Optimum Relaxer= Baldness?

dreysonsmommy2011

You know, I had a few bald spots in my head earlier this year and I didn't know what contributed to it,but now that you mention it I was using Optimum relaxer. I have since switched and I haven't had any problems with bald spots. Hmmm, this makes me wonder:ohwell:

Synthia

My mom and I have used OPtimum No-lye Relaxer for years. We love it.

1. This lady speaks of sodium hydroxide (lye). So she used a different variety. I use no-lye.

2. This lady said no neutralizing shampoo was in the box. I would never have applied a relaxer without acquiring a neutralizing shampoo and using it afterwards. This could have been avoided.

Her scalp looks horrid. But really, if she's been applying relaxers since she was a kid, as she says, she should have known to get a neutralizing shampoo.

I love most of the Optimum products I've tried.

Denim And Leather

Synthia said:
My mom and I have used OPtimum No-lye Relaxer for years. We love it.

1. This lady speaks of sodium hydroxide (lye). So she used a different variety. I use no-lye.

2. This lady said no neutralizing shampoo was in the box. I would never have applied a relaxer without acquiring a neutralizing shampoo and using it afterwards. This could have been avoided.

Her scalp looks horrid. But really, if she's been applying relaxers since she was a kid, as she says, she should have known to get a neutralizing shampoo.

I love most of the Optimum products I've tried.

You make excellent points, Synthia. The one thing that sticks out of my mind though, is that just a few minutes into the relaxer, it started to severly burn. I also agree that if there was no neutralizing shampoo, there's no way I would've applied that relaxer in the first place!

It just seems that if lye-based relaxers were this bad, then wouldn't there be more instances of women losing their hair?