Eureka! The Secret to Straight Airdried Hair...

Victorian

old head
MADE YOU LOOK!
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

j/k
laugh.gif
I don't know if it will actually help anyone but here's what helped me today...

Well I clarified today with Herbal Essences Purifying Shampoo (smells great!) and conditioned with Ion Moisturizing treatment. After that I used a little Aussie Moist for extra slip. I detangled in the shower with my shower comb while the Moist was still in my hair.

Afterwards, while still wet, I used my trusty Relax serum and worked it through, doing any detangling with my fingers. When it was just on the verge of starting to dry, I sprayed my hair all over with Profectiv Damage-Free and used a little Beyond the Zone Split Mender on the ends.

Now, up until this point, I didn't really do anything special (other than clarifying) --this is my normal routine. But, after I put in my leave-ins, I decided to use a smaller comb instead of my shower comb to distribute the products. "But BlackCardinal, I'm afraid of small combs--I must use a gigantic shower comb or I don't comb at all! I must not break my hair! Are you trying to sabotage us?" No, no, no, my friends, not a SMALL comb, a smallER comb. Your standard Goody wide-toothed comb. Not a fine-toothed comb, but not a Jilbere shower comb either
grin.gif
Use it to distribute your leave-ins, and don't be afraid to comb through more than once during the drying process. It works by the same principle that rollers do--your hair dries curled up so it stays curled. If you let your (relaxed) hair just hang down, it will dry relatively straight, but because of the texture it will tend to draw up or get a bit frizzy. So you want to use the comb to "convince" your hair to dry straighter. "Will I lose a bunch of hair?" Don't worry. If you detangle properly before hand, with con still in your hair to help with slip, you shouldn't have too many tangles or snags while drying.

Anyway, my hair got so much smoother and straighter using the smaller comb. I'm still working on gettings the ends as straight as the rest. I mean they're straight, but not as smooth. So far, the only way I know of to airdry your ends smooth is with rollers or putting it up in a bun or something. I must do further experimentation...
scratchchin.gif

Just wanted to share with y'all
cool.gif
I took 2 pics. They're in the "Airdrying" album.

Oh yeah! A smaller comb is definitely the key. I detangle with a wide tooth comb, then a smaller one, then a fine tooth one. My hair dries pretty straight that way.

Re: Eureka! The Secret to Straight Airdried Hair..

HAIRLOVE! Girl I just looked at your album (again). Wow! Your hair looks great! Congrats on reaching waist length. Lord only knows if my hair will ever make it that far
laugh.gif

Your hair looks very nice and straight BlackCardinal! Now, did you touch it at all after you combed it with a smaller toothed comb and while it was airdrying? Or did you just let it hang?

Hi Black Cardinal,
Your hair looks really nice and healthy.
I just wanted to say that Im from the bay area also (san Jose). Just wanted to say hello.

[ QUOTE ]
Your hair looks very nice and straight BlackCardinal! Now, did you touch it at all after you combed it with a smaller toothed comb and while it was airdrying? Or did you just let it hang?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks! I just let it hang
smile.gif

Hey carmella25
wave.gif
I'm really from Missouri, but I'm here going to school
smile.gif

Well I put my hair up after I took those pictures. I didn't make a real bun, I just did the kind where you make a ponytail, and when you're pulling your hair through the second time, you just leave the ends tucked in. Anyway, I just checked, and that smoothed my ends out considerably! I didn't even put anything else in it before I put it up. I need to make sure I write all this stuff down for future reference
smile.gif

Thanks BlackCardinal!

For me, I'm able to get straight ends by applying coconut oil to my wet ends and combing through with my fine tooth comb. Maybe you could use vaseline if you have that and see if it works. My ends end up soft and smooth that way.

I think I'll try that Hairlove with the vaseline. Too bad I just finished with my airdrying today...

Another question, since you let it hang, that means this had to be airdried during your waking hours and it had to become completely dry before you went to bed, right? So how long did it take for your hair to airdry? I'm hoping it's a lot faster than roller sets!

black cardinal, I was looking at the avatars in your album and the avatar appropriately named "the day the world came to and end" cracked me up. Well, I wasn't a member of the board then but I can imagine how you guys felt.

By the way your hair looks great.

BC, I think I posted this on another thread. I discovered the same thing as you...that a fine-toothed comb combats the crunchies when air-drying. I used the dreaded fine-toothed rattailed comb (I know, spank me). But the conditioner, Profective 3Phase Oil (love this), and Loreal Serum made the comb glide through my hair. I got it to dry straight and I didnt lose any more hairs than usual. Looks like we got a plan girlfriend....

Isis--Hmmm I didn't really pay attention to how long it took to dry...not very long though. I'm sure it's faster than rollersetting. I'm doing a CO wash tomorrow so I'll tell you how long it takes to dry then.

silk--yeah, that was something. It was total pandemonium for a few days
laugh.gif

lunalight--oh I must have missed your thread. I could have been doing this all along! Yeah, girl we gotta spread the word
smile.gif

I'm going to try putting the Long N' Healthy on my ends since I don't have any vaseline. We'll see how that turns out.

BC,
I do this too, and you're right, it works great!! I use my Goody plastic "afro pick" instead of a comb!!

I do this in the evening so that my hair is just about totally dry by the time I go to bed. I put in some moisturizer (UBH) and a little bit of oil, and then wrap my hair and tie it down with my scarf. The next morning, VOILA!! My hair looks almost as straight as when I rollerset. It actually looks even straighter if I wrap it again that next night. By the third day, my hair looks exactly as though it was roller-set.
smile.gif

Maybe I did something wrong. I used a fine-toothed comb (not a rattail comb) after applying my leave-in and oils and although it seemed to glide through ok, my hair was not looking straighter. I let it airdry for about an hour without touching it and I watched my hair slowly turn into a poufy, but a smooth and poufy, afro.

Maybe I need to use a different kind of comb or some serum. Or maybe it doesn't work for my 4b hair. I'll try to see if I can figure it out. Thanks anyway for sharing your technique. I'm glad it works for you and some others!
smile.gif

I can get a fine tooth comb through my relaxed hair, but my natural hair isn't having it
nono.gif
This stuff massively thick, dense & coily....

Thanks for the sharing ur discovery BC.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I let it airdry for about an hour without touching it and I watched my hair slowly turn into a poufy, but a smooth and poufy, afro.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what BC does, but I keep combing through my hair every 15 mins. or so (with the Afro pick) until it's dry. If I left it alone, it definitely wouldn't dry as straight. It would have waves/curls in it and be more puffy.

Yeah, when I said I just let it hang I meant that I didn't put it up while it was still drying. I do comb through it more than once while it's drying.

[ QUOTE ]
BlackCardinal said:
Yeah, when I said I just let it hang I meant that I didn't put it up while it was still drying. I do comb through it more than once while it's drying.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
I used to use a fine tooth comb with my hair combed down before sitting under the dryer. My hair used to comb out smooth, straight and soft. I stopped doing it because the blowdryer has been so convenient with my lack of time. I know I need to go back to drying that way again.
drunk.gif

Thanks BC and Lindy, I 'll try again next time and keep combing it as it dries. That may be the solution. I didn't put it up at all, I let it hang.

Back