Relaxed/Texlaxed Support!

bestblackgirl

im 4 wks post. and I am relaxed and plan on staying that way for a very long time. I'm hoping to be a few inches closer to BSL when i relax in April 2010.

Khaiya

I'm relaxed with ORS lye, i've been relaxed about.....4-5 years, i was commenting to my SO today that thats all the time it took for me to screw my hair up! Thanks to hair forums its coming back slowly but surely.

I relax every 12-16 weeks, just did a 1.5 inch trim about a week ago so i'm the same length as my avi pic again. I'm happy though cause all my old horrid ends are gone, next year its all about growth. I'm having some excess shedding though, i cant figure out what's causing it, i guess its just that time of year for me. But my hair doesn't seem thinner to me and i have very little breakage so i guess i just have to ride it out and hope it stops soon.

deusa80

Nice thread!
I'm a 7 weeks post texlaxer...the majority of my hair is still relaxed though. I plan on texlaxing again next week... the problem is I can't really tell my new growth from the old texlaxed hair...does anyone else ever have that problem? I didn't have that problem last time..but this time it's hard to tell.

Another issue...I'm noticing my texlaxed hair is a lot drier than my relaxed hair, it doesn't seem to be retaining moisture as well as my relaxed hair. I'm going to try a lye relaxer this time...I bought the alter ego/linange lye relaxer, I've used the no-lye before and I really liked it so I'm gonna see if the lye is going to make a difference..

I really want to stick with texlaxed hair, I really like the thickness I get..my hair is so limp and thin when it's bone straight. But, sometimes I feel like I end up using a lot more heat on my texlaxed hair since it reverts so much...
I think when I texlax again I'll let it process a little longer..

I am a relaxing woman, lol. However, I am doing so four times a year (basically once per season). By doing so, I am promoting health to my hair. I do not flat-iron or blow-dry my hair, except on my salon visits (4x a year). I primarily air-dry my hair and I'm fine with this.

Currently, I am moving into my seventh week of stretching. I stretch 12 weeks each time.

charmtreese

Relaxed head checking in!!! Going on 9 weeks post. Joico K-pak and silk results has been making this relaxer cycle a breeze so far. I wish I would have found this stuff 3 yrs ago!

gymfreak336

Relaxed head checking in!!! Going on 9 weeks post. Joico K-pak and silk results has been making this relaxer cycle a breeze so far. I wish I would have found this stuff 3 yrs ago!

:yay: Go Joico.

LOVE that brand. I could donate my head to their chemist :lol:

I love the fact that their products are simple and to the point. They do what they say they will do and quickly. Don't need all day to condition. 5-10 minutes and your done.

EishBuhgeish

I really want to stick with texlaxed hair, I really like the thickness I get..my hair is so limp and thin when it's bone straight. But, sometimes I feel like I end up using a lot more heat on my texlaxed hair since it reverts so much...

Thats the same issue I'm having. My super thin strands are behaving like they're on steroids since I've been textlaxing- lovin it! Anyway, since my texlaxed hair hates airdrying, I blow dry everytime I wash. I only flat iron if I plan to wear it down at some point in the week. I find that come Wednesday, I'm forced to wear it in pony due to so much reversion in the shower and I absolutely refuse to put hear on my hair more than once a week.

Any suggestions ladies? I really miss roller sets -I've been afraid to do one since I've switched over to texlaxin. Has roller sets worked for you all?

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
I'm jealous. You have a good stylist. He seems so attentive.

Girl, I am blessed. He's been texlaxing me for YEARS before I even knew what it was, which is why I'm sure my hair has been able to stay thick and healthy. He was one of the first people I know that started with ceramics and he'd been using a Chi on me back when they first came out, and he's been using FHI Runways for like, almost two years. He's the bomb. He's really big on healthy relaxed/texlaxed hair and 90% of his clients are SL or longer. That's why I always feel so terrible for the ladies that have such awful salon experiences; he's been doing my hair for 22 years and I really don't have any complaints.

Aggie

Aggie what do you think of the Alba leave in and PM's The Conditioner.

I bought the Paul Mitchell The Conditioner a while back and I like the smell and I even like how it performs but I will not repurchase it because of the cones.

I will finish it up and keep on using Alba Botanica, Beauty Without Cruelty Revitalizing leave-ins, and TW protective mist bodifier, no cones, no parabens, no harsh chemicals, plus they work AMAZINGLY.

They leave my hair soft and shiny and moisturized. Additionally the latter three leave ins all double as daily moisturizers and a little goes a long way because they are really moisturizing.

