How to use Kalpi Tone Powder?

Ronnieaj

I used the Whole Food 365 conditioner that msa so raves about. I actually really like it. I added under a cup of coconut oil to it as well. I essentially followed Traycee's co-wash recipe.

Aggie

Aggie have you tried this powder mixed with cond?

I don't use it any other way other than with henna,other powders and conditioners. I have not used it by itself yet and I don't know if I will either. I use it with Tresemme Remoisturize with B5 conditioner mostly but it can be used with other cheapy conditioners like Suave, Queen Helene Cholesterol, etc.

I used Kalpi Tone for the first time on Saturday and it was great! I think once I've used up all of my other powders this is going to be my staple one.
I didn't use it the way it says on the box because when I use any of these powders as a thick paste, I cannot 4 the life of me get all the grit and residue out and it causes breakage. I did this the first time...never again.

I used Kalpi Tone the same way I usually use my other powders.
I used about two tablespoons and added boiling water. It was not a paste, but it was not watery either :look: (still quite thick). I left it to sit for about an hour, then strained it through a stocking cap.
After rinsing my hair for about 5 minutes, I poured the mixture over my hair in sections and left it to sit on my hair with a shower cap for one hour.
I rinsed it out, slathered on some conditioner, rinsed it out immediately, conditioned again, but this time left the conditioner on for 15 minutes before rinsing. I might tweak this method in the future.

This stuff is great.
After rinsing off the powder mixture (before any conditioner was used), my hair felt clean and soft and there was no dryness at all.
My hair was left very shiny and a little darker.
This is not a great picture, but it shows the shine I'm talking about on air dried hair and normally when I airdry, my hair is dull as h3ll. There is no product at all in my hair in this picture.

Hope this helps a bit!

I just wanted to add, the only thing i didn't like about it was the black tinge I got on my fingers after using it.
I don't think there's henna in it, but I think it's a thing called Mandoor that's in it that gives the black tone to your hair.

This off topic- Great progress on your growth:grin:

Aggie

I think I will try to use it vestaluv1's way by itself for my next ayurveda wash day which will be on Thursday. Wish me luck - the first time I tried this made my hair really dry. So I hope for better luck this time around. She's right about the dark color deposit left in the fingernails. I don't mind it though because the benefits of kalpi tone on my hair outweigh any cosmetic ugliness on my nails.

Last edited:

Aggie

I think I will try to use it vestaluv1's way by itself for my next ayurveda wash day which will be on Thursday. Wish me luck - the first time I tried this made my hair really dry. So I hope for better luck this time around. She's right about the dark color deposit left in the fingernails. I don't mind it though because the benefits of kalpi tone on my hair outweigh any cosmetic ugliness on my nails.

I have a mixture consisting of

2 Tbs of kalpi tone,
1 Tbs of amla,
1/2 tspn of shikakai
1 Tbs of brahmi powders on my hair right now.

I put all the powders in a bowl, mixed them up with hot water and let it sit for an hour. I rinsed my hair in the shower with warm water and poured the unstrained mixture over my hair and now I'm letting it sit for an hour before washing it out with v05 conditioner. I will follow up with a DC of Joico Color Endure and Mizani Moisturefuse mixed together. I think I will need a hot oil mixed in with them today as well for easy detangling.

ETA:

My Update: I really love how strong this treatment made my hair feel. I had to DC for 3 hours afterwards. I have 3.5 inches of new growth that is pretty difficult to detangle hence the long DC sessions. I will be doing this treatment again but I might try the kalpi tone by itself or simply minus the shikakai powder.

Last edited:

Aggie

Okay ladies, I am so excited that I have to post this in all the ayurveda threads I can think of. It's a response email I got from Ekua at http://ayurnaturalbeauty.ecrater.com...keywords=henna, is this service or what?

Here it is:

Hi Agatha,

I'm back in town and have been busy with fulfilling the orders that came in the past few days while I was away. I see your order delivered. I hope all was satisfactory!

Good news (and you should spread the word) ... I should have indigo, cassia, and pure henna (100% henna, no blends) by the end of this month. I received the samples and they are all very finely sifted -- very powdery. This first order is a smaller one as I want to be sure of how well it will be received. If response is favorable, then I will increase the supply.

