Do You Need to Protein Treat If Your Hair Is Not Breaking?

wyldcurlz

i hear so much about protein treatments and know the importance of them. but do i really need to do a protein treatment if my hair isn't breaking? i get a little bit of shedding (i rinse my hair almost daily and apply conditioner & gel) but don't have breakage (that i notice.) but since hair is keratin (protein) i'm sure it'd benefit from some protein treatments...right?

can someone clarify?

and is Aubrey Organics GBP a "good enough" protein treatment? or should i look for something like aphogee?

my ultimate goal is about 5 more inches of growth. clarification on this topic would be sooooo helpful.

IMO, a light protein such as Aubrey GBB should suffice if your hair is not breaking. Im one of those people whose hair only likes lighter proteins.:)

I've only used mild protein treatments like Keraphix every few weeks, not because my hair is breaking but to keep my hair strong.

Since your hair isnt breaking, it would be best to use a light to mild form of protein. Protein strengthens the hair so it doesnt break, if your hair as a proper balance of moisture and protein, it will thrive. Hardcore protein treatments like Aphogee arent necessary unless your hair is breaking badly IMO.

Prevention is key. I use them regularly with or w/o breakage just to keep things in check and to prevent breakage from happening. Like the other ladies said, all you should need is light to medium protein. IMO once or twice a month should be fine since you don't have a breakage problem.

Most of the times I've had breakage it is because I need moisture, not protein. Protein makes it worst, when I need more moisture.

I do a protein treatment once a week with Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor...not sure if I need to or not but I have not noticed any negative changes to my hair. I have less shedding and breakage though. I also use an ORS replenishing pack once a month.

I agree with everyone else a mild light protein should be used since you just want to prevent breaking not cure it. I do a light protein once a month and if im going to flat iron right b4

I agree with the ladies...although your hair is not breaking it would be good to use a light protein weekly or bi-weekly (however you prefer) I have no breakage but I still do light proteins treatments weekly. I use Aphoghee 2 minute reconstructor, Motions CPR, Fantasia Anti-breakage cream, ORS hair mayonaise, or AO GPB...I rotate these on a weekly basis:) I will admit that I am looking for a heavy protein treatment because it wouldn't hurt to do one every 6 weeks.IMO:)

Wow, this is a good thread with some awesome info! :yep:

I've noticed that naturals don't apply protein treatments as much as us relaxed ladies (I think we do it more because many of us use heat as well as chemical processes). So it depends on the hair. For me, I do protein treatments every week with conditioners/treatments that don't have a lot of protein in it. That way, I won't need a hardcore treatment.

Back