Natural Short Hair is a beast!

peachykeen

I dont think I was warned about natural hair that is short. I wish a lot more people with shoulder length hair and shorter would discuss their hair journey's more often.

It's real cute to look at the Fotki's and youtubes of people with waist length natural hair. However, going from shoulder length to ear length hair that is all natural has been horrrible. I can no longer put my hair in a ponytail. I cant put it up.

I don't know what kind of "protective style" to put it in. I am so disgruntled. I was loving having my relaxed ends. The stylist that decided to big chop me against my will really messed me up. I have been so confused about what to do ever since that day. Has this happened to anyone else?

NinasLongAmbition

I know what you mean! Its a big change but its so easy to deal with, I know its not going to be this way for long so Im going to cherish it. I dont think there is any need for protective styling because I believe technically speaking your hair is in a protective style since its up off your clothes and shoulders just keep it moisturized. As of now my regimen is cowashing, coconut oil , shea butter and ecostyler gel. Thats it! Just rock it girl, accessorize, wear those cute headbands the options are endless, kinda.:look: If all else fails wig it.

JustSimplyTish

I was like that at first...But I have just embraced it...and tried to just deal with it by playing up my makeup, earrings etc...I BC'd in late December with only 2.5 months of new growth so very short hair

I will do wash and go one week...and this week I washed it and wrapped it flat and it looked really cute...I didn't think it would work but I sat under the dryer for about 20 mins and the style has lasted for about 4 days so far I just silk wrap it tight at night...It is not completely straight..it has a nice wave pattern going on and my husband keeps complimenting it so it must be working

But yeah it has been an adjustment...But know we will be there one day...it will grow

chebaby

i have been natural for 9 or 10 months and my hair is not yet full sl. i dont have big issues with my hair. i wear puffs which is my fave style and other times i wear twists. right now my hair is in twists and im fighting not taking them out yet but i like to have "out" hair because i like to play in it.
a couple months ago i wore braid out everyday and i loved it. although i cant wait for my hair to get longer, im enjoying this stage.

why dont you put twists in your hair? do braid outs? get a cute set of corn rows? or just wear afros and puffs?

BostonMaria

I didn't absolutely hate my hair when it was short, but yeah its a bit confusing when you do the BC and don't really know what to do with the short hair.

Have you tried using gel and doing wash and go's? You can always braid your hair and revisit later when its grown a few more inches.

peachykeen

Oh You all just dont know. I am glad you came in here and said something. I have literally been losing it for the past couple of weeks. Now that I see I am not alone I feel better. I felt like crud. Im not even gonna lie. I just might look into braids and yes even a wig. I know that sounds so vain. But, I am use to hair length. I know I need to grow up, but maybe like BostonMaria said. I will revisit when I am ready to deal with it.

It was such a shock to my system. And, I am no where near letting my hair just be out in about. I have been wearing clip ins that have barely been covering my hair. But, it gave me the illusion of hair. LOL

This gives me hope, I was like how can I put this in a protective style this short. Now I see my hair is not that bad off cause its off my shoulders.

For the ladies that are rocking the short naturals, I admire you. You are what I supposed to be by the time I got my hair chopped off. But I didnt make it. Im a chump thats going to get her a wig.

OhSoOthentik

You should get on you tube and type in TWA. There are lots of videos there to help those of us with a twa. There is a woman named RimBlu4 and she has all kinds of tutorials and tips

nubiennze

I loved and rocked my TWA before my face, *ahem*, "filled out" (currently working on remedying that)...I've never had a problem with having short hair per se, but once I felt it wasn't flattering to my look, I began experimenting with braids, twists, and weaves to get me through the awkward phase of having hair too short to really do anything with and too long not to do anything with.

Now that I'm there again after my third or fourth (and prayerfully last) BC, I'm partial to braids with extensions (namely yarn and crochet braids) because they're easier for me to install and maintain and, more importantly, they ward off the dreaded single strand knot and prolong the life of my ends by keeping them protected from the elements (even though it's not long enough to rub against clothing, there are still winter hats, bedding, etc.) and perpetually stretched. I know extensions aren't for everybody, but I do think they're a means to an end for folks who don't want to have to wear short hair.

peachykeen

Yeah, I like straight long hairstyles. So I know even though I didnt want to. I am going to have to get a wig, weave or braids. The thing for me though is that I have tried both weaves and braids and they usually dont agree with my scalp. So that is the real issue for me.

JustSimplyTish

I can wear weaves as long as they are 100% human hair....anything else breaks my scalp, face and neck out terribly...I just don't do well with weaves or wigs...I wish I did....
You are not a wimp short hair is not for everyone...I prefer me with longer hair, cuz I have a fivehead...But I have worn both for many years that it doesn't phase me as bad...But do I wake up at least a few days a week and wish my hair was back long, and wonder if I made the right decision to BC so soon...all the time...But then I think six months down the road and I know it is all worth it. Don't be so hard on yourself...I am sure there are a lot of things about each individual that they wish they could change in a snap, hair, weight, etc....

nubiennze

Hmm...when you say they "don't agree," what kind of issues are you referring to? And have you thought of experimenting with wigs? LadyPaniolo would be a good resource for this option...

Yeah, I like straight long hairstyles. So I know even though I didnt want to. I am going to have to get a wig, weave or braids. The thing for me though is that I have tried both weaves and braids and they usually dont agree with my scalp. So that is the real issue for me.

blackbarbie

I dont think I was warned about natural hair that is short. I wish a lot more people with shoulder length hair and shorter would discuss their hair journey's more often.

