Official 2010 Ceramides Challenge

Oils high in ceramides...(Sorted by percentage)

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32%

I'm a little surprised that Wheat germ oil isn't #1 since it seems to be the most popular.

I wanna try Safflower oil now.

I'm a little surprised that Wheat germ oil isn't #1 since it seems to be the most popular.

I wanna try Safflower oil now.

Me either..my hair is doing WONDERFUL with the wheat germ oil...I wonder how much better it could possibly get with Safflower Oil..hmmm

Wow safflower oil has 78% ceramide.s I would have thought hemp seed oil or wheat germ oil would have been the first two. Anyhow I think I may take a trip to the health food store again. I saw safflower oil but would have never thought. After I finish my hemp seed oil I will give that one a try, at least safflower oil does not need to be refrigerated.

Yeah, those percentages are enlightening. I wish there was a way I could sample a small amount of each of the top four. All I want is an odorless, light, bling-inducing oil.

Anyone using these products who are natural? That article doesn't seem to say that these products help with natural hair. Wondering if I should try or not. I love to prepoo with coconut oil, interested in putting this in my rotation

I'm natural and haven't had nay problems. I use alba organic kukui oil as a sealant.

Just came from buying some sunflower oil. It was the only one from the list I could find out here. I had to get a liter of it (they had nothing smaller), but with the exchange rate it only cost me $2. So if I don't like it its no great loss. I will use it to seal tomorrow night after my touch up.

I haven't posted in this thread in a while but Im still involved! I dont know if this has already been posted but I found this info about ceramides on a hair board when I googled more information about it, and I have been meaning to share.

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32%

I don't see kukui nut oil on this list but I sure want to try some, its just very expensive in its pure form, about $7/oz where I shop! There were a few other oils listed but the percentage was so low that there was no point in me including.

Anyway, I ran out of rice bran oil and haven't ordered anymore, so I tried peanut oil. It made my hair soft but I smelled like jiffy for a little while lol! Then I tried safflower oil as an oil rinse. I luv it! It made my hair sooo soft and it doesnt have a smell at all! I think I have made the switch from rice bran to safflower now! I also have been using the myhoneychild type 4 haircream as a moisturizer, which contains ceramides. This stuff is really thick but it makes my hair soft and shiny!

this is the most comprehensive list i believe i have ever seen!

and so specific with the percentages, as well!

i am really surprised to see that whgo is not at the top, though i do love it....good to know

thank you beautyaddict1913

NJoy, gotta get this list!

wow very nice list i currently use wheatgerm oil mixed with sunflower oil and jojoba oil they worl really well for me. i do have a bb mix that i bought which contains just about all these oils but i bet not very much and who knows the purity ill give it a try and report back

I feel even better about using my ORS products now. The hair mayo has safflower oil and WhGO and the replenishing conditioner has soybean oil. I need to go re-stock :yep:

Last edited:
i ordered some sunflower oil, hemp oil and coconut oil about 2-3 weeks ago. i love the hemp seed oil, i am able to retain moisture longer and the shine and softness from it is incredible. The sunflower oil on the other hand is very disapointing i see people on here saying it does not have a smell...but mine does it has a really strong smell. it doesnt smell spoiled but it has this extremely strong sun flower seed smell it does little to nothing for my hair as far as shine and softness goes. Anyway my question to the ladies using sunflower oil in their hair is does yours have an odor ? i have FLORA sunflower oil from vitacost

Anyone using these products who are natural? That article doesn't seem to say that these products help with natural hair. Wondering if I should try or not. I love to prepoo with coconut oil, interested in putting this in my rotation

luckiestdestiny, I love using my WGO. It's really starting to turn my natural hair to something even better than I imagined it could. You should check it out. I mostly use mine as a form of a sealant.

i ordered some sunflower oil, hemp oil and coconut oil about 2-3 weeks ago. i love the hemp seed oil, i am able to retain moisture longer and the shine and softness from it is incredible. The sunflower oil on the other hand is very disapointing i see people on here saying it does not have a smell...but mine does it has a really strong smell. it doesnt smell spoiled but it has this extremely strong sun flower seed smell it does little to nothing for my hair as far as shine and softness goes. Anyway my question to the ladies using sunflower oil in their hair is does yours have an odor ? i have FLORA sunflower oil from vitacost

I have Tourangelle sun flower oil (TJ Maxx) and it has no smell.

