Relaxed And Use Direct Heat Regularly? Let's Talk......

sunnieb

I tossed around the idea of going natural and now I'm back to wanting to stay relaxed - but stretch longer.

What I want is to begin using heat again. I think the last time I used direct heat was around 2011 or so. I would like to buy a flat iron and apply heat to my newgrowth only 1x a week.

So, since I'm pretty much a heat newbie, I need some advice.

I was looking at the Baby Bliss or Chi flat iron. What do you ladies use?

Do you use heat protectant?

Finally, when do you use heat? Only when you get so many weeks post relaxer, or all the time?

Thanks in advance! I plan to begin using heat in the next few weeks or whenever my newgrowth starts trying to dreadlock together. :hair:

danysedai

I'm not going to be much help as I mainly rollerset and flat iron the ng only but these past months I've been blow drying and flat ironing weekly.

I use a GHD and for heat protectant I use Kerastase Ciment Thermique or Nutri Thermique.

I went back to rollersetting as I don't like how flat and straight my hair looks when flat ironed.

Anyway, bumping for you.

sunnieb

@danysedai do you still flat iron your ng only?

That's what I plan to do. Plus, I don't want a straight look all around. Just want to control my tangly ng during the last weeks of my relaxer stretch.

Thanks for your response!

SuchaLady

Why didnt you call me? :sad: I use heat more than yall :look: but in modified methods.

I find that blowdrying on cool air is better for me and I dont need the flat iron at all. Its faster, my hair retains moisture, it stretches way more than you'd think and it is still more manageable than only airdrying while stretching.

Have you looked into a straightening brush? You could airdry and hit the roots with just your brush. I have both the flat irons you mentioned :look: and find that the Babyliss was my fave. I didnt get that magical experience with the Chi everyone raves about. Now the FHI flatiron :love: Let me find pics....BRB.

SuchaLady

An FHI did this.... I was many, many, many weeks post here.

danysedai

@danysedai do you still flat iron your ng only?

That's what I plan to do. Plus, I don't want a straight look all around. Just want to control my tangly ng during the last weeks of my relaxer stretch.

Thanks for your response!
Yes, that's what I've been doing. Except for this week because I went to a hairstylist who did a blow dry and light flat iron with curls.
Have you tried Mizani Thermasmooth, I swear by that system.

sunnieb

@SuchaLady I lost yo numba! :giggle:

Your results are gorgeous!

I haven't done or tried anything in regards to heat. I used to just let my stylist do whatever she wanted. :(

So I'm pretty much a heat baby. :baby2:

SuchaLady

@sunnieb I honestly don't remember but I know it was a salon in the mall. Folica is an authorized seller of their products and always has sales. I'd keep an eye out. They come and go like Macy's One Day Sales :lol:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I'm relaxed, currently transitioning and I flat iron once or twice a week, sometimes more :pullhair:
I have suffered breakage which is why I'm transitioning.
I don't use heat protectant but I currently use a small amount of Redken Anti Snap on soaking wet hair. I use an FHI Heat flat iron.
I also deep condition after most washes.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
My latest trick to spare my ends and get more body is to not flat iron my ends but flat iron about 3/4 of the way down and then roller set the rest.. only about 6-7 rollers and 15-20 mins under the dryer. This affords me more body instead of stringy ends.

Much better for me than a full roller set which gives me subpar results even after I flat iron the roots to mid shafts.

Evolving78

When I was relaxed, I would flat iron once a week. I washed my hair twice a week, so I would air dry and bun, then on the weekend, I would flat iron. No issues using heat. I just recommending using it on freshly washed hair.

sunnieb

@shortdub78 thanks for the tip! Since I air dry, my plan is to clarify/shampoo/dc one day, then put a bump of heat on the newgrowth the next night.

I won't use heat the night after cowashing, only after shampoo/dc'ing.

I'll see how that works.

SuchaLady

I have the FHI but can never achieve this result. Wish you could demonstrate exactly how you did it lol

@SuchaLady yeah, what's your technique for getting those gorgeous results?? :eyebrows2:

My stylist blew it out with some Biosilk, flat ironed with an FHI, and pincurled in the same Mohawk pattern used for rollersetting. It was so pretty and straight yet still curled if that makes sense.

By the end of the style it looked like this with a side part

SuchaLady

Now I can't make my hair look like that so I have to improvise :lol:

When I actually did stuff with my hair :yawn: I used these tutorials.

I didn't require nearly as much heat as this little lady since I'm relaxed. The blowdryer and rollers gave me the look I want.

This is actually really quick and easy. Very pretty too.