It's real cute to look at the Fotki's and youtubes of people with waist length natural hair. However, going from shoulder length to ear length hair that is all natural has been horrrible. I can no longer put my hair in a ponytail. I cant put it up.

I don't know what kind of "protective style" to put it in. I am so disgruntled. I was loving having my relaxed ends. The stylist that decided to big chop me against my will really messed me up. I have been so confused about what to do ever since that day. Has this happened to anyone else?

I don't have a whole lot to add about handling short natural hair (which is the very reason I transitioned for almost 3 years!) but maybe some more ladies will chime in. But do you mind elaborating on how the stylist big chopped you against your will? I can't even imagine that; I think a little of this would have been going on >>>>>>>:catfight:

BB

a_shoe_6307

It can be hard. Real hard. For me wash and goes are not an option because as my hair grows past EL it starts to go wavy and straight so I can't rock the cute curly styles or the poofy hair like some of the ladies on here. I can't put it in a ponytail either so I like you I was lost. So what did I do...I got braids. They REALLY helped me get over the rough patch of the first few months. Now I can at least smooth it back or wear my half wigs and have my hair look decent. I know it's hard now, but trust me it will get better. If you are not exactly happy with it right now cornrow it (if it's long enough) and rock wigs or get some braids until your hair gets where you can be comfortable.

peachykeen

Hmm...when you say they "don't agree," what kind of issues are you referring to? And have you thought of experimenting with wigs? LadyPaniolo would be a good resource for this option...

I always get scalp bumps over my head. I dont even its too tight or what. But I have tried cornrows, micros and a full sew in weave with a cap. The weave didnt give me bumps. But man when I took that weave out after one month. My whole head was full of dandruff.

peachykeen

I don't have a whole lot to add about handling short natural hair (which is the very reason I transitioned for almost 3 years!) but maybe some more ladies will chime in. But do you mind elaborating on how the stylist big chopped you against your will? I can't even imagine that; I think a little of this would have been going on >>>>>>>:catfight:

BB
She told me she would not cut it off and that it would be a gradual trim. Next thing you know she turned me around away from the mirror and went to town. Then when I got turned away my hair was short. :blush: All the relaxed hair gone. Then this woman tells the whole shop that I am transitioning. I promise I dont have not even one millimeter of relaxed hair left. What a jerk. Yeah I wish i had slapped her silly, not paid her and burned her license. But none of that happened. Im just not going back.

bablou00

I went from semi-long relaxed hair to ear length hair in June and although it was a shock and the shortest Ive ever been it wasnt all that bad. I have a lot of pics in my fotki from when I first BC'd till now. I would try to look at others who BC'd around the same time as me or tranistioned the same length as me. Of course I would look at longer lengths but mainly focused on people who were around my length. There are a lot of accessories and/or styles you can do to spice up short hair!!!

Iluvsmuhgrass

Right now I'm wearing my wooly beast in a wng and experimenting with different products. I did a blowout and omg I HATED it. I wanted my shrinkage back ASAP. The different textures are driving me NUTS. I swear I saw this hair that had HUGE 3b curls laying on my 4 a/b fro-ey goodness..... I thought who's hair is that hanging (I literally went through a mental list of people I've been around) and I reached up and snatched it.... right.... out.... of..... my...... scalp o_O It hurt so bad. Not only that, I also have straight ends when manipulated with product. And when I leave them alone sopping wet they curl up with the rest of my hair.

I could scream.... if I wasn't busy playing in my grass. :) As nutty as it's driving me, I still love it. :love:

ConsiderCamille

I definitely feel your pain. I've had long relaxed hair since I can remember and I did a spur of the moment BC last yr and it is a shock even when its planned. I just complimented the short length with big earrings, pretty make up, on point eyebrows lol. Other than that I do a wash and go or bantu knot outs. I actually got so tired of it that today I went and got it washed and blow dried for the first time in a year and I plan on wearing it (semi) straight until I get my next set of braids in a week or two.

nubiennze

Sounds like a too-tight install. :yep: When I have braids I just shampoo and condition as usual (maybe a little less frequently, like once a month with weekly scalp cleansings using some sort of toner in between). That and moisturizing with a good spray helps to stave off the dandruff.

You know what though, you sound like a perfect candidate for wigging. You could rock straight styles that look a little more natural (at least with a good lace front) and take it off every night so you could get to your scalp. Whatever you decide I hope you find something you feel comfortable in so you can enjoy your TWA phase (even if you aren't wearing it out :lol:). This time will fly by, and it'll have grown out before you know it. :grin:

I always get scalp bumps over my head. I dont even its too tight or what. But I have tried cornrows, micros and a full sew in weave with a cap. The weave didnt give me bumps. But man when I took that weave out after one month. My whole head was full of dandruff.

HollyGolightly

I wasn't comfortable with my short natural hair. I wore weaves until it grew out. I started wearing wigs at the beginning of last year and experimented with styling my hair for a few months before I was confident enough to rock it outside the house.

The awkward stage will be over before you know it!

honeybuni84

I did it for a while.. I bc'd down to the nitty gritty.

i had about 4 months of progress, but it was uneven and kinda scraggly looking.... I went in the barber about a week after i bc'd to get my son's hair cut.. and the barber was like :look: "I'll do you next".. He cut of what little hair i had left and i had a fade...lined up and all

that was honestly what helped me the most.. It felt like a real style that I could rock and it was easy since i had no clue what i was gonna do with it..

I also played with earring and makeup really and it helped how i felt about it in general.. As i think back now, i wish i wouldnt have wasted that time wishing for a wig.. Each of stage of hair growth has it's perks... That one was easy wash time, my hair was already styled and i loved it.....

You can get through it and you will