ALERT! This is really erroneous information!

I haven't posted in this thread in a while but Im still involved! I dont know if this has already been posted but I found this info about ceramides on a hair board when I googled more information about it, and I have been meaning to share.

Safflower oil 78%
Grape seed oil 73%
Poppyseed oil 70%
Sunflower oil 68%
Hemp oil 60%
Corn oil 59%
Wheat germ oil 55%
Cottonseed oil 54%
Soybean oil 51%
Walnut oil 51%
Sesame oil 45%
Rice bran oil 39%
Pistachio oil 32.7%
Peanut oil 32%

Sorry to rain on the parade but we need to clarify this.

That lists refers to linoleic acid percentages, NOT CERAMIDES.
The original list appears here:
http://www.news-medical.net/health/Oils-Rich-in-Linoleic-Acid.aspx

To my knowledge, there's no natural plant-based oil that contains such high percentages of ceramides as listed in the quoted thread (usual content is way less that 10%). The original poster probably found the erroneously labeled list at the long hair comunity forum (sorry,no link for this one--it's again this forum's rules. But you can look it up. The tread title is " Ceramides" in the "Mane" forum...) The poster there didn't even bother to mention a reference.

I looked up a couple of scientific papers on lipid analysis of various oils. The percentages listed are:
rice oil-- ~1% ceramide
walnut oil-- ~2.3% sphingolipids (wich are mostly but not totally composed of ceramides)
almond oil-- Looks like 22% ceramide out of 10% polar lipids in the total oil sample (90% neutral oils) which represents a correction: ignore this--->ceramide<---- sphingolipid concentration of ~2.2 % and a ceramide concentration of %60 of that for ~1.32% ceramide in the total oil amount (someone check my math):

"Lipid classes of almond oil
The analysis of oil A showed the presence of five lipid classes (Table I). Neutral lipids were found in high amounts (89.9% of total lipids) and the predominant lipid class was the triacylglycerides (84.7%) while the polar lipids represented 10.1% of total lipids. The polar lipids were found to be consisted of 22% sphingolipids and 78% phospholipids. Further analysis of sphingolipids presented two distinctive groups of which type III and type IV ceramides were 60% of total sphingolipids. In the phospholipid class the predominant phospholipid was phosphatidylethanolamine (37% of phospholipids)."

Here's the links to the original research articles:

almond: http://www.znaturforsch.com/ac/v59c/s59c0330.pdf
rice: http://www.journalarchive.jst.go.jp...ssue=3&startpage=719&lang=en&from=jnlabstract
walnut:http://www.znaturforsch.com/ac/v57c/s57c0051.pdf

P.S. beautyaddict: I know you meant well. Thanks for your intention to share this with us

Last edited:
From reading the naturalhavenblogspot synthetic ceramides are much more potent than natural oils so im keen to try the redken extreme range has anyone tried this range relaxed or natural??

coconut I use that line.

lilikoi we need to investigate this further. Wish there were a chemist in the house....thank you so much for the info.

My B.S. degree was in chemistry! I don't work as a chemist now, though. Does my post need clarification? Do you have any specific questions? I can try to answer...

Last edited:
To the ladies that use products with ceramides, do the shampoos contain ceramides as well?
I'd like to switch over to a ceramide product, but I have to use up my cera repair vials first.
So, can anyone highly recommend one of the product lines? Sounds like Redken is a good one. What about Joico? Do all Joico products contain ceramides?

My B.S. degree was in chemistry! I don't work as a chemist now, though. Does my post need clarification? Do you have any specific questions? I can try to answer...

