need help (for ladies with hair past the shoulder)

prettybrownjaz

So I've made it to a good almost shoulder length, but I need help on how to keep my hair healthy past shoulder length. Like what things have helped you get past the shoulder, safely with minimal breakage? Please Help!!!

Hi prettybrownjaz

I saw your photos and I also went back and glanced over your other post when you introduced your progress about a month ago. It looks like things are comely along extremely well! From that post, sounds like you have a solid regime intact. The only thing you *may* want to consider is spacing out how frequently you do your Aphogee damaged hair treatment (I read that you do it every 6 weeks). I found that after so many uses, my hair got a lot harder than I cared for. This is just a suggestion, and if you haven't noticed anything like that, by all means, don't change
wink.gif

The main tips I can offer are going to be the usuals on this board:

moisturize daily
protect your ends
protective styles
baby your edges
quality hair tools (quality comb/brush, silk scarf at night or satin pillowcase)
gentle techniques--brush, comb, wash, detangle your hair carefully and take time to do it properly.

Resist the urge to constantly change your regime; or, if you find something new that worked for someone, but doesn't work for you, don't keep doing it just because there is a rave thread about it. Not only is it discouraging for you, you can even damage your hair in the process...

Concentrate more on the health of your hair, instead of worrying about the length. Length will follow health. Your priority should always be taking care of the hair you have and keeping your scalp healthy.

Trim only when needed. I am one of those people that believes occasional dusting is necessary. But make sure that you have a stylist that listens to your wishes and only trims (not cuts).

Patience and consistency. Don't set 'deadlines' for when you want hair to reach a certain length. It can be a goal or ideal, but keep positive
grin.gif

You'll reach your goals, just don't set time limits on them, do what U need to do to keep your hair healthy and you'll get there.

Hey prettybrownjazz
wave.gif
, Kaela gave you great advice. I especially agree with consistently keeping your ends moisturized and finding a stylist who trims about 1/4th of an inch of your ends only when needed instead of cutting (like so many of them do). Additionally, I sleep in a satin scarf as well as on satin pillowcases only (no more cotton pillowcases for me forever,lol
laugh.gif
). I also try not to wear my hair down when wearing "non-silky" types of fabrics like cotton and wool etc... On the whole, as long as you take good care to keep your hair moisturized, stay away from too much direct heat, eat healthfully, drink lots of water, and take your vitamins your hair will continue to accumulate length.

moisture was predominately key for me. my hair grows as long as i keep it moisturized, and i mean moisturized from root to tip. i find when i ignore moisturizing my crown, the roots there can become very, very dry, so i pay special attention to moisturizing daily from root to tip. It and not trimming is working.

Back