Oils and shampoos Do you know what's in it ?!?

Lakshmi S

I have notices that alot of you are using Dabur's or Emami's amla oil or shampoos whether indian of western that have chems in it.

Dabur emami oils are mostly mineral oils and vegetable oils. these contain a lil extract... we will use amla for example. the extract gives the scent of amla.. and the color! it is chems in the color. the color of amla oil should be a faint green almost yellowish color. The best oil that is out there is Dabur's Vatika, plain coconut oil, and castor oil. Or one can infuse your own oils.

Now for the shampoos let's talk about indian shampoos. most are fooled because they see amla or aritha etc. they are full of sulfates that are damaging. so the lil bit of extracts of a natural plant is wasted. even the wonderful Dabur's Vatika Shampoos are no good. Using aritha and shikakai powder for hair washing is great and CON for those who don't like the powder thing.

I personally use meera gold hair wash powder. or the hibiscius. amla. or aritha powders to wash.

Removing alot of the chems from your routine will help along with a good diet and exercise.

Last edited:
I have notices that alot of you are using Dabur's or Emami's amla oil or shampoos whether indian of western that have chems in it.

Dabur emami oils are mostly mineral oils and vegetable oils. these contain a lil extract... we will use amla for example. the extract gives the scent of amla.. and the color! it is chems in the color. the color of amla oil should be a faint green almost yellowish color. The best oil that is out there is Dabur's Vatika, plain coconut oil, and castor oil. Or one can infuse your own oils.

Now for the shampoos let's talk about indian shampoos. most are fooled because they see amla or aritha etc. they are full of sulfates that are damaging. so the lil bit of extracts of a natural plant is wasted. even the wonderful Dabur's Vatika Shampoos are no good. Using aritha and shikakai powder for hair washing is great and CON for those who don't like the powder thing.

I personally use meera gold hair wash powder. or the hibiscius. amla. or aritha powders to wash.

Removing alot of the chems from your routine will help along with a good diet and exercise.

i agree

alot of this is maybe common sense though

probabley why you didnt get responses

Yes I inspect the composition of everything I consume or apply to my body. I prefer to use the powders to make my own oils. Its also cheaper:yep: I have only used the Vatika shampoo once. I would use it again.I prefer to use the ayurvedic stuff for conditioning or oil cleansing. The shampoos don't really appeal to me.

ITA, that's the reason why I never ran out to buy commercial Indian products like Dabur Amla. Plus It took me a while to realize that mineral oil breaks my skin out terribly. I am experimenting with herbs (not just ayurvedic ones) but I need to do more trial and error.

Where do you get your meera gold hair wash powder?

thanx for the info!! doesn't seem common sense to me since i know nothing about indian poos or oils :ohwell: the only oil i use is castor oil anyway, i might try that meera gold one of these days though...

Thank you for posting this, I have not tried the oils because oils tend to weigh my hair down. I use Amla powder in my Henna mix and love it. Many Indian products interest me, maybe because of their Beautiful hair!:grin:

Anyway, thanks again, and don't be discouraged by minimal replies, sometimes we soak up the info, make a note of it, or it does not apply to us. Please don't feel ignored.

Softresses

I agree about the shampoo...I purchased one that had amla and reetha but it felt like it had strip my hair. Not to mention besides that there were no real ingredients.

I've never wanted to say anything negative about those Indian products but I just don't get the hype.

I've used Amla oil for a little while when i was a kid and it didn't do anything. As a matter of fact I hate the smell. That oil feels and smells like liquid vaseline.

And...I live in an Indian neighborhood. Those oils are sold in every store within 2 square miles of me. I've never seen any Indian person buying them. Those oils are dusty old and crusty on the shelves...and a complete mystery.
I can get a bottle of Amla oil for $1.50 and I don't buy it. That's why I started using my own.

However, if it's working for you then I'm not knocking it. They're just not for me.

Hey Cashew! I think that's the exact point the OP was making. A lot of the proprietary oils have harsh chemicals in them, including the poos and cons. I bought a couple of Hesh brand oils and didn't touch them. I couldn't believe all of the mineral oil and color additives in them. The best best would be to use natural powders and infuse your own oils.

OT: I'm striving to have hair just like yours!:yep:

that is exactly what i was getting at about the chems and mineral oils. why can't they use olive or coconut. but mineral oil is cheap so they take advantage of that.

And sweet cashew if you found amla for $1.50 that is surprisingly cheap. but i am with you about using infused oils. i buy the frozen fruit, defrost it, grind it, and press the juice out. then i put that in coconut oil. :yep:

Thanks for the input. I agree but I'm at the beginning of my experiment and it's hard doing research on the ingredients online. I've eliminated Dabur completely from my list since I know most of their products have mineral oils but the other ones that look promising don't always list their complete ingredients. For my next supply, I'll just order the powders and infuse my own oils. I'll have to search for that meera gold powder. Thanks again.
icon14.gif

Hey Cashew! I think that's the exact point the OP was making. A lot of the proprietary oils have harsh chemicals in them, including the poos and cons. I bought a couple of Hesh brand oils and didn't touch them. I couldn't believe all of the mineral oil and color additives in them. The best best would be to use natural powders and infuse your own oils.

OT: I'm striving to have hair just like yours!:yep:

how would you go about infusing your own oils with the powders?

Back