MSM Side Effects...

Flu-like symptoms?????? Please stop..

My first impulse was to stop taking it, but then I wasn't sure if that was a symptom of rapid detoxification that I should ride out????

I'm not really sure what to do, this is a bit scary.

I have been using the msm capsules spring valley brand from walmart for about two weeks, I have experienced that my period came in a week early and the other scaring effect I had was my lymph glands along my jaw near my ears have enlarged, I know this usually happens if are sick, ear infection, throat infection etc I did not have anything like nor I was sick but the only thing I noticed was the MSM added recently to my regimen.

To the ladies that MSM messed up their cycles, did it ever get better or did you just stop taking it? I've been taking it for about 2 weeks now and I have noticed some spotting...

I am in my second week of taking MSM. I use the Lignisul MSM at the lowest dosage and working my way to increasing the dosage every two weeks.

Results so far, I have not had any break outs, headaches, anything unusual. My face looks clearer and my knee does not hurt as much. Oh yeah, I take the Ester C with my MSM.

I take mine with Ester C as well. No affects. It has helped me in so many ways. My three younger children take it daily, 1000mg, great for allergies and we also use it in a gel form for skin irritations and bug bites! It is really awesome if you can take it.

To the ladies that MSM messed up their cycles, did it ever get better or did you just stop taking it? I've been taking it for about 2 weeks now and I have noticed some spotting...

Yes, it becomes normal again. I still take it. For me less bleeding, bloating, and pain. It is awesome!

Yes, it becomes normal again. I still take it. For me less bleeding, bloating, and pain. It is awesome!

I have less pain as well, I haven't noticed less bleeding because I never paid attention. MSM is the bomb and has become a staple to my daily vitamin routine.

My first impulse was to stop taking it, but then I wasn't sure if that was a symptom of rapid detoxification that I should ride out????

I'm not really sure what to do, this is a bit scary.

MSM is a natural detox. If you can ride it out, that is better, however, if you cannot, lower your dose and gradually get back to a level where you find comfort. Try it with some Ester C, they are really great together.

For me, when I was taking MSM capsules I would get my periods EVERY 14 DAYS, like clockwork! I couldn't figure out why but decided to stop taking these things and the biweekly periods ended. THis is why I'm cautious about taking them again, I'm wondering if the brand I got wasn't pure or if taking the crystalized version would be better, anyways I am hesistant.

I went throught kind of the same thing. In my case it cut down my periods from 5 days long to 2 days sometimes just one day long. It scared me. Other than that it made my skin look marvelous. But I would not take them again because of what it did to my periods. I mean what if it was Highspeeding me to menopause,:nono:. It took me over a year to get my periods to what it used to be.

bumping this thread...I'm on my third day of MSM, and I feel like death. The flu-like symptoms are no joke. I'm chugging even more water than usual now, and it's getting a little better, but wow...

MSM is a powerful Detox supplement, it made me very sick years back

I'm thinking of trying it again in very very small doses and building from that

although it was a small dose that made me sick in the first place. I really would like to give it a try again

I stopped taking this a long time ago because it made me gain so much weight, and I couldn't get it off until I stopped taking the pills. I mean I was very big for my normal size...like over 30lbs gained. The hopes of bigger breasts and longer hair was not worth it for me.

I was taking MSM for years ( I stopped when I found out I was pregnant) and never had any negative side effects. I noticed better hair and nail growth. I have arthritis and my aches and pains were significantly decreased. I started out on a low dose and increased over time so that may have made a difference in seeing no side effects. The most I was on was 3000 mg. I purchase most of my vitamins from SwansonVitamins.com

I stopped taking this a long time ago because it made me gain so much weight, and I couldn't get it off until I stopped taking the pills. I mean I was very big for my normal size...like over 30lbs gained. The hopes of bigger breasts and longer hair was not worth it for me.

Yep I've noticed the weight gain too! :sad:

it makes my period appear which i hate, i got sick once but i was taking alot of suppls at the time. i will try small doses again

I took MSM for the first time last night, one 1500 mg pill. I ordered it from Puritan's Pride since they are having the Buy 1, get 2 free sale. I woke up before my alarm went off, this doesn't usually happen. I will up the dosage to 3000 mg on Saturday, since the recommended dosage is two pills daily. I don't think I would want to go any higher than that though.

I've been taking MSM since March and I still get these occasional bumps that aren't pimples (when I try and squeeze them, they never come to a head), they are kinda hard, tender and they are raised. Does anyone know how I can prevent these things from showing up. TIA!

I've been taking MSM since March and I still get these occasional bumps that aren't pimples (when I try and squeeze them, they never come to a head), they are kinda hard, tender and they are raised. Does anyone know how I can prevent these things from showing up. TIA!

Sounds like you're describing what's called cystic acne/pimples. They're deep in the skin. Just wanted you to at least know what it's called. But most people say that drinking more water and taking a Super B complex and vitamin C helps prevent acne (cystic and regular pimples).

I honestly believe cystic acne has to be dealt with internally and I don't think anything topical will work since it's so deep but I may be wrong. But that's just my belief and from my experience with it. By the way, I take the vitamins I mentioned and drink water and it's helped tremendously but not completely. I still get the cystic ones but they're really minor and small and they go away much faster.

Good luck and HTH!!

I am having abdominal cramping and vaginal pain that I think is being caused by this MSM..has anybody experienced this? It almost feels like I am having PMS symptoms everyday and it sucks. I am only taking 1 pill per day, 1500mg. I had planned to up it to 3000mg but my abdomen is killing me. I am going to try to stick it out because I am really trying to have my skin be the best it can be.

It may be a part of the detoxifying of your skin. Try applying crushed vitamin C and MSM along with little water to the bump. It may help pull the mess to the surface.

I haven't had any negative side effects...I'm taking the Vitamin Shoppe brand and only 2000mg a day. I'm thinking maybe I'm not taking enough.

Sounds like you're describing what's called cystic acne/pimples. They're deep in the skin. Just wanted you to at least know what it's called. But most people say that drinking more water and taking a Super B complex and vitamin C helps prevent acne (cystic and regular pimples).

I honestly believe cystic acne has to be dealt with internally and I don't think anything topical will work since it's so deep but I may be wrong. But that's just my belief and from my experience with it. By the way, I take the vitamins I mentioned and drink water and it's helped tremendously but not completely. I still get the cystic ones but they're really minor and small and they go away much faster.

Good luck and HTH!!
Thank you so much for responding! I've never had cystic acne before MSM and it sucks! I just wanted to know how much and what brand of Super B complex do you take? right now, I take 400mg of MSM, 1000mg of vitamin C and 2000mg of biotin. Would taking the Super B complex be an overload of vitamin B since I'm taking biotin?

I am having abdominal cramping and vaginal pain that I think is being caused by this MSM..has anybody experienced this? It almost feels like I am having PMS symptoms everyday and it sucks. I am only taking 1 pill per day, 1500mg. I had planned to up it to 3000mg but my abdomen is killing me. I am going to try to stick it out because I am really trying to have my skin be the best it can be.

I am having these sharp shooting pains down in my pelvis. I also feel a bit of pressur on my pelvis too. I didn't associate this with the side effects of MSM, but I am going to look into it.

Back