The secret to long relaxed hair- no direct heat

keylargo

Putting everything else aside (i.e. vitamins, protective styling, etc.), could it be that the #1 factor in achieving long relaxed hair is not using direct heat? I haven't used my curling iron or flat iron in a little over two weeks. I need motivation to go longer....
cool.gif

I beleive so. A lot of the people with longer hair ont he board believe in roller wraps to straighten the hair.

I agree. I think really you need to keep your ends in tact, so they arent breaking as quickly as your hair is growing. Eliminating heat is one way to ensure healthy ends, imo.

I don't have bra strap length hair yet, but I know that eliminating the use of heat has saved my hair. I got a trim 2 months ago and since giving up the blow-dryer, curling irons, etc, my ends still look like they did after the trim. If I was still using the blowdryer, they would be fried and straggly by now which=trim. Eliminating heat and keeping my hair moisturized is really helping me A LOT.

I've noticed that not using heat also keeps my ends from splitting. No heat definitely keeps my ends and hair from breaking like it used to. And my hair retains more moisture. It's been a year now since I've used heat and my hair is stronger and really thriving.

I agree as well. I haven't used direct heat since April and have significantly less split ends. With rollersets and roller wraps (doobies) my ends seem to be in much better condition.
smile.gif

I TOTALLY agree with this! I rarely use heat appliances because I normally wear my hair in a protective style M-F. Even when I wear it down, I air dry then use my curling irons, which I know isn't great, but I only use them about once or twice per month. I trimmed my ends 2 months ago and I was going to trim again but I can't find a split end (knock on wood
smile.gif

I have not perfected the roller set, but for the summer, I learned how to do pin curls/knots which can still be air-dryed if I have a few hours or do it the night before and it comes out wavy and curly the next day. That's also a nice no-heat style. To do this I simply wash & condition, let it air-dry 70% of the way, add a little Salerm 21 leave-in conditioner, section my hair into about 12 knots and secure them with metal clips. After a few hours I take them down, finger comb, then voila! If I'm rushed sometimes I'll blow with a dryer on a low setting to dry the hair closest to the scalp.

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
Putting everything else aside (i.e. vitamins, protective styling, etc.), could it be that the #1 factor in achieving long relaxed hair is not using direct heat? I haven't used my curling iron or flat iron in a little over two weeks. I need motivation to go longer....
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, in my opinion reducing the use of heat is better in achieving healthier hair which will in turn help it to grow longer.

[ QUOTE ]
SouthernGirl said:
I TOTALLY agree with this! I rarely use heat appliances because I normally wear my hair in a protective style M-F. Even when I wear it down, I air dry then use my curling irons, which I know isn't great, but I only use them about once or twice per month. I trimmed my ends 2 months ago and I was going to trim again but I can't find a split end (knock on wood
smile.gif

I have not perfected the roller set, but for the summer, I learned how to do pin curls/knots which can still be air-dryed if I have a few hours or do it the night before and it comes out wavy and curly the next day. That's also a nice no-heat style. To do this I simply wash & condition, let it air-dry 70% of the way, add a little Salerm 21 leave-in conditioner, section my hair into about 12 knots and secure them with metal clips. After a few hours I take them down, finger comb, then voila! If I'm rushed sometimes I'll blow with a dryer on a low setting to dry the hair closest to the scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Southerngirl, thanks for sharing. You must be a newbie. Welcome! I enjoyed your pictures and your hair looks really healthy
cool.gif

I am also trying to give up the heat. It has been two weeks for me too. I have not used any kind of heat at all -not even the hooded dryer. I have washed and conditioned my hair every two to three days. I just purchased the Miss Key 10en1, and love it. It leaves my hair very soft and smooth.

A coworker who has beautiful hair introduced me to Queen Helene Cholesterol Gel. It is a great alcohol free conditioning gel. I use it to help smooth and straighten my new growth. I applied it to wet hair and let it airdry. I was shocked when it dried, and my hair was not hard at all.

My problem with the no heat method and airdrying is that my ends always frizz. I airdry using the ponytail method, so the rest of my hair gets pretty straight, but not the ends. I have tried leave-in conditioners and serums, but they still look a little frizzy. I will purchase Rusk Smoother this weekend a see if that makes a difference.

I am determined to stick with this at least until the end of summer. My hair already feels so much better, and I don't miss the chore of blow drying and flat ironing my hair. If I can get my ends to cooperate, I may never got back to heat.

I think "no heat" is the ultimate contributor to healthy hair. It's just a slight weakness to me. Once in awhile, I use the flat iron (approx. once to twice every two weeks).

