Weekly Protein: Yay or Nay?

Ms. Plain Jane

Last night I went to the salon and got a relatively unexpected trim.

My hair is growing nicely, but I had a couple of split ends and my split ends had a couple of split ends. Yeah- not good!

I think the culprit is a lack of protein, as my staple products are moisturizing products.

My questions are:

1) Do you do weekly protein treatments?
2) Does your hair get too used protein treatments, thus making them ineffective somewhere down the line?

Any additional comments regarding this would be appreciated. TIA!

I use a mild protein weekly too. I just started back doing it more often and it has helped me alot. I use motions silk protein, keraphix, marc anthony reconstructor or elasta qp breakage control serum once a week.

I use a mild protein weekly too. I just started back doing it more often and it has helped me alot. I use motions silk protein, keraphix, marc anthony reconstructor or elasta qp breakage control serum once a week.

Gym, is this mild? I just invested into this this weekend and I LOVE IT!!!! I just didn't think I could use it every week.

I found a new reconstructor and I'm going to start using it every week. I currently use light protein every day.

Last edited:
Last night I went to the salon and got a relatively unexpected trim.

My hair is growing nicely, but I had a couple of split ends and my split ends had a couple of split ends. Yeah- not good!

I think the culprit is a lack of protein, as my staple products are moisturizing products.

My questions are:

1) Do you do weekly protein treatments?
2) Does your hair get too used protein treatments, thus making them ineffective somewhere down the line?

Any additional comments regarding this would be appreciated. TIA!

I do protein treatments every 12-13 weeks, which is at relaxer time. If I use protein more frequently, I go into overload, even if I follow up with a moisturizing conditionier. I guess my hair does not require much protein at all to be strong...probably because I have lots of protein in my diet.

Regarding split ends, I haven't noticed any in over a year, since I decided to:
  • Stop brushing my hair
  • Comb my hair only when wet
  • Be gentle when handling and detangling
  • Moisturize my ends daily
  • Totally give up direct heat
Hope this helps.

I do protein treatments every 12-13 weeks, which is at relaxer time. If I use protein more frequently, I go into overload, even if I follow up with a moisturizing conditionier. I guess my hair does not require much protein at all to be strong...probably because I have lots of protein in my diet.

• Stop brushing my hair
Hope this helps.

Thanks! I am going to try to avoid brushing my hair and see what happens. My hair isn't long enough to do any thing else that you listed, lol.

I agree with the other ladies, I prefer to use a mild protein weekly to keep my hair elastic and to prevent future splits, my favourites are ORS Replenish pak and motions silk protein.

I've been dealing with a bit breakage/shedding lately. Nothing too dramatic, but enough for me to start weekly protein.

It's a definite NAY for me:nono:. I can't do protein too often. My hair does not like it or really need it I guess (I eat a lot of protein normally and take a great hair ,skin and nail multi) and I try to only use it the week prior to my retouch and the week after (washing twice per week). Otherwise I just do moisture or something w/ very light protein and moisture balance.

Last edited:
I use protein weekly, usually QP Breakage Control or Ion Keratin Rebuilder reconstructor. Most days I apply some sort of light protein to my hair.

Gym, is this mild? I just invested into this this weekend and I LOVE IT!!!! I just didn't think I could use it every week.

Its mild to me. I think the CPR is stronger. I only use it for 3-4 minutes in the shower anyway. When I want to use it for stronger purposes I use it with a shower cap for 15 minutes with heat.

Weekly protein is a "must" for me. I go with the ORS Replenishing Pack, MNT, ApHogee, and sometimes KerapHix (though I stopped buying it so I could use up the rest of my products.)

If my hair is in need of more protein, I regularly use TIGI Bed Head Chocolate Head or Nexxus Emergencee. These really help to fortify the hair.

i guess i use some sort of protein weekly...just my lacio lacio for my weekly rollersets...does that count? :look:

• Stop brushing my hair
Hope this helps.

thanks for sharing this sweetie!

I use protein weekly, usually QP Breakage Control or Ion Keratin Rebuilder reconstructor. Most days I apply some sort of light protein to my hair.

I have the Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum, but I have never used it! How do you like it? Is it a light, mild, or heavy protein treatment?

Back