Naw girl, I understood you perfectly, thank you again! I mean I want a chemist to test out all these oils and put them in ranking order for us. LOL

If someone doesn't come away from LHCF with some real knowledge other than co-washing and deep condition with moisture/protein, then they missed out.

Tell me more :grin:

relaxed or natural?

do u use the full line?

im interested in the shampoo and con and the anti snap im stretching my relaxer so im weary of different shampoos as i dont want my natural hair to get tangled been there done that :nono:

yodie

I'm relaxed 4a/b; med; med. density - I use the extreme line but to use the entire line is alot of protein, so I wouldn't make this my only line. I guess when I get around 4 weeks I use the line including the extreme DC. I follow up with Redken Real Control for moisture and end using Anti-Snap.

I use Anti-Snap after every wash/rinse/DC treatment. If water has hit my hair, 2 pumps of Anti-Snap gets used.

If you are stretching I would go ahead and use the extreme line, and follow up with your moisture. The shampoo doesn't give the hair lockjaw either.

The other line I use is Sebastian Light - (rice bran oil) I use the conditioner for co-washes and I love it.

I don't use shampoo enough (I dilute and only use a little bit)- the ones I use outside of Extreme don't have ceramides. I rely on my oil steam treatment for the bulk of my ceramides.

Last edited:
yodie

I'm relaxed 4a/b; med; med. density - I use the extreme line but to use the entire line is alot of protein, so I wouldn't make this my only line. I guess when I get around 4 weeks I use the line including the extreme DC. I follow up with Redken Real Control for moisture and end using Anti-Snap.

I use Anti-Snap after every wash/rinse/DC treatment. If water has hit my hair, 2 pumps of Anti-Snap gets used.

If you are stretching I would go ahead and use the extreme line, and follow up with your moisture. The shampoo doesn't give the hair lockjaw either.

The other line I use is Sebastian Light - (rice bran oil) I use the conditioner for co-washes and I love it.

I don't use shampoo enough (I dilute and only use a little bit)- the ones I use outside of Extreme don't have ceramides. I rely on my oil steam treatment for the bulk of my ceramides.

thanks alot i will def get the anti snap to start with

Ladies do anyone have a pic of the Safflower Oil they are using? I went to the health food store today to purchase one and the guy directed me to the cooking oil section. I was like...Uhm, I don't think so. I think it is supposed to be more for cosmetic reasons? LOL

Am I wrong? Is it the same as the one you cook with?

From reading the naturalhavenblogspot synthetic ceramides are much more potent than natural oils so im keen to try the redken extreme range has anyone tried this range relaxed or natural??

Again, a lot of these websites make a lot of claims without actually citing any references (argh! pet peeve) and that misleads the reader. Someone replied to that blog in the comments sections saying:

"Little One, you are right that they only add ceramide in small concentrations- as low as 0.1% to 0.5% (emphasis mine). The L'oreal study used 0.1% and was clearly more than sufficient.

The concentrated product from L'Oreal claims to be 10 times more concentrated than what you would find in hair (which is not much anyway lol). However that is the claim."

I totally agree with that comment. Now, if you the concentrations (listed in my previos post) of ceramides in the three oils I bothered to research is 1-2%, which is 10 more that loreal used in the study! Imagine the benefits if you use a ceramide rich oil everyday!

Naw girl, I understood you perfectly, thank you again! I mean I want a chemist to test out all these oils and put them in ranking order for us. LOL.

Ok, I got cha!

I guess I already contributed three oils to the list. LOL. I'll keep digging and then we can rank them!

Has anyone spiked their serum (chi silk infusion or whatever else you use) with the cera repair (vials) ceramides?
I like the oils for dc's and prepoos. Other than that they weigh my hair down if applied more than once a week. Serums don't weigh my hair down as much. Time to experiment!

ETA: just added cera repair to chi silk infusion. I think this is a keeper for me. Yay!

Last edited:
Back