Setting to Success 2013

Blairx0

ForumRunner_20121121_225501.jpg

ForumRunner_20121121_225534.jpg

So I have a random straight piece because I took it down to check if it was dry and then rolled it back in the wrong direction. Sigh. Hopefully I can work with it tomorrow morning!

Babygrowth

I will be lurking this thread. My hair was growing good back when I used to go to the salon every week and get roller sets. My hair was grazing shoulder length (the longest it has ever been) before I cut it off and then decided to transition which didn't work for me. When I make SL next year I might come back and join.

Kimbosheart

I can join this one.

Grazing BSL my goal is WL
natural- straightened 99% of the time
I will roller set all hear but I may experiment with a weave in the spring, in which case my hair should be completely braided up under the weave.
Currently I'm in love with curlformers. I want to try the extra wide and long but I'm concerned I will grow out of them too fast.
My goal is retention and thickness. My hair is dense but I feel like when I was younger it was dense and each strand was thick.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Blairx0

I can join this one.

Grazing BSL my goal is WL
natural- straightened 99% of the time
I will roller set all hear but I may experiment with a weave in the spring, in which case my hair should be completely braided up under the weave.
Currently I'm in love with curlformers. I want to try the extra wide and long but I'm concerned I will grow out of them too fast.
My goal is retention and thickness. My hair is dense but I feel like when I was younger it was dense and each strand was thick.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Which curl.former are you using now;

DominicanBrazilian82

Currently under my Mom's vintage Marquis by Roux hair dryer. This thing has been ticking forever! I'd take this over a tabletop Golden Hot any day. My Pibbs dryer should be here soon (shipping got pushed back to Monday). My LCL is at home and I'm visiting for the holidays :)

Right now I'm setting with magnetic rollers (black and grey). Took me about ten minutes to set it. About an hour under the dryer. My DC was a good one so I know this is going to be a fab rollerset.

Happy Thanksgiving Ladies!

DominicanBrazilian82

Blairx0

I think rollersetting is thee best way to achieve straight styles without using direct heat. If necessary, flat ironing or blowing out your roots to achieve a sleeker finish. Anywho...

[*]Current hair length

- SL

[*]Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd

Transitioning Texlaxer - most of my hair is bone straight relaxed! But since using Linange relaxer these last few times, my hair has been texlaxed. Loving this transition.

[*]Current Setting method and styling choices

Flexi sets, rollersets and knot-outs :)

[*]Current Setting products

Always DC first (with heat or steam), leave-in (creamy and water-based spray), Elasta QP Silk.

[*]One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve

HEALTH! I have recently restored the health to my hair after months of heat and protein damage. My hair has recently come back to life and I want to maintain this health and silkiness by eliminating direct heat. Roller-setting will help me to achieve this.

[*]How long do you plan to set?

Forever! But once or twice a week (depending on my mood).

[*]Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• image-2876026723.jpg
    image-2876026723.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 146
  • image-2002170573.jpg
    image-2002170573.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I may try a rollerset saturday for first time! I still dk what products I am supposed to use so any help is greatly appreciated. And yall betta not laugh at my set either lol.

Altruisticoam

HairPleezeGrow said:
What did you use (products and what kind of rollers) and details of your process please!

Hey sorry I don't have too many details because this was done in the salon. My stylist used gray and purple magnetic rollers. She put so many different conditioners In my hair that I couldnt keep up lol. I know she used setting lotion but I can't remember which kind :-(. I'll be doing all my other sets spin the future I'll have more info :)

DominicanBrazilian82

DominicanBrazilian82 said:
Currently under my Mom's vintage Marquis by Roux hair dryer. This thing has been ticking forever! I'd take this over a tabletop Golden Hot any day. My Pibbs dryer should be here soon (shipping got pushed back to Monday). My LCL is at home and I'm visiting for the holidays :)

Right now I'm setting with magnetic rollers (black and grey). Took me about ten minutes to set it. About an hour under the dryer. My DC was a good one so I know this is going to be a fab rollerset.

Happy Thanksgiving Ladies!

ETA: My fabulous, silky long lasting curls from my rollerset earlier this morning, that I plan to wrap for a few days and get that body-full wrap!

image-2235959605.jpg

DominicanBrazilian82

HairPleezeGrow said:
What did you use (products and what kind of rollers) and details of your process please!

