New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

1. I'm a year a few weeks post relaxer.
2. Plan on BC'ing March 5th, so I have a little less than 3 months to go!
Right now my hair is in a weave and I'll keep it like this until a little after New Years.

I decided to wash my hair myself over the weekend...what a disaster that was!:ohwell: I had such a hard time detangling and blowdrying my hair. Granted, it was 11PM on a Sunday night and I was sooo sleepy. So, I went to my hairstylist on Tuesday and had her chop 3 inches off my hair. My ends were getting quite thin and needed to go. At this rate, I don't think I'll be able to make it to 24 months as I have little relaxed ends left.

Attachments

• Photo0260-2.jpg
    Photo0260-2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 86
Aww, what an appropriate first post! *waves hi to everyone*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. How far into the transition are you? 11 days shy of 4 months
2. Whats your transition goal? 1yr, if I can make it that far, then we will see! Baby steps, baby steps.

OMG! Do you go to MICHIGAn?????

^^^That's some awesome growth for 8 months girl! How long do you plan on going? A year?

Thank you NikkiQ, I planned on going 18 months! However the washes just keep getting harder even when I section. The relaxed ends tangle so easily :ohwell: I'll see what the new year brings, maybe it'll happen sooner.

How far into the transition are you? 1 day shy of 6 months post
What's your transition goal? 18 months, if I can make it to that point!

I am glad I am not the only one having a moment this week! I washed my hair myself and attempted to flat iron it after letting it air dry in a ponytail overnight...OH MY GOODNESS! My hair acted a donkey yall It took me an hour and a half to flatiron my hair! If it weren't for me trying to look nice for Prince, I would have given up LOL It is just getting ridiculously thick :(

It was the first time I really felt like maybe I can't do this and should just relax. Thankfully, the moment passed, but it scared me...I just bought 4 wigs, but I am thinking maybe I need to get braids again to avoid detangling right now. I am confused yall...I need advice!

And btw, CaramelKissed, I live in Ann Arbor too, so maybe we can share hair info, spots to get products, etc....

I am glad I am not the only one having a moment this week! I washed my hair myself and attempted to flat iron it after letting it air dry in a ponytail overnight...OH MY GOODNESS! My hair acted a donkey yall It took me an hour and a half to flatiron my hair! If it weren't for me trying to look nice for Prince, I would have given up LOL It is just getting ridiculously thick :(

It was the first time I really felt like maybe I can't do this and should just relax. Thankfully, the moment passed, but it scared me...I just bought 4 wigs, but I am thinking maybe I need to get braids again to avoid detangling right now. I am confused yall...I need advice!

And btw, CaramelKissed, I live in Ann Arbor too, so maybe we can share hair info, spots to get products, etc....

yup I had that moment today but mine was the opposite. I wanted to chop off these ends. It's so thick and I love it but it doesn't swing or hang like it used to.

So it seems like HH and Aussie Moist are the most popular responses. I never thought to try anything from the Kinky Curly line. I'm kinda lame and didn't think it would work on both textures of my hair :ohwell:

I'm holding off on trying Kinky Curly as well because based on the descriptions, it seems to perform best on fully natural hair.

Thank you NikkiQ, I planned on going 18 months! However the washes just keep getting harder even when I section. The relaxed ends tangle so easily :ohwell: I'll see what the new year brings, maybe it'll happen sooner.

I find it helps me to wash in sections in braids (recommended by another transitioner -- don't remember who). I braid my hair in four sections and cowash and DC while in the braids. When I rinse out the DC, I take one braid out, detangle, and braid it up again to air dry. I do that with each braid. I never have all of my hair out to detangle --- it's too frustrating. At first I was worried that product wouldn't get to all of my hair in braids but it hasn't been a problem. This has been working for me since 6 months post.

Maybe airdry in more than 1 ponytail. That way it is already sectioned off and may be less overwhelming as you work each section.

