Natural with a protein question

purplepeace79

Ive never done a protein treatment

I wouldnt know how to recognize if I needed one or if my hair needs protein. Someone on another thread brought up the issue about doing protein treatments after removing braids. Well, I just took mine down day before yesterday and was wondering how I could tell if my hair could benefit from a protein treatment.

What are the signs that your hair is lacking protein?

FYI
My ends are color treated, but overall my hair is well-moisturized and strong. I havent had breakage. I monitor that but keeping my blondish ends as a measuring stick for breakage. IOW, if I still have my blondish ends, my hair hasnt broken off.

My hair has been growing well this last year and I want to keep it that way, but as its growing out (and I'm not coloring), there is definitely a difference in the texture. My colored ends are a bit crunchier and coarser than my roots and shafts, which are a bit silkier.

My hair is fine in strand and not dense.

I use Garnier Triple Nutrition 3 minute undo mask + jojoba (both warmed up) as a DC, once a week for 45 minutes under shower cap and towel.

When out, I cowash with Organix Tea Tree Mint conditioner 2-3x a week.

I shampoo with Burt's Bees Grape fruit and sugar beet poo 2-3x a month

I acv rinse 1x a month

I rotate moisturizers between CD Marguerite's magic, my mix of shea butter, aloe vera gel, and grapeseed oil, and now Qhemet Biologics burdock root creme.

I seal with castor oil

Do I need protein treatments?

PPGbubbles

if I see hair breaking excessively when I comb I do one or if my hair feel too soft.

I have been consistent with the protein treatments in between braids/ weaves and after this instal I didnt notice any broken hairs so i didnt so a treatment.

It has a lot to do with knowing your hair and seeing how it reacts to products. Honestly it took me a year to really figure out the moisture protein balance because my hair is fine and protein sensitive.

mkd

Before I found the boards, I was not using protein at all. I have A LOT of color in my hair that I am growing out now. My hair is fine and not very dense. My curls were kind of limp and did not pop much. Since incorporating a light protein once a week, my hair is much stronger and my curls are much more defined. I would suggest trying a little protein followed by a moisturizing DC just to see if you notice a difference. Maybe use an egg so you don't have to buy anything. I know some naturals don't need protein but I think with color treated hair, it helps.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I've been natural a little over 2 years and never did a protein treatment. I suffered from persistent dryness, perpetual breakage, and tangles like you wouldn't believe.:nono:

I've just starting using the Aphogee 2 minute protein treatment and my hair has never felt better. I was amazed at how easily my hair separated when I had tangles and the breakage has been drastically reduced.

A lot of naturals seem to thrive without protein so unless your hair is mushy or breaking constantly, etc. you may be able to go with it.

purplepeace79

Thanks ladies for this useful information!
I was wondering about the color thing and if it would help the ends.
But, since I dont have a problem with dryness or breakage, I think I will skip it.

Neala21

Protein actually can help those with color treated hair, relaxed/texalaxed or any chemical treatment for that matter. Also for those who use heat and other tools that may cause damage. With protein its all about balancing. Chemical treatments break down your hair chemical makeup (hair is made of protein for the most part) So by doing a protein treatment it mends to the hair to filling in missing "gaps" (taken away by chemical treatments or other damaging methods).

But why fix what aint broke, too. Plus you could be getting all the protein you need from everyday things like conditioners, leave-in and styling products.

Resources:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...lack_hair_need_protein_treatments.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
TO BE HONEST. I NEVER KNOW WHEN I NEED A PROTEIN TREATMENT. I JUST DOO ITTTTTT. I USE APHOGEE. I DO THE HARD STUFF. AND I DO IT EVERY THREE WEEKS, NOT SIX LIKE IT SAYS TO DO ON THE BOTTLE. HHAHAHAHA. AND I MOISTURIZE LIKE NOBODYS BIZZZNASS. LOL I JUST DO IT