HairPleezeGrow I would recommend a great moisture-rich DC. Follow that with a leave-in spray first, then a creamy one atop the spray and last a thermal spray. I use Soft & Beautiful Leave-in (water-based), Lacio Lacio Leave-in (cream) and Elasta QP Silk spray (thermal).

I roll Mohawk style and usually wrap it after wearing it curly for a day. My hair is super silky and bouncy. I posted a pic right about this post.

FoxxyLocs

Current hair length: WL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Nautral

Current Setting method and styling choices: Flexi rods; I also do bantu knots for curly sets with no heat

Current Setting products: Darcy's curl styling cream, Elasta QP wrap foam, Sabino MB

One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: smoother sets

How long do you plan to set?: I don't set on a regular schedule. Maybe once a month.

I'm getting better, but I still need practice. I need to perfect my product combo and I need to get a better dryer.

Last edited:

Angelinhell

I haven't started rolling yet:look:, I'm still trying to get flatironing out of my system:lol:. I promise I'll be over it by the end of the year:grin:. Still looking for a good setting lotion or foam.

Babygrowth

Hey, do you ladies have any favorite youtube videos on how to rollerset that you can share with me? I have a head dryer just sitting on the floor collecting dust and I do want to use it eventually but I can't rollerset to save my own life! If I start doing my research now I will be prepared when I'm ready to join.

DominicanBrazilian82

Babygrowth said:
Mitre What is the silk wrap method?

Silk Wrap is when after taking down your rollers, you wrap you hair tightly and smoothly and then wrap with Saran Wrap and sit under the dryer. This method smooths your hair and gives you a sleeker wrap look with your rollerset.

Altruisticoam

I'm out of town for Thanksgiving so I stopped by a BSS and got some rollers and clips. Yay! Now all I need is some setting lotion....any recommendations?

Blairx0

I am using a foam. I had success with Jane carter wrap and roll, but I thought after GrowAHead mentioned trying other brands, I got the itch for something different so I picked up some nubian heritage. Plan on trying it next week

ForumRunner_20121124_085658.jpg

Last edited:

KaramelDiva1978

:hiya: Hi Everyone!

So I didn't think I would be coming in here as a regular, but after my trim last night, my stylist thought differently. When I relaxed my hair in June after being natural for 2 years and "fell in love" with my hair length and health all over again. I immediately went into all the styles I loved and had missed, ROLLERSETTING was number #1 and burned myself out with it for over 3 months.

Fast forward two months and I've been French braiding and bunning for styling because I work out so heavily. Last night, my stylist trimmed my ends after I had taken my hair down from a braid out and told me that allowing my hair to dry in braided styles can lead to breakage because of the tendency to dry out and get rough. I said well I'm going to roller set on tomorrow, he says yes do more roller sets because the hair does much better staying smooth. So here I am! :lol: I will be roller setting on Saturdays or Sundays after my co-wash or shampoo sessions, then roller setting the top and pony tail later in the week or buns and French braids.

For challengers wanting to join, after thanking this post answer the following questions:
Current hair length -- APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd --Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices--Mohawk style rollerset and usually wearing my hair down or an updo
Current Setting products-- Wen and coconut oil for moisture and sealing and Olive oil Lottabody and magnetic rollers
One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve--hoping to retain all 6 inches and achieve MBL by year end
How long do you plan to set? most of 2013 since I'm doing it weekly
Post a beginning picture
**I think I did one recently, but I will be back to post another one from my phone**

Last edited:

Blairx0

Want to rollerset this week, but I feel like I need to seriously DC. This cold weather is sucking the mositure out of my hair.

My thanksgiving rollerset was a fail because i didn't let my hair fully dry. I wore a bun instead and though I'm not mad I don't plan on letting that happen again.

Blairx0

Hey, do you ladies have any favorite youtube videos on how to rollerset that you can share with me? I have a head dryer just sitting on the floor collecting dust and I do want to use it eventually but I can't rollerset to save my own life! If I start doing my research now I will be prepared when I'm ready to join.

Hi! I'm trying to get some reference links posted for the begiingers to learns and so the regulars can refine or show off. I have started adding some in post 2, so you can check them out. I will contuine to add them throughout the challnege, so hopefully this can help you. Can't wait to see your sets!

Angelinhell

In a donut bun right now, I had another horrible rollerset, so yeah.....I officially give up on setting lotion. I will just use my two leave ins(aphogee provitamin and joico liquid reconstructor leave in) and a serum.