As for the discount, I know I was going to offer free shipping over a certain amount ordered and I was thinking of 10% off across the hair boards. Still working it all out.

I appreciate you being willing to promote me across the boards. I need the support as there is no AyurNatural Beauty without the support of customers! Any and all feedback is welcome!

Please stay in touch and also, I'm working on my blog for store updates and announcements -- http://ayurnaturalbeauty.blogspot.com -- feel free to join!

And I was recently interviewed by Kinky Rhonnie on her blog. See here -- http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com/2009/07/ekuas-ayurnatural-beauty.html

Again, thank you for your support!

~ Ekua

This email was in response to an email I sent her earlier in the week. Everyone feel free to visit her blog spot. I am so excited about the indigo:grin:. That was costing me an arm and 2 legs in shipping charges coming from Canada and I just don't want to pay those anymore:nono:.

cookie1

When mixed w/ condish, is it hard to get out? Have anyone ever used this as a rinse (just make a tea out of it? Do most of you use as a paste (like Henna)? Do one treatment take the whole box? How often do you use,safely?

Last edited:

Aggie

When mixed w/ condish, is it hard to get out? Have anyone ever used this as a rinse (just make a tea out of it? Do most of you use as a paste (like Henna)? Do one treatment take the whole box? How often do you use,safely?

The powders are natural, therefore that makes them quite safe cookie1 so you can use them 3 days a week if you wish, even more. I have fine hair so I am trying my best not to have to manipulate my hair so often. It really depends on how much your hair can handle. I do a rinse but not too often. I use other hair products besides ayurveda so I would only use the rinse once a week, sometimes twice, depending on how I am wearing my hair.

Lita

I mix with water or tea an add rose water & honey to my mix. Smooth,thick,strong hair.
Happy Hair Growing!

poookie

:bump:

any updates?

i used kalpi tone once; 2 tablespoons mixed with boiling water. i liked the effect it had on my hair. it felt softer, & stronger at the same time. however... i just found out that a whopping10% of the powder is iron rust, a.k.a. iron oxides that can be dangerous to those that relax their hair. i know ladies here have been using it with no problems, but now i'm a bit concerned, as i lighten my hair AND relax... i don't want it to turn green... has anyone had any problems with this?

morehairplease

any updates?

i used kalpi tone once; 2 tablespoons mixed with boiling water. i liked the effect it had on my hair. it felt softer, & stronger at the same time. however... i just found out that a whopping10% of the powder is iron rust, a.k.a. iron oxides that can be dangerous to those that relax their hair. i know ladies here have been using it with no problems, but now i'm a bit concerned, as i lighten my hair AND relax... i don't want it to turn green... has anyone had any problems with this?
really!?!? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

To get rid of the powders, slather conditioner like VO5 or something kinda soupy like that, work it in right on top of the pasted hair...then rinse out. I've decided to try that with henna and it works wonders. Now I'm going to start to use up all those powders I bought and never used cuz they were too hard to get out. I'll make my own Kalpitone since I have the individual ones...although I'm tempted to get K. at the grocer...recently saw it there.

On second thought: iron...I never had a problem with making my henna darker by curing it in an iron pot with relaxed hair application. ????

And I saw the ingredient in Kalpitone...more than aritha, shikakai, amla and brahmi....I'm gonna need to buy it!

Last edited:

Aggie

any updates?

Thanks poookie, I'm relaxed but I am not really concerned about it. There are a lot of ingredients in hair/skin/soap products that are not great for us, including parabens which are known as cancer causing agents but many people have been using them for years with no problems at all and continue to use them.

I believe that because I only use a little of it mixed with other powders and conditioners, I should be fine. Although, I have heard this before and it didn't deter me from purchasing it. I have been using it for a year now with no problems and will continue to use it because it's been good to my hair so far.

There are so many things that would scare us into not doing/using/eating, etc, that if you listen to it all, you'll never do/use/eat anything. I got really tired of all the scare tactics by the mass media and doctors that I just do what works for me inspite of what they say. That's just me though.

None-the-less, I appreciate you posting this, it will no doubt help many ladies with their decision to use or not use kalpi tone.

