Official 2010 Ceramides Challenge

Minty

Kerastase oleo-fusion and biolage cerapro have ceramides. I don't mix them in a spritz anymore but a few girls do. Cream Tea and Jaziyra (I can't remember her name!__) do if I remember correctly. They have some great spritz combos!

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
All the oils the oils that are discussed are natural oils that ARE edible. I have taken Wheat germ oil to help with cramps (high in vit e) when I ran out of my vit e capsules. It tastes nasty but it worked. People take hempseed oil for its omegas and I have cooked with ricebran oil (very light and does not over power food). I also use sesame oil when making asian dishes. I think you get the idea. Hopefully others can chime in with their experiences ingesting oils.

Nasdaq_Diva

All the oils the oils that are discussed are natural oils that ARE edible. I have taken Wheat germ oil to help with cramps (high in vit e) when I ran out of my vit e capsules. It tastes nasty but it worked. People take hempseed oil for its omegas and I have cooked with ricebran oil (very light and does not over power food). I also use sesame oil when making asian dishes. I think you get the idea. Hopefully others can chime in with their experiences ingesting oils.

Myjourney2009, I too ingest my oils. Currently I'm applying my wheat germ oil topically (hair) and ingesting 1TBS (just about daily) in my smoothies. How much were you taking?

Embyra

2. Do ceramides occur naturally? Yes they do, wheat germ being a common source. The synthetic form of ceramide is highly concentrated and therefore useful for giving hair a high dose. It is also designed to mimic the naturally occuring ceramide in hair which is different from that found in skin and plant sources.

I want a ranking of these synthetic v natural ceramides i emailed her ....i couldnt help myself lol

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@Myjourney2009, I too ingest my oils. Currently I'm applying my wheat germ oil topically (hair) and ingesting 1TBS (just about daily) in my smoothies. How much were you taking?

I took the suggested serving which is 1 tsp, it knocked those cramps out the box. I only did it until I got my vit e capsules. It was horrible but a good back up. I have read that vit e does not need to be taken every day because it is a fat soluble vitamin that is stored in your liver, it is a slow releasing vitamin. I take one 400 IU capsule every other day and I have no cramps EVER. Sometimes I forget and then I use those instead of pain killers and they do the job just as effectively within a half hour of taking one

Last edited:

Embyra

Again, a lot of these websites make a lot of claims without actually citing any references (argh! pet peeve) and that misleads the reader. Someone replied to that blog in the comments sections saying:

"Little One, you are right that they only add ceramide in small concentrations- as low as 0.1% to 0.5% (emphasis mine). The L'oreal study used 0.1% and was clearly more than sufficient.

The concentrated product from L'Oreal claims to be 10 times more concentrated than what you would find in hair (which is not much anyway lol). However that is the claim."

I totally agree with that comment. Now, if you the concentrations (listed in my previos post) of ceramides in the three oils I bothered to research is 1-2%, which is 10 more that loreal used in the study! Imagine the benefits if you use a ceramide rich oil everyday!

I just saw this the thread layout on my page is acting up ...thanks for providing the info...my shopping list is getting longer :ohwell:

Last edited:

Nasdaq_Diva

I took the suggested serving which is 1 tsp, it knocked those cramps out the box. I only did it until I got my vit e capsules. It was horrible but a good back up. I have read that vit e does not need to be taken every day because it is a fat soluble vitamin that is stored in your liver, it is a slow releasing vitamin. I take one 400 IU capsule every other day and I have no cramps EVER. Sometimes I forget and then I use those instead of pain killers and they do the job just as effectively within a half hour of taking one
Thanks! I guess I can cut down on my amount then. I'll take 1tsp every other day then.

Sherae

To the ladies that use products with ceramides, do the shampoos contain ceramides as well?
I'd like to switch over to a ceramide product, but I have to use up my cera repair vials first.
So, can anyone highly recommend one of the product lines? Sounds like Redken is a good one. What about Joico? Do all Joico products contain ceramides?

I use L'Oreal sulfate free shampoo I got at walmart. I think it's the Everystrong line in the green packaging. It says Ceramide in the front. It gets my hair clean and makes it feel soft. They also have an overnight repair mask I've been using on my ends and love that as well.

SleekyHair

I use L'Oreal sulfate free shampoo I got at walmart. I think it's the Everystrong line in the green packaging. It says Ceramide in the front. It gets my hair clean and makes it feel soft. They also have an overnight repair mask I've been using on my ends and love that as well.

Do you use the overnight repair mask every night? I have it, but I've only used it the night before my washes because I'm afraid of build-up.
Which sulfate free shampoo did you buy? I wanna get one, but I can't choose between the 3.

