Natural Heads: My Homemade Leave-In Spray, Whats Yours?

CoCoRican

Mochaeye candy your mix sounds so simple and heavenly! I love rosewater! Tones my skin so well and it smells wonderful.

MagnoliaBelle

I usually add the last drops of whatever leave-in conditioner I run out of and water to a spray bottle and add a few drops of castor oil, glycerin, rosemary oil, and food grade aloe vera gel. I just use this whenever I need to mist my hair a little or wet the front a little in order to smooth it back.

Nasdaq_Diva

*BUMPING*

Now that it is summer, looking for more mixes.

For now, my leave in is : Water, infusium, Scurl and Suave.

I want to find something even better than this!

Mz.MoMo5235

1 spray bottle

fill 1/2 water

fill to neck (so another half) with infusium 23 (sallys generic version)

1-2 globs veg glycerin (each glob about dime-nickel sized)

few drops (about 3) tea tree oil

give it a good shake and there you go
-----------

recently i added some lotta body to it. didnt make a difference in my mix so next mix will not have it. i'm now considering adding honey to my next mix

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

do you find a major difference (in the feeling of the hair maybe, results in moisture retention, cuticle sealing..... )when you use distilled water vs. tap or boiled water?
1 spray bottle

fill 1/2 water

fill to neck (so another half) with infusium 23 (sallys generic version)

1-2 globs veg glycerin (each glob about dime-nickel sized)

few drops (about 3) tea tree oil

give it a good shake and there you go
-----------

recently i added some lotta body to it. didnt make a difference in my mix so next mix will not have it. i'm now considering adding honey to my next mix

NuBraveHeart

just started this and i love it on my natural/texlaxed hair. it fills a 3 oz. bottle:

about 1/5 of the bottle of s-curl "no drip"
1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil
rest is water

shake and spray...

soon2bsl

***Question... for those that mix oils with their leave-ins...Since oil acts as a sealant, wouldn't it block out the moisture if you mix it in your leave in and spray it on your hair? Just want to know because I've been making my own leave-in mixes as well, but always thought if I add oils to it, it won't moisturize my hair like it should? But on the other hair I always mix oils in my DC and my hair turns out great! Well just let me know, I've been wondering this for a while and would like to start adding some of my oils in my mix, if it doesn't block the moisture out. TIA!

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I mix CD's Black Vanilla leave-in with mineral water and aloe vera gel, right now I'm out of both so I'm just using mineral water. I'll stock up soon.

lwilliams1922

I've been eyeing this oil for a while now, what are the benefits?

I just buy and try oils. :grin:
I find quite a bit of goodies in the TJMAXX food section.

Right now it's on the top of my oil list.

It's light and seems to penetrate better instead of just sitting on top feeling oily.

sithembile

I mix equal parts of water, glycerine, rosewater, plus a few drops of aloe Vera juice, jojoba oil and lemongrass e.o. for scent.

BabySteps

I've been using:

Distilled water, aloe vera juice, rosewater, glycerin and coconut oil. I like it. My hair didn't like s-curl.

Nasdaq_Diva

***Question... for those that mix oils with their leave-ins...Since oil acts as a sealant, wouldn't it block out the moisture if you mix it in your leave in and spray it on your hair? Just want to know because I've been making my own leave-in mixes as well, but always thought if I add oils to it, it won't moisturize my hair like it should? But on the other hair I always mix oils in my DC and my hair turns out great! Well just let me know, I've been wondering this for a while and would like to start adding some of my oils in my mix, if it doesn't block the moisture out. TIA!
For me, it depends on the oils used. Like, I use EVCO as my moisturizer and Castor oil or Shea Butter as the sealant. EVCO has small enough molecules (from what I've been reading) so it penetrates the hair strands.

Mz.MoMo5235

do you find a major difference (in the feeling of the hair maybe, results in moisture retention, cuticle sealing..... )when you use distilled water vs. tap or boiled water?

umm, i cant answer this. i've always used tap water :lachen: i never knew why other people was using special water lol i always figured if its good enough to wash my hair in then its good enough to spray on it lol

fatimablush

Black tea or green tea
distilled water
rosewater
Georges aloe vera gelit is distilled and resembles water
biotera leave in conditioner from sally's
castor oil
silk amino acids
some essential oils if i have them around the house.

nikolite

I think the oil helps spread the water in the mix. It doesn't block out the water at all (my hair soaks it up) but it does keep it from evaporating so quickly. Oil floats on top of water--only thick petrolatum or grease can block out water to that extent. But my mix is made of mostly water and Infusium 23 anyway, with only about 20% of Hot 6 Oil.

Rikinkkulus

Aloe Vera Gel, spring water, jojoba oil and rosemary and lavendar essential oils.

I had to post since this thread gave me some help figuring out how to make a spritz!