Nape Challenge for 2009?

Congrats on your progress and discovery, Shaboom! I can't wait to see you pics. What's honey minosa?

I used to have a nape problem, like when I tried to put my hair in a high ponytail, I would have all these short rouge fly-away pieces at the nape.

Now I apply relaxer to the nape last when applying relaxer, and I make sure to moisturize the nape daily. I also make sure the hair at the nape is under my scarf at night. And now I no longer have a problem with it

Ladies I don't have a fotki yet but as soon as I get it up there I'll have a separate album for the nape.

Last edited:
Checking in. I'm trying to find a solution to my shorter, kinkier nape and why it seems to grow so much slower than the rest of my hair...puzzling...also the texture is completely different....i'll investigate and get back with you guys...still in the challenge.

btw, my nape has grown and it is now officially off of my shoulders....now to apl.

I think I'm finally going to take my braids out this weekend. I'm having problems with my Sprint card for my laptop but I hope to post pics soon. I'm still using Surge 14 and Worlds of Curls moisturizer and it seems to work well for me.

Keep up the good work everyone!

I am officially (cuz that's my focus now) unofficially(can't yet post pics) IN!!
I am doing coffee nettle rinses. These really promote growth and adds pretty colors. The shortest part is now long enough to be braided into the layer above it so now I braided the last layers of the nape into 3- 4 braids (my own hair--allergic to synthetic). Now I am playing the waiting game. I DO see light at the end of this tunnel. Have any relaxed heads with damaged napes use BKT? If so, did it help strengthen this section? I have been searching and searching, but I haven't found enough regarding this. The closest was Cubanit, but I read she is offline now. It would be interesting to hear an update from her. She used BKT in 2008.

I'm not sure if I joined this challenge, but since using Mega tec and Vatika oil, my nape is the smoothest it's ever been. Thanks Ladies.

Simone

I am officially (cuz that's my focus now) unofficially(can't yet post pics) IN!!
I am doing coffee nettle rinses. These really promote growth and adds pretty colors. The shortest part is now long enough to be braided into the layer above it so now I braided the last layers of the nape into 3- 4 braids (my own hair--allergic to synthetic). Now I am playing the waiting game. I DO see light at the end of this tunnel. Have any relaxed heads with damaged napes use BKT? If so, did it help strengthen this section? I have been searching and searching, but I haven't found enough regarding this. The closest was Cubanit, but I read she is offline now. It would be interesting to hear an update from her. She used BKT in 2008.

Welcome, Reyna!! Please keep us posted on your progress. I'm going to have to try that coffee nettle rinse.

I'm not sure if I joined this challenge, but since using Mega tec and Vatika oil, my nape is the smoothest it's ever been. Thanks Ladies.

Simone

please may i join?? my nape takes the longest to grow, it really annoys me.

Welcome Simone and Kimmy!! :wave: Please keep us posted on your progress!

I took my braids out but now I can't find my digicam. :wallbash::wallbash: I'm on the road now but I hope to take some pics of my nape. I got some good growth with Surge and WOC so I'm going to continue using it--especially on my nape.

Anyone else have updates?

Hey Platinum, Ladies,

Don't worry about not being able to find your digicam, if you haven't found it yet. Maybe you can measure your trouble spots and give us an idea of how much growth you've had.

I'm in braids right now. I've been wearing them about 1.5 months and I took a break in between of about 2 weeks. I've got about an inch of growth, and what's really been helping is the protein treatments between braids.

Whenever I start to get a lot of breakage (usually about every 4 weeks), I do a protein treatment and then there's just a little bit of shedding over the next day or so but then it stop completely. My hair used to be so brittle it would break to the touch, but not anymore.

The only problem is that protein dries your hair out so the hair on the top of my head that thrives on moisture gets more brittle afterwards, so then I have to over-moisturize for 3 days before my hair gets back to normal.

I've gotten about an inch on my nape since we started, which isn't much since my hair is so nappy back there, but it's not bald anymore. I actually wore my braids up in a ponytail today without fear everyone could see my kitchens because the bald spots are all grown in. Just hope it lasts.