JC-Junkie

Hello Ladies !!! I would like to join this challenge if it's not too late :)

What products will you use ? L'Oreal Elvive Damage Care Repairing Masque, L'Oreal Elvive Full Restore Conditioning Replenish Spray Leave In :)

How often will you use it ? I will use the leave in when ever I wash my hair 2-3 times a week and DC with the masque at least once a week.

What is your application method ? DC and Leave In.

Will you deep condition with ceramides ? Definately !!!

I was wondering if you guys know if there are any Skala products in the UK ?
also gonna purchase some WGO tomorrow !!

Great Thread OP and great advice from everyone !!!!!

yodie

I mixed some of the cera repair vial into my chi silk infusion. Its working great!!!

Last edited:

LaidBak

Well, I have been loving my sunflower oil thanks to SleekyHair, but lilikoi 's post now has me thinking I wasted my money. I should just go back to the almond oil I used to use when I first came on LHCF. *sigh* Too bad really, 'cause the sunflower oil is so light and makes my hair soft and shiny. I like it much better than WhGO. But I want ceramides, so I guess I gotta switch.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Good thing is I have almond oil too. Well I have sweet almond oil is that the same thing? I plan to continue using the ceramide oils I had before because I was fine before I knew about the concentrations.

LaidBak

lilikoi What does this mean?

almond oil-- Looks like 22% ceramide out of 10% polar lipids in the total oil sample (90% neutral oils) which represents a correction: ignore this--->ceramide<----

What are we ignoring? What is the correction? Does almond oil have ceramides or not?

yodie

Would the L'Oreal overnight repair mask be similar to Mizani's H2O cream?

Did I miss something? Is sunflower oil no longer a ceramide or does it have a very low concentration?

Sherae

Do you use the overnight repair mask every night? I have it, but I've only used it the night before my washes because I'm afraid of build-up.
Which sulfate free shampoo did you buy? I wanna get one, but I can't choose between the 3.

I use the repair mask whenever my ends start not feeling as silky - usually every other night. I wash twice a week so it never builds up. I have very few split ends now. I also use it on my roots when they're feeling dry or crunchy. The shampoo is the Everstrong Sulfate-Free Fortify System. It's not that cheap but I usually catch it on sale.

SleekyHair

Did I miss something? Is sunflower oil no longer a ceramide or does it have a very low concentration?

I've never tried the Mizani H20, but I think they might be similar. The L'Oreal one is cheaper and has no mineral oil/petroleum though..

Where does it say that sunflower oil is not a ceramide?? I think it just has a low percentage (like 1-2%) rather than the 68% that was posted earlier.

Sherae

I'm not sure how it compares with the Mizani because I've never used it. I've been using the overnight repair mask for about 2 months now and my hair always feels strong and silky in the morning.

xquisitduchess

i gave sunflower oil another chance. it is not as bad as i had originally thought. it will be a good ceramide to use when flat ironing or wearing my hair down because it is very light. it however does not make my hair as soft has hemp seed oil. hemp seed oil makes it easier to detangle and i retain moisture much longer. i dont know after this bottle if i will repurchase.. we will just have to seee

lilikoi

lilikoi What does this mean?

almond oil-- Looks like 22% ceramide out of 10% polar lipids in the total oil sample (90% neutral oils) which represents a correction: ignore this--->ceramide<----

What are we ignoring? What is the correction? Does almond oil have ceramides or not?

I meant: ignore the word "ceramide" (in gray) in that one spot of that sentence because the correct term was "sphingolipid". I made the correction after someone had already quoted my post with the mistake so I just grayed it out.

Last edited:

LaidBak

I meant: ignore the word "ceramide" (in gray) in that one spot of that sentence because the correct term was "sphingolipid". I made the correction after someone had already quoted my post with the mistake so I just grayed it out.

OK Thanks. And thanks for the clarification on that other list. It reminded me to always verify for myself the things I learn in here before I go and change my regimen.

lamaria211

i gave sunflower oil another chance. it is not as bad as i had originally thought. it will be a good ceramide to use when flat ironing or wearing my hair down because it is very light. it however does not make my hair as soft has hemp seed oil. hemp seed oil makes it easier to detangle and i retain moisture much longer. i dont know after this bottle if i will repurchase.. we will just have to seee

i have a mix called uli oil with wheat germ oil, sunflower oil and jojoba oil and i looove it works great!!!!

casey3035

Can anyone tell me if Jane Carter Nourish and Shine have Ceramides. I hear this for air-drying but I want ceramides.