NATURALS: How long did you transition before you did the BC

pinkchocolatedaisy

See, here I go again... I need to stay off this site! LOL. Really I tried for almost 6 months and I decided I wanted to go back to relaxers due to frustration and lack of patience. I think it is the relaxed ends that are giving me grief... I realy can't deal with the tangles! :wallbash: I see all these beautiful natural heads- I've been fotki stalkin' and I wonder if I am going to regret relaxing again. When I was relaxed I always wanted more textured styles- big full hair. Sometimes I like to wear my hair straight, but I like curly/wavy/big hair. I just don't think I can BC yet but w/o doing it I may lose my mind! I'm not worried about DH and what he thinks if I BC- he thinks when I'm wearing a wig it's my natural hair! :lachen: so that's not even an issue and I've seen how fast people's hair is growing back once they did the chop and it looks absolutely beautiful! If I were to BC I don't want it super super short like close to my scalp.:nono:

7 months
I didn't see any reason in keeping my relaxed hair anymore PERIOD. It was pretty dammaged anyways and I would have cut it even if I didn't plan on being natural.

My relaxed kept tangling and falling out anyhow it looked malnourished compared to my natural hair. I could no longer hide the fact that I had not had a relaxer in months :lol:

i said 5 before but technically it was 3. my last relaxer was nov 25th. i attempted to self relax in feb but it didn't take(get straight) :lachen:
so basically i was jacklaxed and didnt know it. my hair was straight for 2 weeks because i flat ironed it,and then it was:look:
eta: the pic in my siggy was the end of nov

You can always start your transion again. I went for 9 months during my first transion and then relaxed, and immediately regretted it!. You will do it when feel ready!

A year, maybe? I did mine in braids, though, back to back to back, trimming each time I came out of them, and I started with a Halle Berry style cut, too, so I didn't have that much relaxed hair to get rid of, anyhow. :lachen:

See, here I go again... I need to stay off this site! LOL. Really I tried for almost 6 months and I decided I wanted to go back to relaxers due to frustration and lack of patience. I think it is the relaxed ends that are giving me grief... I realy can't deal with the tangles! :wallbash: I see all these beautiful natural heads- I've been fotki stalkin' and I wonder if I am going to regret relaxing again. When I was relaxed I always wanted more textured styles- big full hair. Sometimes I like to wear my hair straight, but I like curly/wavy/big hair. I just don't think I can BC yet but w/o doing it I may lose my mind! I'm not worried about DH and what he thinks if I BC- he thinks when I'm wearing a wig it's my natural hair! :lachen: so that's not even an issue and I've seen how fast people's hair is growing back once they did the chop and it looks absolutely beautiful! If I were to BC I don't want it super super short like close to my scalp.:nono:

I did a BC after two years of transitioning. This was before LHCF, so I didn't know the terminology or that's what I was actually doing. I just knew that I didn't want relaxed hair anymore, so I allowed it to grow shoulder neck length, and then had my stylist cut it to ear length. I digress...

But I don't think you need to cut your hair completely short. I just had the relaxed ends cut off so that I was completely natural.

Wow... thanks ladies for all your responses. I am still not sure. You see I love the curly/natural looks as I said before. I would love the freedom. And I am curious to see what my natural hair looks like. I don't want to BC but I can't deal with the 2 textures and I don't know if I could wait longer to bc... am I making any sense? :look: I HATE shrinkage though and I know that comes with the territory of being natural. That is one plus of being relaxed, your length is obvious. So... Idk :rolleyes: really I don't. Maybe I just need to take a break from this and just think long and hard about what I really want. Part of me feels that deep down, whatever I do decide on, I am not 100% doing it for ME. It can't be for my DD or DH or what others on any of the hair boards or IRL think. And I think that's the problem. I just really need to do me.

7 months. But I didn't think of it as transitioning even though I spent the entire time in braids.