I never used to use direct heat too often, but I've been a predicament in the past few weeks and have begun to blowfry with a comb attachment.

I am certain my hair isn't happy, but my hair has been responding badly to being wet so often and rollersets are a joke in the humidity.

I need a new plan though, because I agree.
look.gif
Direct heat is very bad for the hair. I'm just trying to go with the lesser of two evils right now.
drunk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
pink_flower said:
I think really you need to keep your ends in tact, so they arent breaking as quickly as your hair is growing. Eliminating heat is one way to ensure healthy ends, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree.
smile.gif

YES! YES!
NO heat! Keep up the good work. The longer you can go w/out heat the better. You will see growth results faster. Your hair will not be as dry on the ends either. If you stay away from the heat you will be so happy w/ the results! Hope that motivates you a little. Just take it day by day and you will make it to your goal.

[ QUOTE ]
whitelily626 said:
My problem with the no heat method and airdrying is that my ends always frizz. I airdry using the ponytail method, so the rest of my hair gets pretty straight, but not the ends. I have tried leave-in conditioners and serums, but they still look a little frizzy. I will purchase Rusk Smoother this weekend a see if that makes a difference.

I am determined to stick with this at least until the end of summer. My hair already feels so much better, and I don't miss the chore of blow drying and flat ironing my hair. If I can get my ends to cooperate, I may never got back to heat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since I wear braidouts or my hair braided up I'm not so concerned about smooth ends. I've experienced them though by airdrying in a rollerset with large magnetic rollers. There is a ponytail rollerset method (or use can just roll up your ponytails with big rollers) and I'll have to find the link for you. The rollers smooth your hair and ends if done correctly.
smile.gif

Here is the ponytail rollerset method that Pandora shared with us.

Yep..that's the secret. Leave that heat ALONE!! There are so many alternatives that leave your hair looking just as good...if not better than using direct heat. It's o.k every now and then, but not all the time.

I find that using no direct heat and keeping my ends oiled and covered with a plastic wrap leaves my ends in SUPERB condition....WOW!!!!!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I would have to agree as well. Putting away my curling irons was really hard. My hair needs heat to stay put... or so I thought. It took a long time to manage the rollerset but it was worth it. Once spring came I had the excuse to practice a wash and go. I fell off the heat challenge a couple of times and my hair won't have it. If I use heat for one day it changes the texture of my hair, especially my ends.

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I belive so, before I joined this board I used curling and flat irons every other day and when my hair did grow it would just break off. I dont use that anymore, I blow out my hair maybe once a month now, and when I get a relaxer ever 2 1/2 months. I have seen vast improvements, but I also think that other things contibute to growth as well. For me it was putting the curling iron and flat iron down. I thought that I could never ever go without a flat iron, but I did. I learned how to do a braid out and twist my hair and make nice buns. Some people like my hair when It is wild from a braid out better than when I have it straight, I was one of those people who u would have never belived I could live without the heat, but I did. I just get rollersets now If I want to wear my hair straight, which is not very often.

Hmm... I use direct heat (flatiron) once a wk and my hair is fine. I agree, but only partly. I'll say that the key is to not ABUSE the use of direct heat and to only use it sparingly and only on clean hair.

JMO

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
Hmm... I use direct heat (flatiron) once a wk and my hair is fine. I agree, but only partly. I'll say that the key is to not ABUSE the use of direct heat and to only use it sparingly and only on clean hair.

JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Of of course.

brwnskingirl,
Im the same way with braidouts, the first time I did one I was afraid to wear it out that ppl wouldnt like it but I got as many compliments on the style as when I had it done at the salon(flat ironed and wrapped)...my friend Jason says its really cute and I look exotic and another guy said I looked "foreign" with my hair like that...lol:)

Also ppl at work always like it when I wear it that way. Lately, Ive been all about buns and braid outs but more buns lately bc I dont like my ends brushing against my clothes at work and mainly wear it on my days off when I can wear tank tops,etc.

SouthernGirl I love your hair! Well I had a post last month about how you ladies function without using heat. I said that when I take out my braids I would try no heat for ONE month and see how it goes. But I have a question...Is sitting roller setting and sitting under the dryer still considered using heat?

[ QUOTE ]
ChoclatePrincess said:
SouthernGirl I love your hair! Well I had a post last month about how you ladies function without using heat. I said that when I take out my braids I would try no heat for ONE month and see how it goes. But I have a question...Is sitting roller setting and sitting under the dryer still considered using heat?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it is indirect heat as opposed to direct heat (blow dryer, flat iron, curling iron, straightening comb)which is more injurious to the hair over time.....

Back