Aggie

Nice thread!
I'm a 7 weeks post texlaxer...the majority of my hair is still relaxed though. I plan on texlaxing again next week... the problem is I can't really tell my new growth from the old texlaxed hair...does anyone else ever have that problem? I didn't have that problem last time..but this time it's hard to tell.

Another issue...I'm noticing my texlaxed hair is a lot drier than my relaxed hair, it doesn't seem to be retaining moisture as well as my relaxed hair. I'm going to try a lye relaxer this time...I bought the alter ego/linange lye relaxer, I've used the no-lye before and I really liked it so I'm gonna see if the lye is going to make a difference..

I have been giving the bolded a lot of thought since I'm transitioning now to texlaxed and want to do the same thing. At first I wanted to process my hair for only half the recommended time to relax my hair texture now I'm thinking about changing that to 3/4 of the time recommened, ie 10-11 minutes tops.

It's amazing what just an extra 3 minutes of processing time can do. 7-8 minutes is not enough processing time for my hair and this leaves me to think that maybe my hair is somewhere between fine and medium and not terribly fine:perplexed:ohwell:.

Aggie

:yay: Go Joico.

LOVE that brand. I could donate my head to their chemist :lol:

I love the fact that their products are simple and to the point. They do what they say they will do and quickly. Don't need all day to condition. 5-10 minutes and your done.

:yep:, I agree with both of you. I honestly don't know what took me so long to get this product line. I have just a few more items to purchase in this line. I am looking to get the k-pak reconstruct liquid reconstructor leave-in, smoothing balm, split end mender, restorative styling oil and the litre size intense hydrator conditioner.

n_vizion

I'm halfway through a sixteen week stretch (my longest attempt yet). I'm hoping to last 16 weeks between each touch up so I can minimize the number of relaxers per year to 3. This year has been really good so far as I have focused intensely on moisture retention and have made some great progress.

Nothin's gonna stop me now.

Aggie

Thats the same issue I'm having. My super thin strands are behaving like they're on steroids since I've been textlaxing- lovin it! Anyway, since my texlaxed hair hates airdrying, I blow dry everytime I wash. I only flat iron if I plan to wear it down at some point in the week. I find that come Wednesday, I'm forced to wear it in pony due to so much reversion in the shower and I absolutely refuse to put hear on my hair more than once a week.

Any suggestions ladies? I really miss roller sets -I've been afraid to do one since I've switched over to texlaxin. Has roller sets worked for you all?

I so wish I could help you with this one. I am just in my transitioning stage to texlaxed and have been wearing a lot of wigs, braids and cornrows. Why don't you consider drying your hair in rollers as opposed to blow drying it after your washes and keep it rollerset every night. I feel the texlaxed hair will respond better if trained in rollers from the wash day. Just a suggestion...

Aggie

Girl, I am blessed. He's been texlaxing me for YEARS before I even knew what it was, which is why I'm sure my hair has been able to stay thick and healthy. He was one of the first people I know that started with ceramics and he'd been using a Chi on me back when they first came out, and he's been using FHI Runways for like, almost two years. He's the bomb. He's really big on healthy relaxed/texlaxed hair and 90% of his clients are SL or longer. That's why I always feel so terrible for the ladies that have such awful salon experiences; he's been doing my hair for 22 years and I really don't have any complaints.

Wow you are lucky to have a stylist like that. I hate those iron pots that stylist use that have no heat gauge. They just put the flat in there and fry your hair. I know when/if I go again, I am taking my Sedu flat iron with me and making sure my stylist does not go any higher than 320 degrees. I hate limp hair and too an iron leaves my hair limp, yuck!

gymfreak336

What products are you using? You might want to switch to a line designed for smoothing and straightening. They tend to be based more on heat protection and emollients to help you style the hair effectively nad block humidy. I know joico silk results has a blow drying cream that works very well. Thermasmooth, joico silk result, redken smooth down, etc... They might work better considering what you are trying to do.

Khaiya

I'm having more shedding than normal but i realize if my hair is straight, no problem. Once i airdry, shedding, its not over the limit, i get maybe like 70 strands on a really bad day but thats a lot more than i'm used to, usually i dont get more than 30 if its been a REALLY rough day so i dont know what's happening. Maybe i need to keep my hair straighter around this time of year, i dunno.