Lot's of ladies here have had and are having sucessfull loooooong transitions somebody just started a thread about it.

I think most transitioners agree that months 6 -8 are the most difficult. The natural starts to take OVER and it feels like there's a war going on somewhere on your head. I would say: stick it out. I think sometimes people get frustrated, and BC, and then they aren't ready for the short hair so the lack of length sometimes drives them to texturize or relax again. If you want the curly look go with braidouts or twistouts. Take advantage of the texture you already have - or put it away for a bit in braids or cornrows.

Wow... thanks ladies for all your responses. I am still not sure. You see I love the curly/natural looks as I said before. I would love the freedom. And I am curious to see what my natural hair looks like. I don't want to BC but I can't deal with the 2 textures and I don't know if I could wait longer to bc... am I making any sense? :look: I HATE shrinkage though and I know that comes with the territory of being natural. That is one plus of being relaxed, your length is obvious. So... Idk :rolleyes: really I don't. Maybe I just need to take a break from this and just think long and hard about what I really want. Part of me feels that deep down, whatever I do decide on, I am not 100% doing it for ME. It can't be for my DD or DH or what others on any of the hair boards or IRL think. And I think that's the problem. I just really need to do me.

Good Luck on deciding what to do. I was confused too, and I was ready to perm my hair, but I really wanted to go natural. I couldn't deal with 2 textures, my new growth was a pain and I just didn't have the patience to go any longer so I just chopped off my permed ends and I don't regret it. I love being able to co-wash every morning.

&it rained today, I had no umbrella and I didn't even care about my hair getting messed up :lachen:

14 months...still transitioning.
What conditioners are you using?

Sounds like you need something to help with the detangling.

Silicon Mix
Ors Replenishing
Coconut Oil.
Also have you tried detangling with your hair submerged it water?
That was very helpful to me for a while.

If you're not sure, then try not to make any quick decisions.

Maybe you can get your hair braided for a while while you make up your mind.

Either way...I'm here for you.

Four months before I couldn't take it anymore. The tangles the needless breakage, etc. Plus I really wanted to see and feel and love my natural hair.

14 months...still transitioning.
What conditioners are you using?

Sounds like you need something to help with the detangling.

Silicon Mix
Ors Replenishing
Coconut Oil.
Also have you tried detangling with your hair submerged it water?
That was very helpful to me for a while.

If you're not sure, then try not to make any quick decisions.

Maybe you can get your hair braided for a while while you make up your mind.

Either way...I'm here for you.

thank you.. you're so sweet!
I section my hair into 4 braids and co wash (when I was I section into 4 ponytails and wash ea section at a time- that has worked). Right now I am using Tresemme thermal recovery conditioner (which really gives great slip) or Aussie moist or Cabellina del Caballo (I like that one too). But once my hair dries it's CRAZY! I really don't know how to style it at this point. I just took my hair out of braids after wearing them for a month and it took me hours to detangle my hair- even with it wet, I had to keep adding conditoner and getting under the water! LOL. I haven't tried that ORS replenishing pack or silicon mix. I have coconut oil and I do love that. Yes, I am just not going to to anything just yet- no cuts no relaxing. I am weighing the pros and cons of either side and looking at pics of both natural and relaxed hair. My problem is that I love styles on both. :ohwell:

I think most transitioners agree that months 6 -8 are the most difficult. The natural starts to take OVER and it feels like there's a war going on somewhere on your head. I would say: stick it out. I think sometimes people get frustrated, and BC, and then they aren't ready for the short hair so the lack of length sometimes drives them to texturize or relax again. If you want the curly look go with braidouts or twistouts. Take advantage of the texture you already have - or put it away for a bit in braids or cornrows.

Thanks for your suggestion... I can't cornrow or French braid and I tried simple braids to do a braid out and I looked like nobody love me- that's how bad I looked! Same with twistouts. And I reaLLY love these looks. I am really challenged when it comes to styling.

Back