Rollersetting w/metal clips - Any detailed advice

DigitalRain

I've done a search on rollersetting with metal clips more than once and still need a little coaching. Can anyone give me DETAILED instructions on how to rollerset w/o using the press on clamps? I am so sick of the dents they leave. I've tried to rollerset with metal clips but the rollers were too loose or fell right out. Please help.

Tracy

Hey Dig...

I don't know how much detail I can provide (I'm bad at instructions) but the ket with the metal clips is to place them at the back end of the roller...so you section the hair off, pull the hair taut, pull the lock in the oppostie direction of the way you want to roll it, put the roller in and position the clip at the point where your scalp and the roller meet, but as far twoards the back of your head as you can (assuming you roll most of it back. If you roll some of them down - like the sides - those clips should be positioned as close to your ears as you can get them.

Where CH with her drawings when you need her?

HTH anyway...

DigitalRain

So when you insert the clamp at the base of the roller near the scalp are you also clamping the underlying hair too, meaning the hair underneath that hasn't been placed on a roller yet?

bocagirl

[ QUOTE ]
DigitalRain said:
So when you insert the clamp at the base of the roller near the scalp are you also clamping the underlying hair too, meaning the hair underneath that hasn't been placed on a roller yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what happens when I rollerset so i'm also curious as to the answer.

Tracy

I don't understand what you guys mean...sorry....

I'm bad at instructions like I said. Once you get into clarifying details of instructions, I'm no good anymore.

Honi

There is no board.
Rolling with magnetics and clips take practice let me tell ya! Have you ever been to a dominican salon? Watch how they do it. They section the hair so that it's not wider than the roller and comb the hair forward/upward. So for example if your rolling the middle row, you comb the section forward/upward then roll, then place the clip underneath the roller such that it's anchoring with your hair at the base. You should feel the clip touch your scalp in other words. This also anchors it better. If you comb the section downward, it won't anchor as well and when you roll the next section next to it or under it, it's going to slip out....dang, did that make sense?
DSD, you should have a rollerset instructional folder in your journal.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Honi said:
then place the clip underneath the roller such that it's anchoring with your hair at the base

[/ QUOTE ]
For those that are not familiar with where to place the silver clip, Honi's description is great. When my niece read this post (and she doesn't roller set at all), she knew exactly what Honi meant. Great post Honi!

DigitalRain

Sooo, is the clip anchoring with the hair that is already rolled on the roller or the hair underneath the roller that has not yet been rolled?
I hope this is making sense what I'm trying to clarify.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
DigitalRain said:
Sooo, is the clip anchoring with the hair that is already rolled on the roller or the hair underneath the roller that has not yet been rolled?
I hope this is making sense what I'm trying to clarify.

[/ QUOTE ]
The clip is anchoring the hair that is already rolled on the roller AND the hair underneath the roller (base).

Neroli

Rollersetting is definately a "LEARNED SKILL" that requires repeated practice in order to perfect. I found that I just can't get the rollers in snug with the small clips used by the dominician stylist, but once I switch to the large "duckbill" metal clips, I do an awesome job and getting the rollers snug is a piece of cake with the duckbill - I use one per roller.

Just my experience that the larger clips are easier to insert 1 to a roller rather than the small ones used by the stylist. I don't know why but the duckbills make it easier for me . . .

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
Raquel said:
Do you have a picture of the duckbills clips

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not "technologically experienced" enough to post a photo! However, any BSS, sallys, wal-mart, walgreens will have -- just ask for or look for "duckbills".

Honi

There is no board.
Thanks Allandra! I forgot about mentioning that the clip should also anchor the hair that is already rolled.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Raquel said:
Do you have a picture of the duckbills clips

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is a picture of the long ones I use from Sally's.

Leslie_C

OH, I GET IT NOW!!! I just had to go try this with a roller to see, this made a big difference. I was trying to put it at the top of the roller before...

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
Honi said:
Rolling with magnetics and clips take practice let me tell ya! Have you ever been to a dominican salon? Watch how they do it. They section the hair so that it's not wider than the roller and comb the hair forward/upward. So for example if your rolling the middle row, you comb the section forward/upward then roll, then place the clip underneath the roller such that it's anchoring with your hair at the base. You should feel the clip touch your scalp in other words. This also anchors it better. If you comb the section downward, it won't anchor as well and when you roll the next section next to it or under it, it's going to slip out....dang, did that make sense?
DSD, you should have a rollerset instructional folder in your journal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, I can't rollerset worth a flip!! Once I learn how to do it I may go there but until then, I am taking plenty of notes!lol