I am going on 13 weeks post texlaxed and I plan to stretch for about 18 weeks or longer if I can. The hardest thing for me is all the tangles :wallbash:. I still have a lot of bone straight hair mixed with my texlaxed hair and then my new growth. I think I may have to start washing in plaits/braids because right now I don't do that.:yep:

I air dry most of the time. One thing that has helped me smooth/stretch my hair so it won't frizz or shrink up too much is that I apply my leave ins then I smooth my hair down in small sections with my paddle brush and my finger as the brush travel downs the strand and then seal with an oil or serum. I have learned if you smooth your hair out while its wet it will dry smoother/straighter.

Most recently I air dried in two ponytails and my hair came out smooth and soft. I also used a scarf to tie down my edges. Here is a pic:

Hosted on Fotki

Aggie

I am going on 13 weeks post texlaxed and I plan to stretch for about 18 weeks or longer if I can. The hardest thing for me is all the tangles :wallbash:. I still have a lot of bone straight hair mixed with my texlaxed hair and then my new growth. I think I may have to start washing in plaits/braids because right now I don't do that.:yep:

I air dry most of the time. One thing that has helped me smooth/stretch my hair so it won't frizz or shrink up too much is that I apply my leave ins then I smooth my hair down in small sections with my paddle brush and my finger as the brush travel downs the strand and then seal with an oil or serum. I have learned if you smooth your hair out while its wet it will dry smoother/straighter.

Most recently I air dried in two ponytails and my hair came out smooth and soft. I also used a scarf to tie down my edges. Here is a pic:

Hosted on Fotki

Your hair looks pretty good here. I have been doing the bolded recently and it works very well with all this new growth (9.5 months of it in fact) on my head right now. If I don't braid it down first, it's like I'm in tangle city.

simplyhair

Hosted on Fotki

I do the EXACT same thing to my hair. I love to airdry in two braids. Well, I where my hair in two braids all the time. It's such a cute and simple style.

I thought it was just me and dealing with tangles. I hate it. I feel like I'm ripping my hair by the time I get to the ends.

Last edited:

Tamrin

unapologetic
Wow, this is scary. This is why I detengle twice a week now on wash days only. I would recommend trying the Taliah Waajid protective mist bodifier which you purchase online or from a CVS store in your area. It is an awesome detangler and moisturizer all in one.

Thanks so much Aggie for the recommendation. I was so scared. I took a pic of the hair fiasco. It seems I go through this once a year. The last time it was with DPR 11. This time with Joico.

Tamrin, also make sure in times like that, that you are detangling before you wash. Separate your hair with your fingers in to a couple of sections and use a wide tooth comb to gently rack through to detangle before you even get it wet. It might also help to keep your hair in one direction when you wash. Like use your hands to pull the shampoo through each section, same with the conditioner. Don't let your hair go willy nilly everywhere during wash time. That might help you control the tangle.

Thank Gymfreak. The main issue was the no manipulation part, all I did was run my fingers in to bun and smooth the edges. Honestly all those steps you described is how I wash and DC. I would be insane to try to ruffle up my hair when I poo. It was the DC process that did me in. Im going back to my staple. Now I have to prepare to sell some unfinished product.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
This is just some randomness...

I recently started a thread about relaxing a week early (I had a goal of 10 weeks), but decided to wait even though my hair was breaking some...but I see split ends and one side of my head is soooo frizzy, regardless of what I do...I think I have some breakage, but maybe it is because I had some damaged hair from when I wasn't taking care of my hair so well....I'm not sure. I'm hoping that it all balances out when I get a relaxer. I have to do better with my protein treatments and taking care of my ends. I'm probably going to have to get an inch or two of hair cut off...I think I am going to start using castor oil on my ends and get some profectiv healthy ends and Chi Keratin Mist....:ohwell:

sunnieb

More randomness... :giggle:

I'm 8 weeks post as of today. When I wake up tomorrow I will be in totally uncharted territory! I've never stretched past 8 weeks before! :drunk:

Last edited:
I do the EXACT same thing to my hair. I love to airdry in two braids. Well, I where my hair in two braids all the time. It's such a cute and simple style.

I thought it was just me and dealing with tangles. I hate it. I feel like I'm ripping my hair by the time I get to the ends.

Yes tangles are crazy. Mine actually tangles more from the roots to about 4-5 inches down. My ends are more relaxed straight so they don't tangle as badly.

I agree about the style, when I can I just leave like that for a few days and just moisturize/seal and tie it up nightly.

Your hair looks pretty good here. I have been doing the bolded recently and it works very well with all this new growth (9.5 months of it in fact) on my head right now. If I don't braid it down first, it's like I'm in tangle city.

Wow Aggie congrats on your 9.5 months of new growth. Thus far I can't seem to get past 16 weeks but we will see this time.