If anyone is concerned about the iron oxide, try using Sally's Ion Purifying and Clarifying Shampoo to wash it out.

Last edited:

poookie

Thanks poookie, I'm relaxed but I am not really concerned about it. There are a lot of ingredients in hair/skin/soap products that are not great for us, including parabens which are known as cancer causing agents but many people have been using them for years with no problems at all and continue to use them.

I believe that because I only use a little of it mixed with other powders and conditioners, I should be fine. Although, I have heard this before and it didn't deter me from purchasing it. I have been using it for a year now with no problems and will continue to use it because it's been good to my hair so far.

There are so many things that would scare us into not doing/using/eating, etc, that if you listen to it all, you'll never do/use/eat anything. I got really tired of all the scare tactics by the mass media and doctors that I just do what works for me inspite of what they say. That's just me though.

None-the-less, I appreciate you posting this, it will no doubt help many ladies with their decision to use or not use kalpi tone.

Thanks for your input, Aggie :yep: ; i read your posts on how the iron doesn't bother you.

A red flag came up when i was reading up on how to use it online, and it said it worked best when left to sit in an iron bowl...

even though i enjoy the results, i'll have to pass on the remainder of this stuff, since i am going to continue to lighten and relax my hair, and i don't want to risk a setback. i'll be sticking with all the other wonderful ayurvedic powders, and will definitely check up on their ingredients before using.

Aggie

Thanks for your input, Aggie :yep: ; i read your posts on how the iron doesn't bother you.

A red flag came up when i was reading up on how to use it online, and it said it worked best when left to sit in an iron bowl...

even though i enjoy the results, i'll have to pass on the remainder of this stuff, since i am going to continue to lighten and relax my hair, and i don't want to risk a setback. i'll be sticking with all the other wonderful ayurvedic powders, and will definitely check up on their ingredients before using.

I heard that it's not good for hair that has been lightened because it changes the color. By the way, iron oxide is found in quite a number of things that we use everyday like makep and various cosmetics, for example. But I understand your reasons for passing up on it. Oh, I actually mix all my powders in a plastic bowl, including my henna. Perhaps I will try to use a metal bowl and see if there are any differences in my results.

poookie

I heard that it's not good for hair that has been lightened because it changes the color. By the way, iron oxide is found in quite a number of things that we use everyday like makep and various cosmetics, for example. But I understand your reasons for passing up on it. Oh, I actually mix all my powders in a plastic bowl, including my henna. Perhaps I will try to use a metal bowl and see if there are any differences in my results.

it's true, it did darken my hair slightly. and i'm not afraid of iron in general, i quite like it in my makeup and eyeshadows! it being my hair is risky for me though :yep:

Melissa-jane

I don't use it any other way other than with henna,other powders and conditioners. I have not used it by itself yet and I don't know if I will either. I use it with Tresemme Remoisturize with B5 conditioner mostly but it can be used with other cheapy conditioners like Suave, Queen Helene Cholesterol, etc.

I use mine with a cheapie conditioner you get in london called inecto 100% coconut oil conditioner, its cone free and really compliments indian powders ( I imagine its a bit like suave) My powder turned the conditioner into a cooki dough like paste and then smoothed onto my hair a treat, then I can rinse it out with ease.

I do not need a further dc afterwards.

Lucia

Thanks for the info Vestaluv.
I used the powder too and I love but I didn't get any stain on my hands. I checked the ingredients and looks like henna is not part of the ingredients.

Amla Fruit (Phyllanthus Emblica Linn) 10%, Maka Leaves (Eclipa Aba) 10%, Mandoor (Iron Rust) 10%, Jaswandh Flower (Hibiscus Rosa) 9%, Narangichal (Citrus Aurantium) 8%, Shikakai Fruit (Acacia Conncinna) 7%, Kumari Leaves (hedychium Spicatum) 7%, Kapur Kachili (Hedychium Spicatum) 6%, Brahmi (Herpestis Monniera) 5%, Methi Seed (Trigonalafinum Greekum) 5%, Wala (Andropogan Muricatus) 5%, Khadir Stem (Acacia Katechu wild) 3%, Chandan (Santalum Album) 2%, Neem (Azadirachta Indica), Sitaphal Seeed Powder(Squamosa), Sugandh Dravya (Q.S.).