Anyone else with any updates? It's been quiet on here.

Shaboom

:bump:

How is everyone doing? My nape is growing really good now. It's still uneven but the longest strands are 2 1/2 inches now.:yay: I'm back in braids now and I continue to balance the protein and moisture, cowash 3-4 times a week and DC atleast twice a week. I have also decided to transition to natural.:grin:

Keep up the good work, Ladies! Hopefully I'll be able to post pics by the time I remove my braids.

:bump:

How is everyone doing? My nape is growing really good now. It's still uneven but the longest strands are 2 1/2 inches now.:yay: I'm back in braids now and I continue to balance the protein and moisture, cowash 3-4 times a week and DC atleast twice a week. I have also decided to transition to natural.:grin:

Keep up the good work, Ladies! Hopefully I'll be able to post pics by the time I remove my braids.

Congratulations of your nape progress..

Are you still wearing the micros and retaining length?

Congratulations of your nape progress..

Are you still wearing the micros and retaining length?

Thank you. I'm not wearing micros this time, I'm in box braids. I may go back to micros or try senegalese twists next time. I think moisturizing daily has a lot to do with my retention.:yep:

I have a small update. I took out a few braids in my nape area today and I'm really surprised at the growth that I'm getting. Surge and Worlds of Curls are the truth!:yep: I'm going to continue transitioning to natural. Here's a pic:

1247506946.jpg

I'll try to post a better pic soon. I'm having a hard time getting a good pic of the back of my head with my camera phone.

How is everyone else doing?

Congratulations Platinum...

How long was your nape before you started the challenge? It appears that most people have improved their nape by not relaxing that area so you are on your way!

Congratulations Platinum...

How long was your nape before you started the challenge? It appears that most people have improved their nape by not relaxing that area so you are on your way!

Hi there. My nape was in bad shape. I had 1/2 inch strands in some areas and "peach fuzz" in others. When I was using relaxers, I was relaxing my nape last and using moisturizers but it I still had severe breakage.:sad: I decided to do a year stretch on my nape so I could work on gaining length and strength. Now that I see improvement, I've decided to transition to natural.:yep:

Platinum:

I would like to join the challenge. I am about one inch away from APL but my nape which has completely broken off has prevented me from celebrating any progress with the rest of my hair. I think that the 4z texture is different from the rest. My hair is now in weave by Breon except for the crown and the nape. I'm using Moisture Mist by Shescenti and Lisa Akbari's Moisture Plus Moisturizer. I'll report on the progress

Where did you get surge? Which WOC product are you using?

Thanks!

Platinum:

I would like to join the challenge. I am about one inch away from APL but my nape which has completely broken off has prevented me from celebrating any progress with the rest of my hair. I think that the 4z texture is different from the rest. My hair is now in weave by Breon except for the crown and the nape. I'm using Moisture Mist by Shescenti and Lisa Akbari's Moisture Plus Moisturizer. I'll report on the progress

Where did you get surge? Which WOC product are you using?

Thanks!

:welcome: Yes, you can join this challenge. I noticed that even though my nape is like a 4z, it's much more fragile than the rest of my hair.:sad: Stylists used to apply relaxers to my nape first instead of last. I would always have severe breakage and couldn't understand why.

I stocked up on Surge last year when I learned that the product was being discontinued. I still have a few bottles left but I can't find it anywhere. A few months ago, I heard that some people were selling it on Ebay for up to $50 a bottle.:eek::nono: As for WOC, I just use the moisturizer spray. I use it instead of braid spray and it works great on my nape.

Hey, my nape is officially past shoulder length, not apl, but gaining on it...this time last year my nape was the length of Platinum's picture, so I know how you feel to gain progress. Great job, Chica! Keep up the awesome work.

Hey, my nape is officially past shoulder length, not apl, but gaining on it...this time last year my nape was the length of Platinum's picture, so I know how you feel to gain progress. Great job, Chica! Keep up the awesome work.

Great job, Br*nze! Keep up the good work!

Please do tell, what did you do to obtain your progress!!

Back