Problem: Crunchy Airdried Hair

lunalight7

Ladies that airdry in a ponytail: how do I get the hair to lie down smooth? I use a leavein, oil, and serum and I still see little curled up hairs in my ponytail. Naturally, it doesnt dry straight enough this way. I dont usually have a problem w/ detangling until Im 8 weeks post relaxer. What do u ladies do? I thought of a rattailed comb but I thought it would be too much manipulation and would cause too much hair to come out....HELP!!

Lindy

Lunalight,

Whenever I airdry in a ponytail, I just let it dry curly, I don't try to get it straight. Sorry!!

Chichi

Serum, ACV Rinse, and a good leave-in always does the trick for me.

After conditioner rinsing, I apply serum (John Frieda Texture Correcting Serum) then apply a leave in conditioner.

The ACV rinse, I use in the shower:

Conditioner application
ACV rinse
Conditioner application

You could also skip the first conditioner application, I guess. HTH.

Chichi

Crysdon

You're not going to get your hair sleek and smooth when air drying (at least I never did).

You could try leaving out the serum and apply the anti-frizz gel that the ladies recommend...and yes, stay away from the rattail comb.

soulchild

I really don't think you could get it that straight by airdrying. You already use a serum, maybe a straightening balm? Hmmm...maybe if your ponytail is long enough you could tie little ponytail elastics in sections down the length of the ponytail while it is damp to get it to stretch out and air dry a little straighter. I've never tried this, though so I don't know how it will turn out. Just a suggestion
Maybe, if anyone understands what I'm trying to say, someone can be our guinea pic

silvergirl

i always air dry my hair in a ponytail an it comes out straight like as if i had flat ironed it. all i do is detangle in the shower after conditioner, an let the water run through my hair an while im still in the shower ill smooth it with my hand back into a ponytail. i dont use leaves in or such,.. wen my hair is about 80% dry I add some olive oil an s-curl. an once its dry , i brush through straight. my hair type is 3c with some 4a in the front.

Victorian

old head
I've tried air drying in a ponytail and my hair seems to dry straighter and smoother if I just leave it loose instead of putting it in a ponytail. Plus you won't have that bend in the hair where the ponytail holder was (I guess this only matters if you plan on wearing your hair down). I use the Relax serum and Profectiv Break-free, as well as a little Hot 6 Oil. I use a shower comb to detangle and smooth the hair out while it's still damp.

caralexis2005

i can totally relate lunalight. I think Tracy said it best when she was like "NO combing airdried hair" because of the way it dries. i have fine coily hair naturally and even though i relax my hair still airdries curly and coily even.

one thing that has worked for me is smoothing my wet ponytail onto a large magnetic roller (the ones you use for rollersets) and securing it with clips. i then put on my scarf and by the morning its dry in a smooth way and the front is smooth and shiny. i havent been doing this as much though because i'm just wearing buns now anyway.

inthepink

Couldn't this also depend on how straightened your relaxed hair is? My hair was relaxed bone straight and it will dry pretty straight on its own without any effort put towards it.

Victorian

old head
That's a really good point hairlove. My hair is relaxed all the way and it air dries pretty straight. I know many don't relax bone straight so I'm sure that has some bearing on how straight the hair air dries.

CrownnGlori

Better late then never. Ok. I have found that leave-ins are designed to have heat applied. So if no heat is applied it dries a little hard sometimes, depending on how much is used, hairtype etc. Just oil and serum mixed works for me. With a scarf tied on to train it to dry smooth. HTH

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
caralexis2005 said:
one thing that has worked for me is smoothing my wet ponytail onto a large magnetic roller (the ones you use for rollersets) and securing it with clips. i then put on my scarf and by the morning its dry in a smooth way and the front is smooth and shiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done that before too Lunalight, and it does work!!
and you'll even have a slight curl on the ends!