I’ve been transitioning for 15 months (60 weeks).
I plan to transition for 24 months (104 weeks) or until I can get my natural hair into a ponytail.

I'm in braids now but as soon as I get them out, I'll roller set and wear my hair our for about a week - a month, then I'll be wigging it till the 2 year mark (Sept 2011).

HHG to everyone.

I want a relaxer, I'm so tired of detangling my hair :( please tell me some of ya'll feel like this

You know what helped me was to DC on dry hair I would get a moisturizing conditioner or a conditioner with some protein in it and add oil.. I would put my cap on and when I go to co-wash my hair would be so soft to the roots and easy to detagle.. TO co-wash I tried yes to carrots conditioner and that just melted my NG.. Then I just used Aussie moist 3 min and rinse that out and my NG melted again..

Don't give up hang in there

Any of you ladies ever do two strand twist with just your hair? I dont wanna wait til I'm natural lol please post pics if you've done them before or you know someone who has (e.g. a youtuber, fotki other than nina pruitt). I know Traycee did them on her relaxed hair as well.

I did it and the 1st time was a hot mess..:blush: Then I tried it again the 2nd night and mine looked more I did bantu knots and similar to when I was relaxed.. I'm at work don't have any pictures now but I will post the relax bantu nots and in transition bantu knots

Hey ladies! What is everyone using for detangling their NG? Almost 8 months worth and it's starting to become a battle lol. All my V05 and Suave conditioners work, but I wanted to see what else is out there.

What helped me was to DC on dry hair mixed with an oil.. Also You might need a thicker conditioner like Aussie Moist, HE, Suave Shea and Almond Butter Conditioner, Tresseme Naturals and Moisture Rich.. Unless that suave is one of the thicker conditioners.. I also use Suave Professionals.. My fave is say yes to Carrots OMG this stuff I just used for the 1st time last nigh and I could finger comb my NG at 1 year.. After I co-washed with the Say yes I then used Aussie Moist 3 min and that melted my NG.. I think it started with the DC on dry hair..

All of those conditioner I mentioned I have used them all..

For those who are already 12+ post, do you guys feel like the transition became easier after the one year mark?

I think different is a better word. As more natural hair appeared, my hair's needs changed and I had to deal with it in a different way. By the 1 year mark, the relaxed hair was ANNOYING for me. The only reason I haven't BCd is because I simply can't have hair I can't pull into a bun on my head.

For those who are already 12+ post, do you guys feel like the transition became easier after the one year mark?

I guess in a way you could say it does feel easier because I'm closer to my goal and I have a lot of growth but as far as detangling goes I think it gotten worse but I always come up with a way to tackle it and make it better for me.. It feels like once I have it mastered my hair does a 360 and I have to think of another way to master the detangling..

1. How far into the transition are you? 4 1/2 months (8/5/10)
2. Whats your transition goal? Long enough to pull back into a ponytail...I can't wait to rock an afro puff! I was going to go for one year but I'll be happy to make 6 months! You ladies have beautiful hair and a wealth of patience! Some of you have new growth goals longer than my hair has ever been in my life, relaxed or otherwise! I just cut off about 2 inches on Sunday, it was very tempting to move the scissors down closer to the thicker new growth...

For those of us who get bored/ frustrated taking a break really helps. I'm still in my braids they look so old *shrugs* but I just purchased an afro pony a few days ago so I'll be wearing it with the old braids for a few days I might post pics tomorrow.

I think different is a better word. As more natural hair appeared, my hair's needs changed and I had to deal with it in a different way. By the 1 year mark, the relaxed hair was ANNOYING for me. The only reason I haven't BCd is because I simply can't have hair I can't pull into a bun on my head.

