of them had hair in it! What the what is that about??? So HEEECCKKK NAW to using them again :angry2:

The rollers had straight up frizzy pieces of hair at the end (as in different textures on the same piece of hair that was on the same roller. Once again - Heck NAW. These rollers AND the end papers went into a plastic bag and are now sitting in the back corner of the linen closet. :nono:

Here is a pic - I was so mad about the end paper thing when I took them down I forgot to take a pic of it.

I will be setting again this weekend.

I gave up on the magnetic rollers, couldn't get them taught enough in my tightly coiled hair. Are there in 4's using flexi rods, and if so how long is it taking them to dry?

I gave up on the magnetic rollers, couldn't get them taught enough in my tightly coiled hair. Are there in 4's using flexi rods, and if so how long is it taking them to dry?

I dry under my Gold N Hot bonnet dryer and it takes 3 hours. I just ordered the LCL dryer, so I'm hoping it will drastically reduce my drying time.

I dry under my Gold N Hot bonnet dryer and it takes 3 hours. I just ordered the LCL dryer, so I'm hoping it will drastically reduce my drying time.

Wow, 3 hours...but you have a lot of hair! :spinning:

I can't get flexi rods to stay in my hair for NOTHIN! My rod sets always come out a hotmess.com

I always used magnetic rollers when I was relaxed, I just have not got the technique down yet on my natural hair yet. I need to do something to stretch this stuff out...:look:

Had the same issue using rollers with the snap covers has made all the difference. I posted about it in the thread

GrowAHead

Sorry end papers did you dirty. They are essential for me. Maybe the papers combined with the rollers was just the wrong combo. Also I had a very sets go wrong because there was build up in the paper and my ends couldn't take be baked in product and rebelled

GrowAHead

Sorry end papers did you dirty. They are essential for me. Maybe the papers combined with the rollers was just the wrong combo. Also I had a very sets go wrong because there was build up in the paper and my ends couldn't take be baked in product and rebelled

IDK.. they were new end papers. Lesson learned though - K.I.S.S. is best for me! I got a date with my magnetics on Saturday! :infatuated:

All rolled up. I tried something new: a freestyle set. I didn't mohawk part. I kept my hair in the same sections I washed in and rolled from the back up. I do think it was easier. I will post pics of te results

Hey ladies happy Saturday! I'm currently under the dryer with my first assisted set (co worker is helping me since I'm so remedial with hair). Washed with kera care detailing shampo then conditioned with ion conditioner with keratin. Then sprayed a little it's a ten and sarin tame. Then started the set Mohawk style with Sally's proclaim setting lotion mixed with water. 22 purple and red magnetic rollers. I will take a pic of the results when I'm done. Please note all these products are new to me and have never been used on my head (I'm at her house). Should be exciting :)

Attachments

• image-572392374.jpg
    image-572392374.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 96
I need a new dryer, there is nothing wrong with my golden hot per se, but it seems to be too small... It doesn't really get to back-last row of curlers, and heat be to close to top of head

Sent from my Galaxy

Be careful witht hat. Another member reported breakage in her crown because of the heat blowing on one spot so directly while she waited for other areas to dry

Be careful witht hat. Another member reported breakage in her crown because of the heat blowing on one spot so directly while she waited for other areas to dry
Another reason why may get another dryer, because when the middle gets too hot, I put on cool, actually I switch settings during dry process

Sent from my Galaxy

Here are the pics from my first set. I like it. It's soft and flows so I know use I sleep with it wrapped it will be awesome tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-2598702688.jpg
    image-2598702688.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 138
  • image-687965886.jpg
    image-687965886.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3223150019.jpg
    image-3223150019.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 120
Currently under the dryer with my magnetics. Mohawk style as usual. New leave-in products.

Did my usual Lacio Lacio leave-in and the QP Silk Thermal leave-in... Added a quarter size amount of MJ Pillowsoft. I love the Pillowsoft because its like a creamy setting lotion for rollersets. I used it last week with my set and my rollerset curls were simply gorgeous. I'll post results after the takedown.

Use Pillowsoft very sparingly. Just a dime or quarter size depending on the length of your hair.

Under the dryer now with Flexi rods, I used the following products:

Joico k-PAC reconstructor spray
Keracare leave-in for natural hair
Keracare foam wrap
Keracare essential oils

This is my first set on natural hair, fingers crossed!

Back