Here are the advantages:

- Gives a dark tinge to the hair
- Strengthens hair roots
- Promotes hair growth
- Controls hair loss & premature graying
- Relieves headaches & induces sound sleep
Kalpi Tone helps control dandruff, hair loss and premature graying of hair. May help to strengthen hair roots and promote hair growth.

Source:http://www.mehndiskinart.com/Kalpi_Tone_Powder.htm

It has my top 3 fav powders in it, brahmi, maka bringraj, and neem. maybe I'll look into this.
I don't pre-oil when using the powders, just rinse with warm-hot water massage, apply paste, wait 20-30 mins, then rinse and then conditioner rinse out. Usually my hairs so soft I don't really need to DC but I do anyways.

Last edited:

Aggie

It has my top 3 fav powders in it, brahmi, maka bringraj, and neem. maybe I'll look into this.
I don't pre-oil when using the powders, just rinse with warm-hot water massage, apply paste, wait 20-30 mins, then rinse and then conditioner rinse out. Usually my hairs so soft I don't really need to DC but I do anyways.

Ooooh Lucia, if you get it, let us know how you like it, okay?

*Muffin*

I'm thinking about purchasing Kalpi Tone powder after all my ayurvedic herbs run out. It contains all the herbs I currently use, and then some. I'm trying to simplify my routine. I believe the only powders I will buy in the future are Kalpi Tone and Heenara. Heenara is an all in one henna treatment (plus lots of other herbs), and I like it a lot.

janda

Hi natieya honey, I am relaxed and i use it on my relaxed hair with no problems at all. I love the kalpi tone powder which has a really great blend of moisturizing, strengthening, cleansing and growth powders in it.

I color my hair every few months using Naturtint to cover grey. Should I have any concerns with the iron oxide? I bought some kalpi tone & want to give it a try. This tread made be hesitate.

Aggie

I color my hair every few months using Naturtint to cover grey. Should I have any concerns with the iron oxide? I bought some kalpi tone & want to give it a try. This tread made be hesitate.

Well I only use henna and indigo to color my hair. I don't use any type of commercial hair coloring. I don't have an answer for you in this case as I am not familiar with Naturtint. I sure someone else can come in and chime in with an answer for you.

Last edited:

Smiley79

Anyone still using this...I plan to try it this weekend...but I get so confused with "add oil, add conditioner, add tea" I never know what to add or how much to add. The box says add water and I guess I'll just add a tablespoon of Coconut Oil and let the mix sit for an hour before applying. If it gets hard after letting it sit, can I just add water to loosen it. Off to do more research! :)

Pompous Blue

Anyone still using this...I plan to try it this weekend...but I get so confused with "add oil, add conditioner, add tea" I never know what to add or how much to add. The box says add water and I guess I'll just add a tablespoon of Coconut Oil and let the mix sit for an hour before applying. If it gets hard after letting it sit, can I just add water to loosen it. Off to do more research! :)
Smiley79

I still use it once a month. I just add water to mine, apply to hair, let sit for an hour and rinse out, co-rinse out.

Sometimes I add extra bhringaj(?) powder to it. And I do oil my hair and scalp before applying.

Love Kalpi-tone.

Smiley79

Whooppee, Can't wait to try it...do you think using it weekly would be too much. Also, do I follow Kalpi Tone with a deep moisture conditioner or is that only for Henna?

Pompous Blue

Whooppee, Can't wait to try it...do you think using it weekly would be too much. Also, do I follow Kalpi Tone with a deep moisture conditioner or is that only for Henna?
Smiley79

I've been using Kalpi-tone for over a year now. When I first started using it, I did it once a week for about 3 months. So, it shouldn't hurt you to do it once a week.

And yes, I do follow up with a deep moisturizer, e.g., KBB hair mask, Hairveda's Sitrinillah, Shescenit.com's banana brulee. I often add Meadowfoam seed oil and pumpkin seed oil to my DC's. And I steam for about an hour with it on.

I am natural with fine, medium density hair and henna and ayurvedic powders have thickened up my hair and made it strong. They also help to eliminate seasonal, excessive shedding, too.