^^^I totally agree with all of the above. :yep:

1. How far into the transition are you?
15 months :D

2. Whats your transition goal?
To be honest, I can't be that bothered to set a specific date to BC. I'm trying to take it easy with my hair, so I guess it'll just happen when I feel like doing it. My general goal for the near future is to have a big afro, and a stretched length of at least APL, maybe BSL :yep:

It feels the same. At 6 months post the summer humidity destroyed my braidouts and I have been bunning ever since. I have not had any problems detangling because I DC for several hours. I am now waiting for the summer so I can BC and be over with it.

I did it and the 1st time was a hot mess..:blush: Then I tried it again the 2nd night and mine looked more I did bantu knots and similar to when I was relaxed.. I'm at work don't have any pictures now but I will post the relax bantu nots and in transition bantu knots

I'm confused:spinning: lol I was asking about two strand twists.......not twist outs:look:....although my twistouts look a mess too but I don't even bother with those because they take longer to do than braidouts. But yeah, I want to rock some twists:yep:

But I'd still LOVE to see your pics and I'm sure the other ladies would too:yep:

Last edited:

naw shook ain't changed lol I still have my moments every now and again but what makes it easy is not dealing with it. I only detangle like once a month so other days, it doesn't really bother me because it's only in a bun or a braidout or something. Right now I'm in braids and with the front flat ironed so I've been wearing half wigs and berets or whatever they are called. I guess thats what makes it easy. In the summer, I was co-washing multiple times a week and the constant manipulation is what was pissing me off! I think leaving my hair in braids with only the front out will be my staple until it gets hot.

I'm confused:spinning: lol I was asking about two strand twists.......not twist outs:look:....although my twistouts look a mess too but I don't even bother with those because they take longer to do than braidouts. But yeah, I want to rock some twists:yep:

But I'd still LOVE to see your pics and I'm sure the other ladies would too:yep:

Sorry I don't know why I was thinking about twist outs.. I tried to post the pics but I kept getting an error

Here are the pics of my phony pony with no gel and old crappy braids :lachen:. The first pic is the style I have still when it was new. For the fourth pic it looks a little shiny I guess it's the camera it wasn't shiny :ohwell:

Attachments

• braids.jpg
    braids.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 49
  • afro puff lhcf.jpg
    afro puff lhcf.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 53
  • afro puff 3 lhcf.jpg
    afro puff 3 lhcf.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 46
  • afro puff 4 lhcf.jpg
    afro puff 4 lhcf.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 42
I'm about 25 weeks into my transition and it's going ok. I'm transitioning with heat though so washing, deep conditioning and straightening weekly. My new growth is making me shed a lot of hair and the de-tangling makes my scalp hurt :( but i'm determined to go natural this time so i'm sticking with it and will alter my regimen as I go.

I know transitioning with heat is not ideal but I just don't know what else to do. I don't like weaves/breads and work in a corporate environment so can't just let it be or have a bun that isn't nice and smooth. Hopefully it gets easier with time.

I'm about 25 weeks into my transition and it's going ok. I'm transitioning with heat though so washing, deep conditioning and straightening weekly. My new growth is making me shed a lot of hair and the de-tangling makes my scalp hurt :( but i'm determined to go natural this time so i'm sticking with it and will alter my regimen as I go.

I know transitioning with heat is not ideal but I just don't know what else to do. I don't like weaves/breads and work in a corporate environment so can't just let it be or have a bun that isn't nice and smooth. Hopefully it gets easier with time.

You can't slick your hair back using gel or pomade and a scarf?

@topsy if your hair is long enough you can also do braidout/twistout buns your hair is blended and tucked away.

You can't slick your hair back using gel or pomade and a scarf?

The two tubs of gel I have don't slick my hair back assuch. They make my NG behave better but not lie down flat. I do sleep with a satin scarf but when I shower, the edges get wet because I have a funny hairline where my two sides are more out than the front parts.

@topsy if your hair is long enough you can also do braidout/twistout buns your hair is blended and tucked away.

This is a good idea Bibirockz. The problem is consistency. I can't wear a bun all week 'cos I don't think it suits me that well.

Back